Exploring a Stalling Metagame: Nasir Meidan StimShop by El-Ad David Amir

He does have NREs and Yog…

Yog+NRE is there, so Lotus Field is addressed. Sure Gambles can be useful provided you immediately add some credits to PW. However, I can see it being difficult to be at 5 credits consistently. Ghost Runner is for trashing/NAPD, but also Refractor if necessary, I presume?

Ghostrunner in Nasir is primarily a mini Sealed Vault. You don’t need to spend the creds on Stealth. The important part is they are flexible credits that you don’t lose when encountering ICE.

… and yeah, you are not going to be happy with Sure Gambles in Nasir. Easy Marks would be way better, but they cost influence.

2 Likes

d’oh

I thought Tollbooth hit Ghost Runner credits? Granted it’s optional and you wouldn’t do it without first gaining your 8, but can it actually work like that?

I assume a better example is Universal Connectivity Fee.

Yeah, Tollbooth sucks ghost runner creds, because it is just “pay if able”. But Ghost Runner creds are not lost during Nasir’s on encounter ability because it says " lose all credits in your credit pool".

3 Likes

Today I realized that under the right circumstances you can save clicks by pawning a Film Critic and then running archives to steal the agendas that it had been hosting. That will be a fun play to make.

6 Likes

This just made me think - does Faust have a place in Nasir? It solves the problem of cheap ETRs in front of big ICE - you can get in anywhere if you have enough cards, and with Earthrise and LARLA you will.

Just got this pack today, testing to commence immediately. I have high hopes for faust in Nasir; creditless breaking is definitely an attractive option for him. because of his love of one-and-done cards like workshop, order of sol, aesops, etc etc etc, and ofc shaper access to recursion, i’m thinking it shouldn’t too big a burden to toss cards at a run on a rushed agenda.

I’m also thinking about the longstanding dream of using Nasir’s insane ability generate cash on the corps dime to fund a gigantic mega-rig; so far though these decks have proven far to slow to be reasonable; I’m definitely wondering if faust will be able to provide that early pressure and buy time and credits to fund fun toys like morningstars and toolboxes. Probably not a competion build, but I’m looking forward to trying new things out!

together with film critic, I think Nasir is gonna be very fun to play in the near future.

Feel like pairing that up with some QT’s to push through stuff. Though that’s pretty much all that’ll be for. PW feels like it would take most of the feed from draw,

I don’t think there’s ever any reason not to play PW in Nasir. It’s not just about the drip, the instant speed, or the hand clearing. it’s about ensuring that you can actually make full use of all the money that comes his way. In a faust deck, it’d maybe be more just just laying down big cards to dump your money onto (femmes, toolbox, MS, RDIs, that sort of thing), rather than using it to just hold everything you draw.

3 Likes

This is the deck I’ve been running lately, with some pretty good success on OCTGN:

Nasir Meidan: Cyber Explorer

Event (7)
3x Diesel
2x Scavenge
2x Stimhack ••

Hardware (9)
3x Clone Chip
1x Plascrete Carapace
2x R&D Interface
3x The Toolbox

Resource (13)
2x Armitage Codebusting
3x Ghost Runner
3x Order of Sol
3x Personal Workshop
2x Street Peddler ••

Icebreaker (9)
2x Atman
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1
1x Chameleon
1x Deus X
1x Mimic •
1x Sharpshooter
1x Torch

Program (7)
1x D4v1d ••••
1x Datasucker •
1x Imp •••
1x Parasite ••
3x Self-modifying Code

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

It’s nothing revolutionary, but it’s gotten more success than most of my runner decks. Originally the numbers were a bit different - instead of an Imp, I had a third Street Peddler and 2 Scrubbers to help with trashing. I’m still not sure which I like best. Scrubber let me take down assets fairly reliably, which really helped with R&D locks and with controlling wide-playing corps. Imp feels unwieldy, but it’s the only tool I’ve got to take out key operations if I stumble across them.

