"Access Imminent" Sound (and how to remove it instead of pestering your opponent)

Since we’re discussing, the Trash sound is too loud relative to the other sounds…

I think is a matter of etiquette that’s worth discussing. Previously, I just assumed my opponent was impatient the few times I played against someone that immediately pressed F3 after the broke all the ice or just subtracted the credits required for it (I won’t get into the players that spam F3 three times to get the access). But, after seeming this and understanding @PeekaySK’s perspective it makes sense.

I agree with @Nordicstrike and thought this was the preferred etiquette:

Is this a better/less annoying way of handling accessing? I get that it’s usually faster to use your keyboard, but how do you handle unrezzed ice, do you select them or do you type “continue”?

No matter what the consensus turns out to be all change the sound thanks to your handy guide.

I just tell my opponent to hurry the fuck up, while spamming F3 any chance I get

7 Likes

My only regret is that the F3 siren doesn’t work outside of a run. I want my opponent’s computer to never stop emitting siren noises during their turn. Even when I’m the corp.

9 Likes

Maybe a doorbell sound would fit?

Like the first one on this page (it’s instantly downloadable as a mp3).

I’m perfectly fine about hitting f3 to acknowledge that they are done with their stuff. If it didn’t come with the beep I’d hit it a lot more often myself. That being said, I don’t care about an occasional beep here and there. I also don’t want to mute octgn completely since some sounds are useful, like the “knock knock” when someone joins your game and I’m tabbed away.

@db0 A simple checkbox to mute individual game sounds would be super nice!

2.3 specifically…

Just target the unrezzed ice as a runner and most people either

• rez it
  • press the “no rez” button
  • hit f3 to allow access and signal that you can ignore whatever is left

At least that’s how I see most people play.

3 Likes

Right, me too. So, if most people are targeting ice during runs, maybe the best way to signal runner intention to access is to target the server. I was just curious how @PeekaySK handled unrezzed ice, maybe he’s a super fast all keyboard player. Although, if all ice is rezzed or there is no ice, pressing F3 would just be faster.

1 Like

Hm, so far the consensus seems to be an overwhelming “the sound needs to be less annoying and all is well”. Going to take a look at coming up with some cyberpunk-themed sounds as well.

The problem with targetting the server card is that you see your opponent’s targets as deep green, which makes them pretty much invisible with the black token on the dark backdrop. Also, I don’t think I’ve really run into people doing it this way until maybe two weeks ago.

As a runner: targetting ICE as I’m going through it (never doing the “just subtract” thing, pretty much always running subs too, even in the case of annoying-to-handle stuff like Pop-Up… log readability is important to me). If the last ICE is unrezzed, I target it and wait for either the ctrl-2 sound of “not rezzing” or a rez. Most people that I’ve played so far do the not-rez and F3 in quick succession, so the siren never really sounds in these cases. After a rez, I handle the ICE and then F3 to signal I’m done.

Guess I do qualify as a super-fast keyboard player, now that I think about it - quite often having to do manual adjustments because OCTGN can’t keep up with my triple-advances and double-clicks for credits :smiley:

2 Likes

Interesting, and makes sense, except for the server targeting being hard to see. I haven’t had any problems seeing the targeted server as a Corp player. But, if it was hard to see and I missed it, I wouldn’t know :slight_smile:

I’ll have to take a screenshot the next time it happens so I can remember the colors and contrast correctly. Although screen settings and color perceptibility may vary.

This may be off topic and deserve it’s own thread, but the thing that slows me down in any OCTGN game is having to count the cash spent via icebreakers just to be sure it was all done correctly. Having to count all the (1x) and (2x) and again separately for both pumping and sub-routine breaking is tedious. Is there a way it can just sum them as “spent 5 with corroder”? Or failing that, even highlight the numbers in bright green or something?

2 Likes

Actually I think this has gotten worse recently. Since a bunch of the scripting updates I feel like the interface races with itself to forget some clicks or creds a lot more often than before.

Almost every single “expert” player I’ve seen play just manually adjusts credits for the whole run at once. Much faster for both players. Except when there’s BP. But even then sometimes I’d rather drag the temp BP counters off the runner ID than mouse around with the fiddly icebreaker popup box. Unless it’s a non-pumpable breaker (mimic/atman) that won’t make a popup box. And with a stealth rig, I always drag credits off my cloaks/silencers/ghosts without exception rather than trusting the octgn scripts to spend them properly; except when all the ICE is rezzed in advance and it’s the last run of the turn and I know+trust my opponent, I’ll shortcut even more and just issue the F3 siren without spending stealth creds at all.

Yeah… you can get pretty idiosyncratic with your shortcutting behaviours if you don’t have much patience for OCTGN automation.

1 Like

I’ve stopped doing this after several nasty arguments along the lines of The Axul Incident™ - hence the preference of clarity over speed. Might have something to do with usually playing against people I don’t know, though - would have no reservations against manually adjusting versus you gentlemen :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, and totally seconded on stealth being a mess. Just so conditional it really needs to all be done manually.

Getting off topic… but yesterday I was “lf corp adv”, testing out those max eater keyhole decks, and the dude who joined up was like “Actually I refuse to play against Maxx until her bug gets fixed.” “Um, I was just planning to manually put the cards back and shuffle each turn, no burden on you” “Yeah but I have no way to know that you put the right card back.” “Dude… we’re playing for casuals; I have no incentive to try to cheat you.” But he/she was not sold by this and gg’ed and quit after a couple turns. :\

3 Likes

While I’ve had similar issues with DBS not putting a card back, and I’ve always explained what I’m doing to my opponent in a similar way; I can understand someone not wanting to deal with the OCTGN-ness of the thing. And while I would trust you, having met you at worlds and having seen you post here, I wouldn’t necessarily expect that out of someone else.

Take it/Leave it. I think that when something is physically broken with OCTGN you can’t expect someone else to sit there with you while you fiddle everything else back into place.

Aside, I actually do wonder if shuffling everyturn would add to your consistancy. There are bad shuffles out there and if you shuffle ever turn you’d expect to move away from the peaks of badness over time, such that a bad shuffle might become statistically unlikely. But, what do I know?

People who press F3 immediately really annoy me, actually. Just calm down, have a little patience. It’s not going to more than a couple of seconds before I press F3 if i’m doing nothing, so you can just calm down and stop being so aggro about it.

This,

After you substracted all the credits for your run just wait a second or two(really, that’s all it takes) for me to press F3. If you are using your icebreaker pop-ups to break ICE, i usually F3 when they arrive at the last piece of ICE.

Alrighty then, after browsing the freesound archives, here are my suggestions:
(I can do any sound editing necessary, have previous experience in that area - just pick and tell me what needs to be done)

1. Deep bass rumble 3 - vaguely sci-fi, deep enough to not be irritating. Is it too long?
  • Future Retro Computing - this sounds like it might fit in well with the rest of the sounds
  • One beep off Scanner Blip - probably too sharp a sound not to be annoying, but it brings attention
  • Ufo pass - perfect for those moments when the runner just zipped by all your carefully placed defenses :smiley:
  • The first half of Boom 3 - should bring attention without being annoying
  • Whatever.wav - another one that might fit very well with the existing soundset

And, last but not least:

How about this (in its entirety, naturally) to make people long for the calm, soothing embrace of the current warning klaxon? :smiley:

Overall, I think I like numbers 2 and 6 best, followed by the deep rumbes of 1 and 5.

1 Like

Hey, @PeekaySK - it seems your thread isn’t wasted after all :slight_smile: !

3 Likes