Flashpoint Cycle!

Net ready eyes and switchblade covers cobra, I wouldn’t say it’s unreasonable with smc and a 40 card deck. Dagger isn’t any more efficient than any other breaker, it’s just not bad. Switchblade, when active really makes an impact. Besides, finding a Cloak isn’t too hard. But I’ve only dabbled in janky stealth builds

I agree and you have the influence to kick around for Switchblade.

I plan on packing Switchblade in my first few outings. If its bad, I can always cut it later.

2 Likes

Well, yeah you’re not wrong,of course you can just play all the IDs as 45/15 blanks if you want - even the 40/15s - but then why would you? With deck-space so tight it’s about getting the most of each card and maximising the synergy of all the cards. You can ignore their abilities but isn’t that a waste? The point is that your deck might be great, but how will it compare with someone who IS maximising the synergies in every card?

With Smoke in particular, it might be that it’s simply not optimal to go full stealth, or even any stealth at all, but if that ends up the case then that’ll likely be because stealth still doesn’t cut it more than anything else, not because people just chose not to use it.

I get it though - how does having an extra optional ability reduce the flexibility of a hero? It doesn’t stop me doing anything right? And that’s a fair point for sure. I suppose the thing is that I know I’ll make sub-optimal decks because I’m not great at netrunner, but I don’t necessarily like doing that deliberately, knowing already that I’m not utilising the full potential of the cards. Deck-building to me is kind of like puzzle-solving where you’re trying to create the most efficient machine out of the parts you have, and putting a part in there that you’re not using just seems off, unless that part turns out to be just not very good which also kinda sad for the game too. Dunno, maybe it’s just me. shrug

Well, if you run, say, Stronger Together with no bioroids, it’d be akin to playing biotech and never flipping the ID. But bad. You get what I’m saying?

“Optimal” is a complicated thing. Noise can run a deck with nothing but viruses, which optimizes his ability in a certain sense, but fails to do so in several others. And even if we settle upon a single best way to trigger his ability the most times, that’s still only the tip of the iceberg, since many Noises don’t try to mill your entire deck. Some use viruses more conventionally, hoping to pick up a free agenda or two on the side. Maybe there are even Pancake Globalsec Noises who only mill a few times a game, but do so at exactly the right time.

In short, there are many optimalities. For Smoke, some of those may involve running full stealth, while others involve partial or none at all. But a recurring icebreaker credit is a mighty useful thing, and using it for something other than stealth is not at all like playing no-virus Noise.

3 Likes

Sidetracked. I love/hate your idea of globalsec Noise. You have a wonderful point too, but that’s just great.

7 Likes

So I just realized there’s something stupid you can do with Paperclip: Aesop’s Pawnshop + Wastelands.

3 Likes

Add Exile and you draw a free card every turn! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Don’t forget Technical Writer and LLDS Processors!

If you have the memory for it, 1-2 Sahasrara does a similar job.

1 Like

… So I’ve figured out how to use Golden, guys…

2 Likes

Black Orchestra is 1 credit cheaper, for 1 extra profit each turn.

I must’ve blacked out or something because there’s suddenly a decklist on my screen: Deckbuilder · NetrunnerDB

… Wow, whoever made this list is insane.

EDIT: Played it once, was hilarious. Paperclip itself is strong with Exile. I like the Pawnshop engine with Sahasrara (and Cher) to get money off it. I think there might be something here, with Black Orchestra maybe. But it’s definitely an issue in a meta dominated by HHN… Very easy to fire that operation against this deck.

3 Likes

I dont know its missing the LLDS processor and chameleon though

I refuse to be out-crazyed. Here’s a deck that can threaten all three centrals (thanks to Omar) with a non traditional “breaker” suite of Nexus, DDoS and Knight (but also has some traditional breakers).

Supplyomar

Omar Keung: Conspiracy Theorist

Event (4)
1x Déjà Vu
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (7)
2x Dyson Mem Chip
2x Security Nexus ●●●●● ●
3x Sports Hopper

Resource (17)
2x Bhagat
3x Daily Casts
3x DDoS
3x Liberated Account
3x The Supplier ●●●●● ●
3x Underworld Contact

Icebreaker (8)
2x Corroder
1x Crypsis
3x Knight
2x Mimic

Program (9)
1x Clot
2x Datasucker
3x Djinn
1x Imp
2x Medium

1 Like

My deck used Exile. I’m not sure that can be topped. :wink: I also used Golden. (Turns out Sahasrara is pretty good with Golden, too. Also on the topic of Golden, what’s with them and printing Sentries that seem to purposefully buff to 5 strength? We really like Archer I guess? Which btw, 8 creds 10 credits to break+derez an Archer is a thing of beauty. EDIT: Forgot you have to pay to break twice.)
On that topic; I found a weakness: I need to have a barrier on the outside of a server to really get the engine going properly. Which is why I think the deck will get better when the full cycle is out.

Not using Paperclip in Omar? I think that requires some tears to be shed…

Those don’t help Exile or Paperclip so weren’t included…

1 Like

I played against this Exile stuff a couple of times last night (thanks for that…), and it took a minute for me to even figure out what was happening. Then code gates in front.

Also, isn’t it 10 for Archer? That, plus the reinstall, isn’t minor. But probably worthwhile if the engine is up and running.

1 Like

Sorry…I just had to get this out of my system. Carry on.

55 Likes

I was actually thinking this exact thing when I was playing the Exile deck. He’s desperately trying to get the damn thing to go away, and he’s been forced to run some other programs just to mitigate the impact of this stupid Paperclip… But on the plus side, Aesop will pay him for it, for some reason.

I like to Scavenge clippy for a Parasite, and then reinstall again later.

It’s an expensive and slow way to play a Parasite, but as a shaper you only have the 1, so it feels good to make the most of it.

5 Likes