CT String Theory/Doubles/Oracle May (It works)

It was in the original deck listed above, but I think it was on everyone’s “first to go” list…

I’ve been trying out an influence spread of 3 hostage, 1 oracle, 3 lucky find and 1 legwork, and it’s been working out alright. Pipeline has been suprisingly decent as my sentry breaker, as you rarely have to pump it more than once against almost every commonly run sentry in RP or NEH, which is most all I see.

sadly there i one ICE that NEH plays that will make pipeline sad and that ICE is Grim

Neh plays Grim and tombstone. David/Femme.

So I just discovered this thread yesterday. I built the deck, gradually improved it as I read through the thread and played some octgn games, and now I’ve finally gotten around to making a Stimhack account just so I can talk about it. It really is that good. A saturday well spent!

My list is pretty close to the original. As far as the points of contention in the thread go, I have:

• 2 Tinkering as odds-and-ends type events instead of Escher, Net Celeb or similar;
  • 2 Scavenge and 2 Eureka as the breaker-cheapening module;
  • 2 Indexing 2 Maker’s Eye and 1 Legwork for multi-access, with one Same Old to replay them;
  • Ram, Torch and Femme for breakers;
  • 1 Oracle, 2 Hostages, 1 Rachel Beckman and of course Lucky Finds to fill out the influence.

Rachel is pure gold in testing so far. She is another potential Oracle-whiff but Hostage mitigates that somewhat and anyway there’re still only 5 non-Oracle non-event cards in the deck. If I start to feel I’m whiffing with May too often I’ll cut Same Old before Rachel. Since we have tons of cash, I figured why not run her - get her on the board in the first pass through the deck when you have spare moolah, and then you’re effectively Oracle-ing clickless for the rest of the game, with added flexibility on turns when you don’t want to use May.

Massive props to DJhedgehog and everyone else who had a hand in designing this deck. Like everyone has said, it’s amazing fun to play, and it feels really strong. It’ll take me a while to learn to play it properly though. My other current Runner deck is a similarly-atypical Noise build, seems like between the two of them I’m going to have a lot of learning to do!

Oh and about naming it, I quite like ‘Half the Age, Double the Chaos!’

2 Likes

Tombstone? Have I missed this card somehow?

I can"t imagine going with pipeline, while you can alos testrun / scavenge a femme.The bypass is just too good.

I feel Rachel Beckman is very much a win more card. If you’re doing well and can afford her easily, you were already on the way to win anyway. If you’re doing bad, spending all that money on her will give a window to the corp. Installing her and then losing her to a random tag (snare, breaking news, …) can just put you in your grave. Really not a card I like.

1 Like

I’m agreed on Rachel Beckman…when/if there becomes a way to cheat connections/resources into play, she might see play. But until then she’s a nasty combination of fragile and expensive. I would have rather seen her say “if you end your turn tagged” to trigger her self-destruct, maybe she’d be alright then.

1 Like

I’ve actually replaced a single Legwork in my deck with a Planned Assault. Adds another Double event to power the naps, and it’s rare that I want to do two Legworks before I cycle the deck anyway, while there are definitely times where I want the flexibility to maybe do an Indexing or Maker’s Eye instead. Seems to be working nicely so far. Debating cutting a Tinkering to add a Deus X after playing several PE decks in a tournament - I hate to dilute the Events, and Test Run is the only way to really recur them, but it still might be a useful meta call.

I put in Rachel for 2 games, it was god awful. I took her out right away and put WitRD back in. I think tinkering has saved my bacon more times than any other card, I have to say keeping it is clutch. Also 2 scavenge has been great for keeping me at speed. I agree that I never need kraken or net celeb, even with RP with ELP all the time in my meta. I still stand by WitRD though.

There’s a time and a place for Rachel, but this deck is most definitely not it.

3 Likes

Thanks @CobraBubbles, I appreciate that you enjoyed the deck.

I will agree here that Rachel Beckman may not be the best choice for this deck. The cost is going to really slow you down against NEH, may open a windown for RP/HB glacier and is fragile especially because of the popularity of NEH and breaking news.

@tzeentchling I would consider just switching to Infiltration instead of Deus X because it synergizes with May and knowing what something is might be better than preventing damage (and it can’t prevent brain damage).

1 Like

What about Special Order? I played against this kind of deck the other day and it was hosed by Will O Wisp and program trashing.

I actually do have two Infiltration in my version of the deck. They do help, but you can’t tutor for them, and there’s only two guesses you get, and it doesn’t help against Psychic Fields.

Against PE: Don’t run remotes unless the corp has no money. PE kill decks aren’t supposed to win by scoring agendas, they’re supposed to win by letting you make a mistake. Instead, use indexing (best friend against PE) and always run stuff when/if the corp has less money (4=snare, 3=cerebral, 2=psychic field psy game). You’re much safer running on R+D or HQ where snares/shocks/shikyus are the only thing that affect you. Just make sure you run with 3++ cards, especially if you Maker’s Eye =)

IMO this deck is better than many runners against PE purely because of the Indexing.

1 Like

You have test run, you can draw enough to get to the bottom of your deck, or if you’re really pressured you can hit an early Levy AR. You have options, but I agree that it hurts. Not so much as to need a special order.

1 Like

I disagree. :stuck_out_tongue: With the Andromeda I played for the past few tournaments NEH and RP are both quite good matchups.

I’m pretty confident vs any of this two with noise as well.

1 Like

What version of Andromeda are you running? Just curious, because I think it’s much stronger VS NEH than RP, if it’s the version that’s been popular recently.

Noise is good VS anything really, but he is weakest against NEH and strongest against glacier decks. Even the best Noise decks I’ve played and against have had some problems with variance that could allow NEH to pull ahead too quickly to deal with.

Of course, I’d be interested to see your list as well to get a feel for what you’re doing.

I would disagree. Most PE is running 3x HoC, Gila, Chronos. The only unadvanced traps you need to worry about are psychic field and snare and many times PE players won’t throw snare in remotes as often because it’s a dead card if the runner doesn’t run it (whereas it’s never dead in HQ or RD). Running unadvanced remotes with three cards in hand on click one seems to be the most efficient way to play against the current PE archetype. If you just let them score an early Gila or multiple HoCs then the game becomes much harder.

4 Likes