European Nationals 2016 thread

Not to derail too much, but after all the Slums discussions, you’d hope that people now understand the concept of a ‘first’ thing in Netrunner.

Kim runs archives, accesses the cards. So that’s including operations. It’s the first access, so Kim triggers. He can’t resolve though, because the op is already trashed. However! No further triggers of Kim can occur again.

5 Likes

Kim can’t resolve cause the operation he accessed is in archives. He “booked” the trigger then applied the text of his ability to no effect.

Tori (vs Feedback Filter) can’t resolve cause the net damage she wanted to replace is already gone. She “booked” the trigger, then applied the text of her ability to no effect.

Let’s accept for the discussion purpose that CTM trigger is met during the Slums run (which in my opinion is not). As to why CTM cannot resolve in that case I have no idea. It just says trace to tag right? So CTM “books” the trigger, then applies the text of its ability - trace to tag fires.

1 Like

Cards that meet their trigger condition do not always trigger and resolve. If, before trigger and resolution, the trigger condition is replaced by another effect, for instance, the trigger condition has been met but the gamestate has advanced past the trigger condition, and the ability is not resolved.

From the OFAQ:

“Conditional abilities resolve after meeting their trigger condition. However, if the game state advances past the trigger condition due to simultaneous effects or a chain reaction, then the triggered ability cannot be resolved.”

Edit: To further clarify, for your examples: Tori met her trigger condition, but did not trigger and resolve; Kim met his trigger condition, and his text was resolved to no effect.

3 Likes

For your reference, specifically the section on conditional abilities steps 1,2,3:

2 Likes

They’re not going against the rules. They ordered a Tournament Kit and do as the included instructions command: “Follow rulings as provided by official sources. Disregard everything else.”

Official sources in this situation can have multiple interpretations. Rules state not to take ‘unofficial sources’ into account, this includes unofficial sources interpretating official sources.

I recall ID’s being allowd before they were technically legal during SC season. The second MWL iteration was condoned after it was announced, before it was legal.
In fact: Didn’t the ANRPC Great Lakes Circuit expand the MWL for it’s events?

Inconsistency happens. It’s not nesserarily a bad thing.

For the record, it’s been stated that Damon’s CtM ruling (or, rather, the only intuitive CtM ruling imaginable) will be used at French nationals (at least in the CtM thread; I don’t have the source).

5 Likes

Sorry to ask, but how many attendees are expected in Poland & France?

last year in poland 72 people attended.

In France, around 60-70 runners.

ANRPC = Fan run unofficial tournament

Nationals = The second highest level of officially sanctioned competitive play with stakes and title

3 Likes

ID’s were not legal there just wasn’t anyway to police them which is why they eventually became legal.

Hypothetical, if Damon showed up to your National event and told you this ruling in person would you still use the “Its not in the FAQ” argument"?

If a program has a bug, does it stop malfunctioning if the programmer tweet about it?

In your question: if Damon shows up, it’s not as a TO, Marshal or judge. Therefore it’s not his responsability to make judgement calls.

Those who are actually attending these events and competing for the title accept the rulings. You have no beef in this. Neither have I. It’s not my place to make calls either. Just let the people who run events to their thing.

Damon could announce today on twitter that a list of cards (let’s say… a dozen?) have text that does not match the design intent and provide us with the intended text. I would still follow his interpretation for 2 reasons.

1. He’s the designer
  2. I have gain nothing to gain by not playing thr way the designer intends me to.

So… what? My ego gets boosted from semantics? Nope. Dude is outright saying “this is how this is meant to work”. I don’t care what anyone comes up with next regarding why it “doesn’t technically” make sense. I don’t care. He told me it’s how it works. That’s good enough for me.

#Damon2016

5 Likes

There’s a big flaw in your logic.
Don’t assume everyone got access and have knowledge of the same information as you.

As I said on slack the other day, there’s a sizeable amount of players in EU who don’t follow stimhack / ancur / damon Twitter / your mom [remove unnecessary info sources] and/or who don’t even understand English.

For all those players, and some of them could be TOs at national level, the ctm ruling is definitely counter intuitive and could be interpreted differently. And you can’t really blame / shame them for not having access to the information or at least not as fast as you (and the US community in general).

And until we got an official judge / TO program or at least a regularly updated FAQ, this kind of situation are bound to happen.

9 Likes

Totally agree. When we’re talking about TOs simply not knowing the latest information.

This is not that. This is TOs knowingly going against the known interaction. So that point will always be moot in this discussion, no matter how many times people repeat it.

10 Likes

Those people are not served by the TOs and other people who know better to coddle them by using made up rules. That’s not good reasoning. If we are actually concerned about non-English speakers getting the rules wrong then the answer is to help get the project in the languages that matter to these people, not to branch off the rules into a new version that will not apply elsewhere.

I would ask all the guys in this thread discussing about rules, to follow the rules of this topic, which is Nationals in Europe 2016 and not how rules are applied on tournaments, which I assume is more general than Nationals in Europe? Might also apply to GNKs and other Tournaments… Your are spamming this Thread, as some people are following it to get infos about the nationals and I’m close to put it on the ignore list.

It would be highly appreciated if you could apply the respect to rules you are requesting from TOs about ANR to this Thread in the forum and follow the Netiquette.

3 Likes

The Smokes are here ! :smiley:

12 Likes

21 Likes

The AA smokes look nice. Not my personal style, but looks like a fair bit of effort went into making them quality.

Wish it wasn’t across the Atlantic.