Flashpoint Cycle!

yeah, i would agree with that too. the MWL and Astro limit are also things that are decidedly Damon

1 Like

By that I was meaning that I would not edit this again… -.-

Where would you splash it, so ?

i only asked the question because you also asked something completely irrelevant to the topic.

and no, i’m not going to answer your question because what 3-influence-cost ICE do you splash? ever?

how often is Architect seen out of purple now that it’s on the MWL? what about Turing? are they bad ICE just because they’re largely used in-faction?

is Brainchip bad because no one would ever think of using it outside of Adam? Spike/Crowbar/Shiv outside of Geist?

whether or not i’d splash a card or use it outside of specific decks/archetypes/identities has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it’s a bad card

4 Likes

Yeah Account syphon and all :slight_smile:

…is your argument that if you wouldn’t splash a card at 4 influence it’s a bad card? No one uses komineu outside of jinteki, is it bad? No one imports pup or pop-up and those are one influence. Are those bad?

5 Likes

I import Pop Up all the time lol. I agree with the sentiment here though. Some decks need that extra econ, just sayin.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison, since the discussion is about splashing ICE at 3+ influence, and you are bring up account siphon, which is not ICE, or even a corp card, but a runner event.

ICE is important, but ultimately plays a passive role in the game. Most often, ICE is only a tax to slow the runner down and force them to pace their runs for impact. Like any card, there is no guarantee that you will draw 1-2 pieces of splash ICE during a game, but even if you do, the runner may never encounter it. If the Corp does raw, install, and rez the ICE, the runner can bypass, ignore, or break its subroutines; i.e. the runner’s actions determine what effect the ICE will have.

Account Siphon, on the other hand, is nothing at all like ICE. First of all, it is not a corp card, so there is really no point in comparing it to any part of the corp game or influence competition, but here we are. Secondly, it is an event, which the runner plays and completely controls when the card will be played, whether or not the effect will resolve, and what runs will happen immediately before and after the Siphon run, whether to do it when the corp makes an IAA play, or immediately after the corp scores an agenda, or whenever the game state would most aid the runner.

Account Siphon is a powerful card controlled completely by the player who includes it in their deck. ICE, due to its passive nature, has its effect limited by the actions of the opponent of the player who includes it in their deck. That is why it is rare for a corp to spend 3+ influence for ICE in their deck, but very common for 3+ influence to be spent on operations, and even occasionally assets and upgrades.

6 Likes

As a Weyland and Crim hipster, “not going to be splashed” is a bonus. I’m tired of all of our good cards being good because other factions can use them more effectively. /salt

And I’ll jump on the Mausolus bandwagon. This is an automatic 3x in any Weyland. The subs are perfect for Weyland - that one missing card may be the one that kills you, you can’t have tags, and Weyland needs to win money games.

5 Likes

Yeah but 3 for corpos means 4 for runners :slight_smile: (but NBN)
That’s because of Jackson ?

Ok, no one will be splashing this card, hence why I told it’s a nice card but will be staying in Weyland, which is not the trendy sexy faction in these times.

“Best” Weyland ID is, well, BlueSun : adv ice in Bluesun is not very good… So where Mausolus will this be played ?

I’m going to be putting in at least 2x in my Titan rush/FA deck. It’s not the best deck in the world, but it punishes runners with long setups and there’s not too much anti-FA tech flying around at the moment, so it’s doing well right now. One of its major lacks right now is “ICE that you do not want to face-check,” so this will fit right in.

Personally I think Gagarin has been the best Weyland ID for a few months now - when was the last time you saw a Blue Sun in the top 8, compared to some of the success big G’s been having?

Mausolus, plus the decline of Faust in the meta is going to bring back Weyland rush in a big way. Every influence Weyland isn’t spending on ICE can go towards defensive upgrades and Snare!

3 Likes

Uh… BoN is the obvious answer. This will be an excellent card there (w/ Dedicated Ceremony). I’m holding off on BoN decks until this card goes live because I think that this card is like BoN’s console (to use Runner lingo).

As for Blue Sun, it is still a good card, even to mid game, without advancement counters. What breaker burns through it easily? CyCy (then you just move the ice), uh… Atman? Str. 5 / 3 code gate with not cool subs is gross anywhere. And for zero influence, where most BS decks had to import Tollbooth for their higher strength code gate.

It will probably see a lot of play in Builder of Nations Rush/Kill. The idea being the same as the old Supermodernism/House of Cards decks: Rush down agendas, and kill the Runner if they’re too aggressive in trying to stop you.

Before you laugh, this archetype already got some good support in Prisec, Consulting Visit, and Hard-Hitting News. Mausolus and Boom! probably put the deck in a pretty good spot moving forward, and any extra ICE that are like Mausolus are just gravy.

I tried BoN rush/kill, with HokusaĂŻs instead of Prisecs.
It’s not very good today.

Because, well “Weyland rush” aka fast deck to get to 6 point then watch the game. Instead there, with advancing ice, you’re a slow rushing deck that get fast to 4 pts then watch the game :confused:

Mausolus is fine, it would sure help the ID. But I’m not sure this is “DA REVOLUTION” longely waited by the faction to say “now Weyland is good” ?

Mkay… Let’s hope I’m wrong ?

Weyland has notoriously poor options for Code Gates, the best of which requires advancing any way to be viable outside of BS and requires other rezzed ICE (Wormhole) and the worst of which gives you bad pub and has a paltry trace sub which even if it fires just results in an ETR (Checkpoint). Wendigo is sometimes okay and most times sits in your hand or the bin wishing it were a better, non positional Code Gate.

