Codex by David Sirlin

I think they’re good. I think (and I think it is intended) that you can get unlimited plays from just those two colors. You can throw in the neutrals if you want to mix things up a little.

Tokens for sale for Print’n’Play at http://www.sirlingames.com/collections/codex

Also includes map cards!

I’ve played it a few more times, and I’m digging it. There’s a lot to consider.

But at the same time, that’s a bit of a problem. You can have lost the game by midgame, but if you’re a new player you only know that you’re flailing and don’t know what to do. You need to be experienced to know if you have a chance for a comeback or should just concede - as a new players there’s still a ton of things you can do (cards to tech), and even though you feel that there’s nothing you can do you’ll be stuck in a game that’s giving you a bad feeling, not a game that you’ll concede and set up the next game.

3 Likes

I’d like to try it sometime.

1 Like

I agree that most games should probably end to concession like in Chess once both players are experienced. So far from playing with @bluebird503 and @Zeromus I have been loving it so far.

3 Likes

Played a basic 1 hero game last night with the core PnP.
Loved it… Can’t wait to play a full 3 on 3

3 Likes

Played a few games with @danwarr and I think the game is awesome. I don’t know about the concession thing, the hidden information element matters too much.

I am starting to think that there are strategies which seem strong or overpowered (like Vandy for example). But it seems like you can play along so many different vectors that you can shift your strategy up if your opponent commits hard to a straight forward plan.

For example, when I watch codex games, I generally see people teching assassin’s to deal with heroes, and spells to deal with assassins to protect their heroes – when you can throw multiple cards at a problem and make up your lost tempo in other ways.

3 Likes

anyone know how we can play this online?

Forums do some kind of play by post thing, but that seems hard.

I’ve seen @Zeromus play it using Tabletop Simulator.

1 Like

Play by post shouldn’t be too bad (compared to some other games) if you have room to lay out the game, considering that you can lay out all your opponent’s potential cards in the binder (with starter cards on the table) and you make all your decisions on your turn. Of course, then you have to trust your opponent when they say that the totally just drew all 4 cards they teched over the past 2 turns.

TTS is a decent way to play online. It is also being implemented in to the other board game simulator, which I don’t know the name of…

1 Like

tabletopia but it sounds a long way off,