Exploring a Stalling Metagame: Nasir Meidan StimShop by El-Ad David Amir

How’re you liking DaVinci? I’ve yet to try it!

By Jackson that 3xDD deck goes fast. Hard to keep Clot credits around, though. I’d probably replace the Sols with Armitage given the nonbo with DD.

So I feel like passing this along to my stimhack homies. Let me know if this could be better or way better.
Nasir Meidan Cyber Explorer

15 influence spent (max 15) •••••••••••••••
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny
Event Event (13)

3x Diesel
3x Modded
2x Stimhack ••
3x Sure Gamble
2x The Maker’s Eye
Hardware (6)

3x Clone Chip
3x R&D Interface
Resource (11)

2x Film Critic
3x Personal Workshop
2x Same Old Thing
3x Street Peddler •••
1x The Source ••
Icebreaker (8)

2x Atman
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1
1x Deus X
1x Femme Fatale •
2x Study Guide
Program (8)

1x Clot ••
3x Multithreader •••
1x Parasite ••
3x Self-modifying Code

Does this not hurt for MU? Seems hard to fit in all those programs.

1 Like

Hello. This is Peety. Glad to see an indepth thread about Nasir! Feel free to PM me anytime!

1 Like

You can cut this and add 2x astrolabe and +1 armitage.

1 Like

Welcome to the thread! always excited to have more people playing the best runner :stuck_out_tongue: [quote=“cmcadvanced, post:463, topic:2609”]
Let me know if this could be better or way better.
[/quote]

• as others have mentioned , sure gamble is borderline dead in Nasir, and you desperately need memory - astrolabe should cover you, though I think @IirionClaus is even slotting a singleton cybersolutions as well for super late game.
  • Maker’s eye is probably overkill, as is 3x modded, though I could be wrong there, as 3x multithreader does give you quite a few more quality targets.
  • Take out the source. It is a garbage card (maybe not in adam, but definitely for all other runners). If you are that terribly worried about FA another clot would serve you better (though I think there are better ways to spend 2 influence).
  • same old things can probably go - they’re so-so for stimhacking but otherwise are dead weight.
  • swap out at least one of the study guides (both if it were me, but I get that it’s a fun card) for a cycy or zu. you really need an early answer to enigma/quandary before the multithreader/study guide train gets rolling midgame.
  • for cards to add in, I’d be looking at Ghost runner (solid gold in Nasir, almost a must-slot), Order of Sol (does excellent work with PW since Nasir will often be broke; you can trigger it on both your turn and the corps turn so it can be quite powerful for rig building), Armitage Codebusting (a normally so-so econ card that is just what Dr. Nasir ordered when he’s broke and needs just a couple extra credits to be threatening again).
  • for splashes when you cut the source (and anything else) the obvious things like datasucker, mimic, a second parasite, are probably your best bets. if you can free up 4 influence d4v1d is ridiculously powerful out of Nasir. Lastly, Scrubber is a great splash for Nasir, who has a real tough time trashing things.

While you’re here, you should definitely check out the most recent “Solidarity” list upthread; El-ad (@IirionClaus, the author of the original article for this thread, btw) is an excellent authority on this type of “toolbox” nasir deck and his current build is quite powerful, if somewhat difficult to pilot perfectly. @CJFM’s Faust list with parasite spam is also very potent, much more approachable for newer Nasir players, and tournament legal right now (unlike the multithreader lists).

3 Likes

More of an in-depth response follows. I’d only given it a cursory look as I was headed out the door.

What you’re doing here is returning to a classic Stimshop set-up. I played a similar deck a while ago with peddlers, stimhack, study guide, etc. All are great choices, and I somewhat disagree with an earlier point made that same old thing isn’t good here. The deck wants to always have a stimhack on hand to power up study guide/smc on command. That makes it extremely hard to predict, but vulnerable to scorch. I recommend either handsize increasers or plascrete.

I had Toolbox as my console, but with those threaders you might not need THAT much power. Astrolabe x2 and maybe a singleton akamatsu is necessary. Your rig will be 2 threader, femme, atman4, lady.

Modded is actually fine, but you will likely rather have draw from QT. I stopped using modded in lunar, but I know it can surprise people. Worth trying again.

Echoing @voltorocks, Ghost Runner is a MUST for Nasir. It becomes obvious after a few games with him that he needs to be able to go under his credit pool, so to speak, in order to deal with troublesome assets/upgrades/credit loss.

