Flashpoint Cycle!

I find Rumour Mill interesting. I am forced to wonder if it’s almost a make-up on Ash/Caprice/etc…, Trying to move the Corp play back to a bluffing one. If that’s the case, I really hope that later packs in this cycle contain better cards for doing that bluffing, or maybe more glacier regions that actually have an impact. I’d love to see more traps or bluffing cards, like Reversed Accounts, that give a benefit for playing it regardless if it’s run on, or not. I’d really love to see some better defensive regions. The ones that exist now don’t feel very powerful and also feel as though they aren’t costed quite right.

I am also worried that it will restrict design space for good, unique non-region cards. It’s effect seems relatively broad, so I do hope it doesn’t become unwieldy for the designers. 2 inf was certainly the correct call, though the effect is so strong I wouldn’t be surprised to see it on the MWL in 6 months (HOT TAKE!) We’ll have to see it in action before we truly know if it’s at that level, though.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t have a view on the power level, but rumor mill feels like a big design mistake. First of all, its super unwieldy–all unique assets and upgrades that aren’t regions? So cludgy and hard to remember what it applies to. Secondly, its so restricting of future design space. Basically, any unique non-region asset or upgrade that costs more than 2-3 to rez is going to be so much worse because of this. And why? It’s not like this was a natural subset of cards that needed to be hit, or that it even makes sense thematically. If it had been, I don’t know, sysops and characters or something, I’d get the flavor, but as it is I have no idea. Okay, rant over.

9 Likes

The card is crazy good and it genuinely worries me. It’s so broad and easy to play. Like, even if the card was a 1 to play 2inf run event that had the same basic text, it would still be pretty great and see a lot of play to shutdown an annoying remote.

You know, then the corp can try to bluff something out because the runner has a single shot. As it stands, the runner can slap this down and waltz into a server protected ICE that continually proves to never be an issue.

Runners JUST got Pol Op and Councilman that have interesting design spaces and require evaluations from both sides of the table, this card is so heavy handed and widely applicable and it’s not even the card Damon thought was instant MWL material.

Colour me concerned.

4 Likes

Maybe glacier is getting a shot in the arm in the coming months that isn’t in this narrow category that rumor mill protects against? I mean, over night this card took Sandburg down a peg and that card is pretty good.

That assumes that a)they are getting a boost and b) that the boost is actually good.

You could still use Off the Grid and Crisium Grid. If Weyland will get a serious economic boost and punishing ICE, Blue Sun (pick up Off the grid after the score for the $$) could be the next big Glacier archetype.

One can only hope…

1 Like

If Weyland got good cards they’d be good… Yeah, I can see how that’d work. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It might just be a bluesy meta for a while

also, given the number of unique resources runners are getting, i guess i wouldn’t be surprised to see a corp equivalent that blanked unique non-location resources

2 Likes

Considering the finite known of Netrunner at the moment, I think anything is possible.

Rewind the game a year ago, when we knew almost an entire cycle several months before it was released.

I would say there is more cause to be optimistic, rather than pessimistic, but hey, maybe I am just looking at things through rose colored glasses. I always have been a card carrying member of the cult of the new.

2 Likes

That’s a decent prediction that I haven’t heard before, and makes sense in that it would add some level of parity on this blanking nonsense.

On a related note, I was just about to come in here and comment as to how absurdly awesome Temujin Contract is. I’ve been playing some proxy games with it in an Andy deck and it is really, really silly. Several times now I’ve dropped a first turn Desperado and had TC + Career Fair in hand. Unprotected Archives next turn, drop for 1 credit, run three times. Thanks for the 15. Oh, did I drop a Security Testing? Funny thing, while I was dragging your librarian out by the neck I tested your security. I found it inadequate. 17.

Silly money.

8 Likes

There is something really, really cool about going to a job fair and getting hired to go hunt people for a faceless corporation.

3 Likes

The flavor in this game, and the perfect (or humorous) stories that the card combinations tell, really makes it for me.

12 Likes

Im not completely sold on that, to me NFR looks like it could be ok in Null going for fixed breakers anyway. Its looks like an evolution in fixed breakers, the only question, and that it completely dependend on the meta beeing played, is if it’s better than corroder and paperclip. The cost of 3 is quite high though…

1 Like

Yes, it’s ok in Null. Ok is the good word. You need facecheck stuff though (if you install Nfr first then the corp will trash all low barriers, or never rez those).
But you’re still f*cked up by Ice Walls. Trash prog / uninstal would shut you down (like Study guide, unless you may not come back there).

:stuck_out_tongue:

…Did Paperclip just turn Scavenge into proper recursion? Makes for a proper 2-card combo with Test Run as well as long as the corp has a rezzed Barrier to bounce off.

8 Likes

Yeah. I’ve been using Scavenge in my crim decks for a while for some off-brand recursion, getting rid of a useless SDB/Fem, and - don’t laugh - Rex when I can’t stomach Gordian. Paperclip will be awesome with that. Between Paperclip and Temujin Contact, I really think that Crim is getting a big boost with Blood Money. My spread will be looking like 1 Gordian, 1 Paperclip, 2 Scavenge, 2 RDI, 1 Deuces Wild.

Really wish it was out already.

What? Paperclip has built in recursion. What are you saying? Why is Scavenge even necessary? Are you saying you Scavenge your installed Paperclip to save a few bucks on a program from grip/heap? That doesn’t seem optimal.

Paperclip can be trashed with Scavenge to recur another program. Then Paperclip can recur itself, and you have both programs in play.

6 Likes