As for Street Peddler itself - I’m not sure what to think. At times it draws (and conceals) a key Clone Chip or Mimic or Chameleon, letting me sneak into an otherwise-inaccessible server with the element of surprise. At other times, it’ll draw, say, my Plascrete, a Clone Chip, and a Ghost Runner - none of which I want to trash, as that’s one less NAPD buffer or Parasite as the game goes on.

I mentioned Chameleon and I want to say it’s really pulling its weight. It’s 1c cheaper than a Mimic to SMC out, but will break all the same things. At the end of the turn it’ll bounce back to hand, which can (and has!) saved me from a kill. Next turn you put it back on the Workshop, pop it down to 1 counter whenever you feel like you’ll need it again, and then use a Sol credit to install it when new ICE is rezzed, if need be. I’ve had entire early games carried on the back of a Chameleon, giving me time to prep a Lady or Torch or Atman for when the really fat ICE starts coming out.

I want to find a way to fit in Earthrise Hotel and/or Symmetrical Visage, but it’s hard. I prefer Earthrise’s persistent drip to the Diesels I never draw, but post-run ‘elasticity’ is a problem, if that makes sense? I can get a 1c or 2c resource down without much trouble, but without an Armitage or leftover rezz credits, clicking up to install an Earthrise feels cumbersome. Visage helps with the elasticity bit, leaving you with 2c after an empty turn if you draw, but deck slots are a problem.

Can’t wait for Film Critic, either way. It’s going to put Nasir in such a good spot.

2 Likes

Only if you draw your whole deck.

5 Likes

it’s a hard choice for sure, as both these cards are so great in Nasir - I think you made the right choice with Imp, though. its ability to be tutored when truly needed is paramount.

this is exactly right. Imagine if this peddler had come off the bottom of your deck - equally random, but instead of feeling like you “missed” cards, you be getting a shot at cards you never would have seen (in most games).

That said, I’ve been testing peddler myself and it’s… kindof meh. I think I’d rather have regular draw cards. the concealed effect is nice - on occasion it allows you to represent a stronger or weaker position that you actually have - but overall I’m thinking I’ll spend my precious influence elsewhere.

hmm, your testimonial really has my own interest piqued. This is a primary concern for nasir imo, being able to safely break ice early on while still getting to keep some of your free nasir money to build up with. I’m currently trying out the faust route for this very reason, but chameleon definitely seems appealing…

Anyways, thanks for posting! I’m so glad to read about others’ Nasir experiments!

I can’t get behind Earthrise. Early game it’s great, but if you end up ever dead in the water for whatever reason, the worst feeling is clicking up to 4 credits to install one. Other players have better luck with ERH than me, but I prefer diesel, even with Peddler.

Also, just cut the Deus X for 1 Visage. I’ve found it to be a massive boon.

definitely never ever do this.
No reason to get into ERH vs. Diesel in Nasir all over again (which I’m beginning to suspect mostly has to do with whether you’re relying on aesops or not…), but this is definitely always the wrong way to play ERH.

Yeah, It’s just related to aesops. Anyway, on a different topic: been brewing with faust, and I get to play ALL the draw. I will post the decklist after some more testing, but so far it’s super strong.

yup, same experience so far here. I think faust+film critic is gonna put nasir in a whole new ballpark.

Curious: Are you tending to play an all-faust game and spend your money more on support cards, or are you using it as a springboard into a more powerful late-game rig? I’ve been doing more of the latter but I think there’s merit to both approaches

Mostly faust as main breaker with backups. (Dagger and inti + david)

Alright. Nasir has been patiently writing letters to Santa asking for something like Film Critic (so he doesn’t auto-scoop to Midseasons) for a while now and it finally showed up under the tree.

Is it enough to make him good? Is it going to be moot shortly when Data and Destiny means that EVERYONE GETS ALL THE TAGS EVER? Thoughts?