What to do with the source? I recommend HQI because you can peddle it. Maybe a second parasite or 2 scrubber.

I think we will see more people trying study guide with multithreader. Study Guide is surprisingly good and fits with a stimshop style perfectly. I plan to revisit this when D&D arrives :smile:

Hey all, just posting a new list that I have been having success with. Fun, aggressive, and competitive. Best use of DaVinci I’ve yet been able to assemble, as it lets you flash in Plascrete when a kill deck wants to “go for it” or an RDI when the corp thinks they don’t need to rez. DaVinci really messes with the corp’s math. The only real problem is that it doesn’t play D4v1d. The only real solution to big Curtain Walls is Atman or Lady. But since there are fewer Blue Sun decks floating around, you probably won’t have that much trouble.

Enjoy!

[edit: not sure it’s a better deck than the one with Astrolabe + David, probably not, but it’s FUN!]

3 Likes

Running recklessly with Desperado and running recklessly with Nasir ARE two of my favorite things. Faceplanting Cortex Locks, ho!

2 Likes

So what’s the story with Nasir these days? @IirionClaus, did you end up bringing him to Worlds? I put together a list that has been treating me pretty well so far.

Nas

Nasir Meidan: Cyber Explorer (Upstalk)

Event (5)

Hardware (12)

Resource (13)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (8)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Nothing too crazy here. Drug Dealer does great work, and to make my brain hurt less, I’ve decided to forego Order of Sol. I want to get more than 1 DD on the table, so having to float 2 or 3 credits just to get OoS to give me one back at the start of my turn is too much of a headache. For me right now (and who knows, I could change my mind), it’s either DD or OoS, and DD is just too good. Plus, Multi-Threader and Ghost Runner helps get through troublesome cheap-to-rez ice when I really need to get in. So I’m almost always starting with 0 credits on my turn. Armitage helps me burst up just enough to make a run or install a couple things. Whatever’s leftover gets dumped to PW.

No Clot, so fast advance is gonna fast advance. But Imp can help a bit with that.

A bit of anti-synergy between Stimhack and Faust, but Faust is mainly there as a backup breaker, and with Drug Dealer and Chameleon, it’s pretty easy to start your turn with 5+ hand size, even with a couple brain damage.

2x Plascrete is kinda important right now. Thought about NA City Hall, but I can’t possibly afford that outside of my own turn. I’ve been trying 1x Bookmark instead of Plascrete sometimes… It’s good for a hail Mary Faust run, I guess? Hasn’t saved me from a kill yet, so I’ll probably stick with just the 2 Plascretes.

Would love to find room for a Sharpshooter and another Armitage (and honestly, OoS if space wasn’t an issue), but I have a hard enough time as it is finding all the other vital Nasir pieces, even when there’s 3 of them in the deck. Rather not jump up to 46 or 47 cards.

1 Like

Speaking of 47-card Nasir decks… this has been fun:

Blackmail Nasir

Event (9)

Hardware (9)

Resource (19)

Icebreaker (5)

Program (5)

47 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Old Hollywood

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I was just playing against some Weyland deck that was racking up Bad Pub, and I was thinking about how great it is to have Bad Pub credits to spend as Nasir. One thing led to another, and Blackmail Nasir was born. You can put pressure on the corp early, as Nasir is good at, find solutions to the ice that’s rezzed, and then, when they’ve scored an agenda, FRAME JOB BLACKMAIL. This steaming pile of jank takes up no less than 12 deckslots (SOT, FJ, FS, and Blackmail), but man is it satisfying to play. It’s also probably terrible, but so far in my “testing” against totally random opponents, it’s been very successful.

1 Like

This might just be me mis-interpereting you but it seems like you might not be playing frame job right? you can only forfeit an agenda you’ve stolen to fuel frame job. this puts very heavy pressure on you to snag an agenda out of RnD very early to be able to pressure the remote without letting them rez ICE and ruining your blackmail plan.

while I’l certainly agree that having even 1 bad pub is generally nuts for Nasir, I’m not sure he’s the kind of runner that can be giving up agendas left and right for the privilege…

The first list seems little more realistic, basically a mashup of @CJFM’s faust list and @IirionClaus’s Solidarity 1.7 (kind of a toolbox/atman-megarig with multithreader). I’m interested to try something like this, but I have to say after trying drug dealer Nasir a lot I’ve become pretty disillusioned with it.

