Fire up the Grill! - Weyland meat lovers thread

Actually you want to go “Click, Click, BOOM!”

8 Likes

Netrunner tips: assert your alpha corp status by pulling out your Beats Pill+ and blasting Saliva’s - Click Click Boom with the straight faced conviction of a person who survived Y2K, the 23 Seconds Incident, and will cherish any music. continue by staring into the crushed soul of your runner opponent as they witness the true alpha power move of Midseasons, Click… Click… BOOM!

and remember that, in true Weyland fashion, you must then steeple your hands together, grin widly, then lean back in your chair in the ultimate hands-behind-the-head power pose

1 Like

There’s also Hard Hitting News, which basically says to the runner “spend at least three clicks getting rid of tags or else you’re BOOM!'d”

1 Like

Honestly, I think this card is bad.

If I’ve landed two tags somehow I’d rather be playing Traffic Accident and Scorch.

While this gets round I’ve Had Worse (which is nice) it’s extremely conditional and the trash (at one!) cost tips it into bad for me.

I was discussing this with someone last night. If an operation (particularly a conditional one like this) is going to have a trash icon then it should be stronger than those without a trash icon and I just don’t think this is.

Interested to hear what Ulkrond thinks though.

Or I could just scroll down and find out!

Have to say I disagree guys. The hard part of Weyland kill is landing the tags when you want to.

I don’t think Midseasons is hugely reliable against a lot of runner econs although it may be the case that Blue Sun bounces back a bit with D4v1d taking the hit and that ID is probably best suited to really building up the cash.

Regardless, I’m running Film Critic and pretty much everyone I know is too. Doesn’t mean you can’t beat those decks of course but as a primary strategy, at least four influence and however many deckslots, it’s a lot to commit to something (at least moderately) unlikely to fire.

I also think that current is total garbage. With a lower play cost (and splashing out of faction trace support) it might have been playable but right now it’s either a one credit tax or a zero credit tax if the runner has a link. I suppose it’s better in a low-agenda density deck but even with that tax I think a smart runner that sits and camps the remote is just going to walk all over you (barring trap play, which is high variance).

On top of that, we’re seeing more and more incentive for runners to include counter currents, particularly Employee Strike. Given how much that hurts Blue Sun, and the fact that if this new current is best placed there if anywhere, I would never want to pay three credits for this.

I’d be interested to hear dissenting opinions though.

There are two things I think Weyland meat damage needs and neither of them are meat damage:

1 - A truly aggressive way to land tags for the kill, like NBN has with Breaking News/Astro Token and 24/7.

2 - Support for a scoring strategy forcing the runner to interact with you more aggressively, earlier, making the current kill options more viable.

I suppose you could include a third option which is a card that does so much meat damage it effectively says “win the game” on it with difficult to fulfil conditions but I don’t see that happening and if it were released I’d expect the conditions to be so difficult to fulfil that it wouldn’t be worth it.

3 Likes

That all seems fair. I feel like one strength of this card is the freeing up of deckslots and ease of combo assembly - with Midseasons (or Hard Hitting News, in a good scenario) this gives the possibility of a 2-card kill combo, which we’ve never seen before. It can potentially be online very, very quickly.

Whether that makes up for the trash cost I don’t know, but enough people are going to try it that I guess we’ll find out.

1 Like

That second point is the appeal of Door 2 Door for me. I think it could fit in my dual remote Argus which works off of applying scoring pressure to the runner and setting up lose-lose scenarios. The ideal is having a judge installed and then playing the current and going for an agenda on the same turn; the runner won’t have enough clicks to deal with all of the threats. The big question is whether the economy can support it, which is doubtful.

I think the smaller-combo effect is a valid one and difficult to evaluate without testing.

However, with regards to deckspace, are you suggesting you’d run a deck with this and no scorch? Maybe either in NBN or splashing more non-kill tag punishment into Weyland?

I just don’t see the situation that makes this work coming up in any significant number of games. If you’re protecting two remotes, I don’t see how you stop the runner stealing from centrals to kill the current. Of course, in that scenario they may take a tag, allowing the judge rez but that was true before you paid three credits for a current.

In some kind of dream world where we’re actually significantly richer than the runner and land a tag with it and rez the judge, don’t they click one clear tag, click two kill judge?

One can hypothesise that one or more servers are inaccessible to the runner in the above scenarios but if that’s the case, wouldn’t you rather just score two points (and in doing so potentially give yourself the tutor for SEA/the money to fund it)? Hell, if it was possible to make two near-impenetrable remotes DRT would be a potentially amazing card (and it isn’t).

1 Like

I think it’s worth a try, yeah; this seems good as a compact backup plan for a deck that already wants to give out tags. But as you say, I strongly suspect that means that it’s better out of NBN.

It’s a Trap!

6 Likes

I’d probably test it (likely as a singleton) in something like this:

Zealous Argus MK. 1

Argus Security: Protection Guaranteed

Agenda (11)
2x False Lead
2x Global Food Initiative ••
2x Hostile Takeover
3x Oaktown Renovation
2x Project Atlas

Asset (9)
3x Jackson Howard •••
3x Snare! ••••• •
3x Zealous Judge

Operation (14)
2x Beanstalk Royalties
1x Consulting Visit
3x Hedge Fund
2x Restructure
3x Scorched Earth
3x Traffic Accident

Barrier (5)
1x Paper Wall
2x Spiderweb
2x Vanilla

Code Gate (4)
2x Enigma
2x Quandary

Sentry (6)
2x Data Raven ••••
2x Hunter
2x Shadow

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Fear the Masses

The deck effectively rushes to 4 / 5 points, after which the runner can get pretty much anywhere and you win off of Snares, Ravens and Judges with cards like False Lead. I’ve found it’s actually very effective, however a good player who new the list could probably clean it out.

i think Boom! is good as a one-of backup for Weyland kill to help be a bit more consistent in landing the kill (if you’re packing Traffic Accidents and going for 2+ tags that is)
it is, after all, another damage option for Weyland

it’s likely it’ll see more play out of Weyland due to the lower influence than Scorch and higher-impact damage per card
still doesn’t beat Scorch / Archive / Scorch, but that’s more influence, credits, and cards for the combo

1 Like

Just a quick question: can you subcontract and then hard hitting news> boom/ scorch? Not sure how that interacts with terminal operations.

The Trace-1 on Door to Door is really holding it back. Not to mention it costs 3 to play? What? It’s basically the Weyland version of Manhunt, but aren’t we now in a world of +2 link runners and 3x Hoppers?

4 Likes

its moreso boom

I’m down with Boom.

I think Boom! is more about playing with Visitors and Archived memories. It’s a good 1x card, if you can land the Midseason or Hard Hitting News, so having 1x on your deck is enough to finish some runners, and helps a lot against I’ve Had Worse tricks. The ugly part about this is landing the trace, so I think this way of burn is more oriented to Blue Sun and their bag of tricks for making money rather than Argus-style.

1 Like

No, Hard Hitting News has the clause “After you resolve this operation, end your action phase.”, which interrupts combos like Subcontract and Accelerated Diagnostics. It’s why they phrased it that way instead of something like losing all clicks.

1 Like

Irregardless of whether it’s a good or bad card, Boom! looks like it’s going to be a fun card. My favorite kind.

3 Likes