Exploring a Stalling Metagame: Nasir Meidan StimShop by El-Ad David Amir

Thanks for the encouragement! it’s always draining to have a bad day-of when you know your decks and play were on point. I’ll be taking a break in casual play; I feel like I need to explore the new anarch decks more to understand how to combat them as corp (as well as new shaper archetypes splashing new anarch toys) but Nasir will always be my One True Deck ™!

El-Ad David Nasir? :wink:

2 Likes

That description fits me well - I generally disdain bluffing, headgames, etc. in favor of solid grasp of mechanics. I am not a ballsy player. Regarding your second point, I recently heard from two newcomers to the game that they’re really enjoying playing this deck. I admit that I was a bit surprised (since it’s a huge headache to tackle this build), but if they’re having fun, who am I to argue?

Unfortunately Nasir is his first name :frowning:

4 Likes

This is often the first “real” runner deck I show new(ish) players who clearly want to move beyond beginner decks. It super interesting to play and doesn’t funnel you into a single strategy; great for players wanting to explore all the game has to offer. I simply meant I would never hand this deck to a truly fresh player who had never played runner before.

2 Likes

Had a chance to run a bunch against the constellation ice last night and I found D4V1D’s and Cerb to be pretty efficient in most situations. Managed to hold RND for ages with a couple of scavenges and clone chips with those two breakers out. They don’t give you the sort of money you’d see in other games for Nasir, but with D4’s being free themselves to break, and just strength needed on Cerb, I didn’t consider them to be nearly as problematic as they were in my head before I got a chance to play against em.

They did make me really really really really want a third scavenge though.

pretty much every deck does that :smiley: that card is such a workhorse, but I can never seem to figure out what to drop for the third copy…

I agree about Constellation ICE - overall they’re pretty easily handled by d4v1d, and thanks to that same card’s popularity, I don’t think they’re seeing a lot of play.

1 Like

I’m considering the mem-chip, and rolling with just one. Yelp. My experience so far is smaller efficient rigs are locking RND faster and better than catch all big rigs. And in the games you need Mopus you probably ok with just Astrolabe out.

Just repped this deck at a small store champs in my hometown (just 8 players and 4 rounds of Swiss). I took third, losing out by one loss (corp) and dropping to third by SoS.

-game 1 vs. NearPAD Tag n’ Bag: this is IMO one of Solidarity’s best matchups. an early Mopus and imp meant I was stripping the remotes bare (and picking up bluffed agendas). A thin layer of taxing/tagging ICE didn’t manage to do either to me, and once I had RnD interface going (with my Imp on his third life) it was a quick downhill run to 7 points.

-game 2 vs. NEH rush with constellation ICE and ToL: What a weird deck, but it almost worked; this was my closest game by far at 6-7 (and at one point 6-2 corp). Again the mopus and imp package kept his SSCG’s dead in the water and he blew all three jacksons getting them back in the first 10 or so turns. Running was a bit tougher, but surprisingly the constellation ICE wasn’t the problem - between femme and D4vid I had it handled. He scored all three NAPDs behind unrezzed pop-up windows (of course he drew all 3 and I was out of Imp). despite this, he never found any astros, and I pecked him to death in RnD until utopia-sharding a BN from hand for the game

game 3 vs Foundry w/ NEXT: the game was well in hand thanks to parasites on his barriers and the gordian blade versus his then-stacked code gates. I don’t think he had ever played against nasir before, because he tried to rush an agenda early behind an enigma and next silver, clearly thinking my lack of breakers and credits at the start of my turn would be a problem; it wasn’t. The game ended on a sad/funny note when he scored a ABT and pulled hedge, jackson, and PriReq. Sad times for him, but I felt I had the game sewn up even before this.

game 4 vs Jinteki Grail RP: Nasir took this deck apart. I got good card draws and had my whole engine up and running quite quickly. scavenging a femme repeatedly onto different Merlins, making bank from his ICE, parasiting shit to death, and digging RnD all day. Seriously, the only agenda he ever got into hand was a TFP I couldn’t psi from him, but I had already killed his caprice in remote and in the deck so it was totally unscorable. A note about deus ex: while it “doesn’t work” against merlin, you can still use it on one of the subs, which saved my goose early on in this game.

