Gagarin Appreciation Thread

The thing about crisium/otg is that it is in faction. We’d all love to spend 12 influence on ash/caprice. At least until PoOp comes out

I hereby propose that we abbreviate Political Operative as PolOp.

This is purely random timing, and in no way highlighted by @shinygerbil 's post I’ve quoted here.

2 Likes

I have thought about this and Hacktivist is a problem. Noise is an even MU and you need to protect your museums so they don’t get imped. I’m going to slot one lizzie mills and go back to bootcamp to deal with Val, and I already have corp town for most anarchs. They will usually let one Support slip through.

As for the scoring. Your ice is exceptionally taxing. Triple parasite Whiz still has trouble killing all ice and gets burned out by multi sub. You stack ice on R&D and build one big remote. Lightly ice hq and maybe one econ/value asset. Play real netrunner. Use NAPDs strategically. Who cares about ash or caprice? Runners are about 10-12 credits less rich than they were pre-mwl (no prepaid). Wyldeside is slow going at first, and Liberated economies mean the runner has to not run remotes to set up, and those become scoring windows. Read the board state and act by understanding your opponent’s needs.

This deck will actually probably be relatively better once Democracy and Dogma comes out. Political Operative and Councilman will be only marginally better than dead cards, and probably everyone will have them in their decks.

This guy here lol

I finally found some time this past weekend to test out your Gagarin build (after having tried and loved your Apox Kate). There are some serious legs there, even in a Wizz World. The asset spam can start to overwhelm runners very quickly which seems to lead them to want to ignore them and go for an R&D lock. Of course that gives you the window to sneak out the CP and laugh :wink:

Anyways, props on the build(s).

Might I direct you here.

3 Likes

How did I miss this? :confused:

I’m glad you liked it! The current version has been working remarkably well for me. I get consistent wins versus a wide range of runners. Whizz and Noise are still tough, of course, but it seems to me that they’re tough for everyone, so I’m fine with that.

I have two Store Champs left. Two more chances to answer the challenge of winning one :wink: either way I think it’s highly reasonable that I stick to the decision of taking Gagarin to Worlds.

3 Likes

Got 5th overall at Meeples SC tonight playing my Gagarin Temples and Kate. Both decks were undefeated in swiss. With Gagarin I beat two Nexus Kate and two Noise. Eventually lost to MaxX in a very unfortunate agenda flood (drew 5-6 agendas, got keyholed and she hit 3 on keyhole runs).

The deck has legs. Give it a shot!

4 Likes

Haven’t seen your list but are you scoring with Ash? If so how did you beat Nexus Kate? Unless she misplayed and wasted money running RND too much.

Here’s his list, as I found it, so no, no Ash.

Let’s say, the deck could match her for money (and increase the trace when it mattered) and Nexus Kate has no way to beat stacked Tour Guides. Stacked Spiderwebs on RnD was too taxing for repeat runs, and museum of history kept archives clean.

Ash does nothing against Nexus Kate anyway.

1 Like

I love Gagarin, but I lose almost 90% of the time against Whizzard. In this anarch-heavy meta, is it playable if I know most of the top decks are going to be Whizzard or Noise with Imps?

Yes, it is. I’m undefeated against Whizzard. And I beat 2 Noise in Swiss.

Here, I posted the deck to NRDB and gave a writeup.

10 Likes

Liked for the name alone.

I am a blue barracuda, through and through.

2 Likes

having played against @cspieker playing this deck several times now I fully agree that the whizzard matchup is actually quite good and the noise matchup decent. museum recycles the ice they trash and keeps R&D from getting too agenda dense. DBS prevents you from getting flooded. Hostile makes trashing assets slow your own setup. But it’s the critical mass of it all together that makes it work. Do you trash the hostile? they recycle it and keeping getting rich with turtlebacks and getting the cards they want with DBS. Trash the museum? They’re still getting rich off turtlebacks and drawing with DBS to find jackson or more museums. Everything synergizes so well I really just gave up trashing assets and went for the medium dig. Only imp spam has a chance of actually trashing everything. I’m actually ready to add hacktivist to my anarch decks.

1 Like

I think just targeting museums, Jacksons and recursion pieces are probably the right call. But it’s tough. You basically ceede the economic game to your opponent.

Still wish there was room for x2 Ash for those late game scores.

against noise especially you have to protect museum or the virus trashing can reach a critical mass. But yeah it’s painful to trash a muesum and leave 2x turtlebacks and 2x DBS on the board.

1 Like

What do you guys think of using false lead + Off the Grid + Crisium to ensure a safe scoring of a 5/3? They still have to run HQ twice to even force you to forfeit the false lead. You would generally win with 1 GFI and 4 points of Atlas, Public support and false leads. So based on @CJFM 's Hidden Temple cut a DBS and use 3 GFI, 2 NAPD, 3 Atlas and 3 False Leads. Squeeze in 2 Off the Grid and 1 more Crisium and you have a very strong ICEless scoring option.

The problem with Off the Grid–though I like the idea–is that it trashes for free in R&D, and if you’re dedicating ice to HQ, you’re not dedicating ice to R&D, which is where Gagarin loses.

2 Likes