Canada nationals

Who won?

The Canadian Nationals are not getting the coverage they need, but the coverage they deserve, sadly.

We had a carload ready for Toronto. Vancouver, not so much.

Care to split this shite off, @SneakySly / @mediohxcore?

1 Like

This was the big issue. Keep in mind that Vancouver Regional alone was larger, with at least 8 or so from Washington/Oregon coming up. For the Nationals a lot were excited to go (myself included) but the lack of info, high cost for the convention, and what seemed like very poor organization were turn-offs.

The fact of the matter is that it’s nice to diversify every other year. It just needs better organization for next time in 2017.

5 Likes

Touche, no objection on that point. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Heinzel, who also won the Osnabrück Regional earlier this year.

2 Likes

All of those negative, PLUS the subpar-FFG prizes for Nationals, IMHO. Honestly, just handing a NATIONAL tourney to a distributor who gives fuck-all seems like a bad idea.

2 Likes

I was just taking a lowbrow dig at Canada where I could get it.

6 Likes

I’d also like to take a moment to share a couple of my experiences with the TO for the event. During round one, I was playing runner and it was the corp’s turn when time was called. The TO ruled that the corp would be able to finish his turn, I would take my turn, and then the corp would get an ADDITIONAL full turn. I contested until he actually took the time to look it up. In another round I was playing RP against a Val player with Film Critic installed. The runner tried to tell me that he could play the psi game first and then host TFP on Film Critic. The TO initially sided with the runner but once again I contested and got the right ruling eventually. There were two other instances on the day in which I wanted to call a judge but didn’t because I felt like it would consume too much time and even if I did I may not end up with the right ruling. This is extremely trying when you’re in double elims and playing for a national championship. I feel like these experiences at a “premier” organized play event are absurd and FFG should really take their organized play more seriously because, honestly, it often feels like a joke,

EDIT: Also, FFG’s tournament software crashed after round one and we lost an hour of time while they tried to fix it.

6 Likes

Yeah. Need dem floor rules and judge program.

I like the idea for either 2 more turns each, or at least for the Runner to get some ‘last at-bat’, for equal turns. I believe the ANRPC is looking to adopt at least 2 turns, if the floor rules don’t push it.

Two turns each side, right? The current rules fuck any non-FA corp.

3 Likes

@ossa After your description of how the tournament was TOed, I am a proud that my dirt poor, scrub player status spared me from such an experience. Congrats the the entire PDX crew making the Top 8. See you guys at one of the local tourneys.

2 Likes

Dark Sphere, London 63 person SC represent.

3 Likes

lol reading about these numbers, I’m glad the Australian nationals managed at least 75 players…

How is this even possible? FFG’s software is browser based and automatically backs up all the data before and after each round. If something crashes, you can restart Chrome (or whatever browser) and pick up exactly where you left off. A trained monkey could “fix” this in five minutes. I can only assume the TO/store owner had technical issues with his personal computer/laptop and was not recording results on match slips for back-up. I mean, this is stuff we do at a Store Championship and Regional level regularly, how does a National TO jack this up so bad that you have an hour delay? Regional/National-level TOs have had access to FFG’s program for four months now, how are they still having issues? -_- Rabble rabble rabble, forgive me.

I would have come if it was not inside a convention with fee.

1 Like

We had two TO’s in total. One is probably a Lion Rampant rep, and the other a player recruited two or three weeks prior to the event. The player TO actually dropped out due to “emergency shifts” of his work a day or so prior to the tournament. Luckily another guy stepped up to fill his place last minute.

Nels, of Terminal 7 podcast, had his iPad as backup plan with him when the system went haywire. He stepped up to manually enter all the info/ID so that round 2 could go on whilst the TO’s were troubleshooting.

I suppose it’s great that we had the Nationals on the west coast this time around, though information was very scarce. I even wonder how some of the out of province/country players got to know about the tournament… If only FFG/Lion Rampant had co-operated with a store locally. I’m sure they would have been alright with it.

1 Like

I don’t think the TO set the tournament format to swiss or something. When they tried to pair round 2 nothing came up at all so they had to recreate the tournament and re enter matchups and results etc. I don’t think it was TOME. To be fair TOME has messed up previously at regionals so i wouldn’t have been shocked if it was. They might have been able to fix it in another way idk.

Yeah, given how it went (and how poorly I played on the day of) I regret not stepping up to TO. Especially when the initial volunteer bailed the day before. I definitely think we could do something much better, if not for the same thing that caused the lackluster event: FFG and LRI’s apathy. Partially because we had no control over the venue, there was so little information we couldn’t plan anything around it. Frankly, I’ve all but given up on FFG’s OP to do anything other than give us pretty alt arts, and an excess of mats that I never use.

Also a little miffed that the organizers let the top seed (that dropped) walk away with a mat, instead of giving it the 8 in elims. What if #9 had won? But that’s not really important.

EDIT: As an aside, I feel bad for the GoT and SW LCG Nationals the day before. I was there in the early after noon, and there couldn’t have been more than 8 people for each. I know they’re dying games, but still…

3 Likes

Yeah… it was an interesting day for sure. The price of the Con and lack of any sort of advertising is definitely what kept the attendance so low…and i totally agree with you on the mat thing…that was kind of not cool.

It’ll be interesting to see if FF and Lion Rampant try to sort this shit out for next year…at least everyone was awesome and i had some great games, so it wasn’t a complete wash :smile:

We had 4 for thrones. No Canadians attended. :frowning: I guess I can say I’m a National Champion of something to people that don’t know that :D?

I disagree about the mat thing, but I guess its just a matter of opinion. Its my buddy that missed out on the mat, but 1st seed played really well to get there. Idk.

3 Likes