Breaker Bay Set Review

Originally published at: Breaker Bay Set Review - StimHack

Discuss the latest article by @Crunchums here.

2 Likes

Solid. Blacklist at 3, though? Cmon, man.

1 Like

In a vacuum, Blacklist at 3 is reasonable. In the current meta itā€™s like a 4, I figure.

EDIT: I otherwise agree with Spags. Solid. Thank you for your time and effort!

1 Like

TERRIBEALE.

that is all.

2 Likes

Blacklist is strong right now because both Kate and RegMaxx are the new big guns.
It doesnā€™t do anything against most crims deck and if for some reason Andy/Leela/Gabe become big again, the card will just be a wasted deck slot.

3 is totally reasonable.

2 Likes

Itā€™s also quite good against Noise.

Also Headlock Reina.

EDIT: It isnā€™t amazing, but it does work with keeping Crecentus[sic] in the heap.

To be fair, Scrying Pool engines are a far more powerful idea in Dominion than Encryption Gagarin decks in Netrunner. Scout is indeed TERRIBEALE though, for sure. :wink:

1 Like

The only thing I disagree with is Meru Mati getting a 4. While itā€™s good on HQ, taking Corroder 3 to break over 1 for Ice Wall, itā€™s crap on any other server. You say that 2 cost for 1 strength isnā€™t bad, but I kinda think it is when the alternative is Ice Wall. At least with Ice Wall if you invest 2 credits you get 2 strength, and at 1 less influence (not that this is likely to be imported by other factions).

Iā€™d give it a 3, simply due to the absolute positional requirement of it. Crick and Turing I can see occasionally throwing over other servers because either their effect is very powerful or because you need to keep out AI for a bit, but Iā€™m never going to feel good about dropping a Meru over R&D.

Obviously, this is nit-picky as shit. Good review, keep em coming =)

3 Likes
  • 2 (+1) to Beach Party, with Aesop. Overdraw, play it, save your hand until next turn, discard it through Aesop is a move that you want to play in some (maybe niche, but working) decks.
  • 2 (-1) to Hacktivist meeting because between two scoring windows, the corp can totally avoid creating new servers. I played it on 10 games without it firing once. Either Iā€™m out of luck, either ā€œitā€™s rare it would do nothingā€ is not totally true. I agree on the info it gives, though but itā€™s not a 3 card, better a 2. Iā€™m now wondering if Scrubbed isnā€™t this bad compared to this, because Scrubbed have the authority that card lacks.
  • 2 (+1) I donā€™t understand the rating of Student loan. 2/3 protected would be a speed bump. If you put 3 to Blacklist, then this one need a 2, in a faction that can play The Root. Destroys SoT which is a common card (clic run it trash it for 3 + clic clic SoT + event cost, or clic clic SoT event cost +2 ?)
  • 3 (-1) to Meru mati. 2/1 are terribad ices (cs or grimoire / parasite: boom).

The rest I agree somehow.

[quote=ā€œSaan, post:9, topic:3817, full:trueā€]
The only thing I disagree with is Meru Mati getting a 4. While itā€™s good on HQ, taking Corroder 3 to break over 1 for Ice Wall, itā€™s crap on any other server. You say that 2 cost for 1 strength isnā€™t bad, but I kinda think it is when the alternative is Ice Wall. At least with Ice Wall if you invest 2 credits you get 2 strength[/quote]
No, you have to invest 2 creds and two clicks.

If only there was a Weyland ID where you could reposition your ice easilyā€¦ :wink:

Itā€™s really good, since you can use it as an early gear check for a remote and then reposition it to HQ to make it a taxing ice.

4 Likes

I think the Hayley combo is as follows: Start turn with beach party - game day - some other cards perhaps. Play Beach together with another resource (aesop) (Hayley trigger). Play game day. Do whatever with your click left. Next turn aesop beach party away before it triggers - play some cards, again getting a Hayley click.

Total cost: you drew Beach and Game (2 clicks) - you play both (3 clicks + 1$). You must also be ready to spend some clicks and $ to use cards this turn and next. Also not counting aesop, as itā€™s already a pretty good card for Hayley.
You get: Up to 10 cards, depending on what you had still in hand before Game + 3$ from aesopping Beach

Doesnā€™t Beach Party need to be in play at the beginning of the turn to grant the extra hand size? Seems your Hayley example has you installing it and taking advantage with a Game Day on the same turn. Wish it were so, as Beach Party/Game Day would be the most flavorful play for a college student ID to play.

Is that in the FAQ or something? Just reading the card, I donā€™t see why this would be the case. There are two distinct effects -

1. You max handsize is increased by five.
  2. When your turn begins, lose a click.

Theyā€™re even separated by a line break. I donā€™t see why one couldnā€™t do a Beach Party/Game Day combo to overdraw immediately.

4 Likes

Indeed flavouful for a student ID. Also when the party is over, you pawn the leftovers to Aesopā€¦

I donā€™t know how concistent it can be, but sure looks powerful. On their own the cards arenā€™t spectacular, but still usuable (selling Beach to Aesop, getting some cards with Game).

Yep, studied the card after I made the post. Well, off to make a jank Hayley deckā€¦

Recruiting Trip at 2.5 when there are no good cards to search for? Seems generous, if youā€™re rating it as a potential sleeper then I think itā€™s fairer to rate Beach Party and Game Day higher because they do at least synergise with cards in the current pool. Weā€™ve also seen a spoiler hint somewhere along the line that thereā€™s a card coming up which utilises hand size in a positive way.

2 Likes

2 of the three Runners love recursion, and Iā€™ve even hit the third with it (buh-bye, SOT).

All of these reviews are opinionated, for sure. Iā€™d give it a four. 1 INF is huge. If it were 2, 3 seems right.

2 Likes

Dorm Computer has potential because itā€™s free, ELP is a pain, and Gutenberg has just been printed.

Haley and Comet are getting a free pass just because they are a runner and a console respectively, so of course people are going to try them out. But thereā€™s no guarantee theyā€™ll find a foothold any more than any other type of card. I think youā€™ll write them down to 2 in a few weeks.

I love that this mostly reasonable and competitive-aware review ends with ā€˜ehmagerd 3 credit Janus!!ā€™

Jokes aside, Breaker Bay Grid is really nice.

2 Likes