It might be powerful for an all-in faust rig, but in general I find Nasir is pretty starved for clicks and the 'dealer makes it just that much harder to actually make use of all Nasir’s extra credits - (just for example, sometimes you’re running last click and just don’t have time to spend money before the dealer takes his cut,) FOr me what often defines a great Nasir list is something that can really make do even if your bottom 3 cards are all personal workshop, and drug dealer makes it much harder for decks to pass that test.

Still though, I’ll have to give it a spin to see how it goes :smiley: oh, and I like the one-of bookmark, especially in a faust deck. Nasir tends to have a fair number of dead draws come his way so stashing them on this as a super-plascrete or a re-loadable diesel for faust ammo seems pretty sound (especially given how dead plascrete is in most/many matchups)

F A N S I T E
A
N
S
I
T
E

6 Likes

heh, definitely missed that one! still means you need a 3-card combo before you can threaten remotes with it…

I don’t think I’ve shared my Nasir deck in this thread yet… No big surprises, but great fun and better than it needs to be. The deck I pull out when people start trash talking Nasir as a complete junk ID:

Drugged up Nasir

Event (6)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Stimhack (Core Set) •••

Hardware (11)
2x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (15)
2x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Drug Dealer (Old Hollywood) •••
2x Film Critic (Old Hollywood)
3x Ghost Runner (The Spaces Between)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)

Icebreaker (5)
2x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
1x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)

Program (9)
3x Datasucker (Core Set) •••
3x Parasite (Core Set) ••••• •
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Old Hollywood

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

I’m considering maybe -1 Stimhack and -1 Drug Dealer for +2 Multithreader as they seem to fit in Nasir so well. But then… so do Stimhack and Drug Dealer. Armitage could probably flex into something else as well, but not sure what else… Net Celeb is a recurring credit and a current, so could be worth looking at? Or just more Plascrete, which is the sensible option.

1 Like

Agreed, if PW is on the bottom of your deck, Drug Dealer is not gonna do you too many favors. But assuming you find a PW in a reasonable amount of time, leftover credits can just be thrown into PW before DD takes 'em from you on your next turn (RDI & Cybersoft are good at eating up credits). If i hit something huge, like Ichi 2.0, i’ll use those credits to put out an Atman before I lose any of them to DD.

For me, DD has given me a click advantage, as I often don’t have to spend any clicks drawing at all (especially once I get two out). Diesel is great, but there can be only 3 copies, while QT is expensive, and forces you to spend the rest of your clicks unloading those cards so you don’t have to throw as much in your heap. And, if you draw a bunch of resources, you often don’t have the money to unload more than one or two before your turn ends. I spend most of my turns putting things on PW, and making runs. Recurring credits from Multithreader and (now) Net Celebrity fuel runs, and often a single click from Armitage before a run is all you need to get through the server. A single click from Armitage also gives me the money to install a couple resources on my turn.

@unitled, how are you finding Kati Jones? How often do you unload her? I thought about putting her in, but wasn’t sure if I’d find myself taking in more credits than I could get rid of before the next turn’s Dealer tax. I like the extra suckers and Parasites. If I find myself rarely using Faust, I might drop it for another Parasite.

I realise I’m going to mark myself out as a pariah here, forever to be shunned in competitive ANR circles, but… I’m not a huge fan of Kati. I know it’s a great card, I just find it doesn’t really fit with how I often play?

That said, in Nasir, it’s another source of creds which doesn’t disappear with his ability. I found myself using Kati like a slowly building Stimhack, and it kept me agile while having the creds in the bank; I could have 9+ credits at my fingertips, but didn’t have to be worried about the corp rezzing a pop-up on me and stealing it. Also great if you need to trash a SanSan but don’t want to take a brain damage in the process…

On Faust, I’ve played against Nasir Faust and found it really strong. We went through a phase in our meta where 3 Nasir decks were floating around, mine, @Seamus’s Faust Nasir, and another guy playing Nasir with all the recurring creds (including Pheremones, I loved that). I think the Faust deck was the most flexible, mine was very reliant on finding the PW and then parsites; if it did, it would usually do very well, much less so if not. My deck is built on the idea that Parasite is one of the best cards in the game, and outside of Noise, Nasir is probably best positioned to take advantage of it by the corp continually having to install more unrezzed ice.

You realise you’re basically describing Technical Writer there? Definitely worth trying those over Kati, I’ve been finding them really strong in the less parasite-heavy Natman I’ve been messing around with recently.

1 Like

That’s… a really good point, actually. I’ll give it a spin!