In summary: I was a little surprised at how much play this deck (months old as it is) still has. Nothing about O&C has put a dent in Nasir’s style in my mind. I think he may really thrive with clot, or at least with it in the meta - his greatest enemy is still the rando-astro-chain so even just throwing down an SMC and letting it sit will really buy Nasir the time he needs to set up and kick ass.

His greatest enemy was the prevalence of Popup Window, not the Astro’s themselves. Once Popup sees less play, Nasir will be worlds better.

You can break a Merlin with deus x. It’s an AP ICE.

It doesn’t work on a revealed Merlin as Grail support to a Gal/Lance.

1 Like

I’ve been playing Nasir this week also. Probably the most fun I’ve had as a runner. However in four games, I mulliganed each time for Personal Workshop – never got it. I find that I struggle until I get it.

Naisir’s bane is blue sun with an ice wall he keeps rezzing again, and again and again…

1 Like

clone chip or workshop a parasite onto it at the very end of the corp turn so that it gets a counter and dies when your turn starts. Or find it on a turn that they’re leaving it in hand and imp it. Blue sun is a great matchup for Nasir(or as good a matchup as blue sun can be :D), and ICE wall is at most 3 cards in their deck that they can use to play around the fact that they’re otherwise making nasir super-rich all the time.

ah, cool, I see that now! well, I won that game anyways but it’s nice to have deus ex around for grail ice anyways, if you get caught unable to otherwise break too much damage.

My advice is to do your best to avoid leaning on it. Maybe lean a bit more on drawing cards until you find it, but with clone chip and SMC in the mix they’re are tons of tricks you can pull with Nasir.

You may be interested in this Nasir deck that I built specifically to avoid being overly reliant on Personal Workshop : )

A very different take, and I can see some advantages. I’d hate to lose Femme and D4v1d, but gaining some HQ multiaccess would be nice, and I like the Aesop’s/Cache combo.

Here’s a rules question – Nasir’s on-encounter ability states “lose all credits in your credit pool”. Order of Sol also uses the same use of ‘credit pool’. What is the strict definition of credit pool? My assumption is that the ‘credit pool’ definition is the same for Nasir’s on-rezzed-ice encounter ability and Order of Sol. El-Ad says in his article that Bad Pub and Stimhack credits count. Why do they count, and not Ghost Runner? I see the ruling for recurring credits not counting, but Ghost Runner credits are not recurring, and they are referred to as credits to spend during a run. Cache is clearly different as it is virus counters, not credits.

Have I got it all wrong? I just feel like I’m missing something here.

The credit pool is literally the pile of credits that you use to track your money. Bad Publicity and Stimhack specifically add credits to your credit pool. These credits are returned if not used.

Ghost Runner and Recurring Credits are both credits that are on a card and can be spent from the card. Those credits are never in your credit pool.

3 Likes

you cant.

Corp picks up the ice at the start of his turn drops it again unrezzed.

You can easily kill an Ice wall against Blue Sun. It takes a single Datasucker token (no idea why people stopped playing this card in shaper), or just do it on a turn where they’re going to return something bigger/OAI’d.

the problem is until you find the answer blue sun has control over your credit pool. i’ve run into the same problem against blue sun with nasir where the only “new” ice appearing is something cheap but all the runs cost a moderate amount of credits. the blue sun match up is ultimately why i shelved nasir. yes you have answers but voluntarily playing an ID that offers control of your credit pool to the corp is insane if you like winning :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the half a dozen or so games I’ve ever played with Nasir, Blue sun was the easiest by far, usually because I could break the Ice Wall with the one credit it gave me, and a whole lot of their other ice costs a ton to rez. If you get 14 off them rezzing a Curtain Wall more than once, it’s crazy easy to win I’ve found.

Again, I haven’t played it much, and I agree that he’s not ever going to be a T1 ID, just because matchups swing so wildly with him, but he’ll definitely get way better once normal NEH is out of the picture.