Weyland also has a problem with not having ICE with teeth to prevent facechecking, which means that 99% of the time, any given runner will fearlessly waltz right up to your servers without breakers and, generally, not have to worry about any consequences.

Weyland doesn’t have very taxing ICE to play glacier. They certainly have some big beefy ICE, but most of them are reduntant barriers with high strength or high subs, but usually not both and when they are both, the rez cost are prohibitively high, enough that they are only viable in BS with Oversight AI. Even then, barriers are the cheapest ICE in the game to break relative to the breakers used and even better breakers than Corroder are being printed so taxing using Weylands signature ICE type is really difficult. It’s often more taxing for Weyland than for the runner to break.

Probably 80% of Weyland decks have the primary or secondary win condition of flatline by meat damage, but they have to import many tools to actually turn that damage on (outside of BoN anyway). In faction tagging options are very limited, and the ones that are easily splashable either have easy counter play (be richer than Weyland) or widely used silver bullets (Film Critic).

Now, that’s a lot of rambling about Weylands weaknesses and I’m not trying to just whine here, but I think it’s necessary to look at these in depth to see just how amazing Mausolus is and why it will almost certainly be in every Weyland deck, may be even 3 copies.

Mausolus shores up every single faction weakness Weyland has in a single piece of ICE. It is a cheap to rex, high str Code Gate. It has powerful facecheck punishment. It is taxing and resilient no matter what method you use to break it (icebreakers, david, parasite). It gives money back on rez and creates a credit differential whether the Runner breaks it or not, which is always great for SEA and Midseasons. It does damage on facecheck, which very little Weyland ice does and that disincentives running, accelerating the rush gameplan. It gives a hard tag(!) On facecheck, which while it is easily remedied for the Runner, is still quite taxing, paying a click and 2 creds to remove, again credit differential and accelerating rush gameplan. It is extremely powerful when advanced, which gives sideways benefit to other advancable ICE by making the Runner second guess whether it’s an innocuous Wormhole or a triple advanced Maus. And it doesn’t need to be advanced at all to be immediately taxing and powerful on rez.

It benefits multiple Weyland archetypes, shores up nearly every weakness they have as a faction, costs little to rez, extremely taxing to deal with, can be made stronger but doesn’t have to be built up to be impactful.

So yeah, Mausolus is absolutely one of the best ICE in the game, especially for Weyland and I guarantee it will be everywhere.

23 Likes

So how do you think black orchestra works? It isn’t worded like paperclip, how many sub routines will it break? And is it code gates or sentry?

Mausolus seems good for Titan modernism

1 Like

Enigma costs 3 to Rez.

For one more credit we will soon be able to Rez Mausolus.

If the first sub fires once, we just paid 3 for a 5str code gate with 2 tempo negative subs for the Runner. These subs will (rarely) be invalidated by Yog and the ICE is resilient to Parasite.

See what I’m saying? #TeamMausolus

13 Likes

General thought I had - each of the Flashpoint IDs intensifies one of their factions core themes.

• Controlling the Message - intensifies the tag drip
  • Potential Unleashed - intensifies the negative effect of net damage
  • Architects of Tomorrow - intensifies the issues of encountering bioroids for the runner.
  • Builder of Nations - intensifies the ‘Weyland has shit cards theme’ adv. ice will take you time and resources to deal with.

But intensifying a theme is a multiplicative effect - themes that are already strong will receive a greater bonus from a support ID than themes that are merely okay or bad if the ID abilities are of comparable strength. The rich get richer as the saying goes.

So from a design and metagame curation perspective is this something that is wise to do? Pushing every faction’s synergy equally won’t change the meta.

Wouldn’t it better in each cycle to give some factions the broad synergy IDs, some generically useful IDs, and some the super niche ID (i.e. One faction gets a CtM, one gets a Palana Foods, and one gets a new Angeles Sol)?

4 Likes

i’ve been doing a lot of thinking about it, and it seems to be 3c for +2 strength, so it has to have some weird interactions with how it breaks subs for it to be worth it

if it breaks just 1 subroutine, it’s cost effective, but only for 4-str ICE with exactly 1 subroutine

even if it breaks all subroutines, 3c to break something with 1 subroutine and 2 or below strength seems pretty costly

and what if you have to break something that’s 5 strength. you’re paying at least 6c

i feel like it has to be a killer. no one is going to want to pay 3c to break Quandary, 9c for Tollbooth
and what discount would it give you? even if it breaks all, you’re still paying 6 for Mausolus (no discount vs a 2-str decoder), 5c for Archangel (1c discount over a normal 2-str decoder), 3c for Enigma (1c more expensive for a 2-str decoder)

but even if it’s a killer, and it has to break a lot of subroutines for it to be worth it. imagine if it only broke 2.

you’re paying 3c for Rototurret and Cobra, when most other killers only cost 2, but at least it doesn’t have 3 subs to make your life miserable

but what about Tour Guide? you’re paying 3c if it has 1-2 subs, 6c if it has 3-4, etc., which is just awful

imagine paying 3c for Ichi 1.0 and not being able to break all of it. sure, paying 3c to walk through Ichi is amazingly powerful, but if the alternative is 6c, why bother?

another possible effect is that it gives strength until the end of the run… but even then, you’re still paying 3c to break 1-sub ICE later on in the server.

this is a really weird one, and we’re obviously totally missing something since we can’t see the whole card, but it’s hard to imagine how this is going to work in a way i’d actually use it lol. really interested to see where they actually went with the card because i have a feeling it won’t be useless