Gagarin Appreciation Thread

It seems to be the “fat” of the build to me, but I have a small sample size.

I really like the deck. Hats off by the way.

In my two intro games with the deck I didn’t play the root. I will try a few more reps though, but you could drop them and the executive boot camp for x3 Tech Startups.

Or could try Willow, which might be decent against Faust/Anarch decks.

Or build out Chronos into the deck to hate on recursion.

I think all those options have their merits.

1 Like

I think I’m going to try a Will-O too, as it is probably the closest thing to a defensive upgrade that doesn’t cost Wey-Wey any influence, which is something you mentioned in the videos.

I also really like the idea of trying to squeeze a Fast Track in. I’m looking forward to experimenting!

1 Like

Same.

I also thought I might want to put off the grid in, since there is Crisium in there already and you have rez cost reducers, but that was probably just a fever dream.

Thought about this. Bonuses are that it makes the remote a 2 extra click +5 cred tax. Which is pretty awesome. Downsides are that it makes R&D extremely fragile if there are too many of those + Tech Starts in there. I talked to @cspieker about doing the same thing and his answer was, and I’m paraphrasing, “you have a good deck idea here, so there’s no need to put bad cards in it.” :wink:

Will-O is pretty sweet, actually, I might try one at first (also a problematic card for R&D because of its low trash cost). Remember that you really want R&D to be as resilient as possible as a fundamental. Gagarin has historically had difficulties with R&D mid-late game, and that can be the problem if there are too many uber-trashable things.

1 Like

I gave this a try and wow, it is way better than my previous Gagarin deck. Nice job!

Have you considered throwing a few Power Shutdowns in? The Museums make trashing less dangerous, and it’s a great anti-Datasucker tech.

1 Like

Museums make the trashing less dangerous only if your opponent decides to not check archives before your next turn (very unlikely).

I think of Museum not as a “oh, let’s get back agendas and stuff card” (nice, if that happens), but as a “let’s keep R&D really full of cards that make accessing lower probability to hit an agenda”.

I have not, but I don’t think you really want to be doing that. It’s not a rigshooter, but I feel that if you went Shutdown + Blacklist + Kala Ghoda Real TV, you could do some damage with that. Different build, and you’d have to compensate somehow with the deckslots (losing a few assets in exchange for Shutdown).

One thing I’ve noticed with this deck is that I’m popping Jackson a lot less (I ended the last game I played with two on the table and one in hand), so it’s less of a hit if you have to pop him for a single agenda reshuffle.

My experience as well. The bonus for Jackson, then, is in his card draw ability. Because he will help you pad out your hand and toss agendas if you flood (which is not super likely with the agenda suite) and he will draw you into more money faster. I think he’s still essential to speed up the deck mid-late game, to find agendas when it is evident you have scoring windows.

1 Like

have you thought about housekeeping? It seems like it would help against 1) noise and 2) hacktivist (not common but devastating for this deck).

Ok, a couple questions for you guys. Any particular reason to run Museum of History? Can you actually kill Anarchs with Scorched Earth? And if you do run 54 cards for Museum of History, what economy do you slot in?

1.) Museum of History + High Value Assets + Gagarin Tax = Profit. Even against Whizzard it is perhaps the second most taxing ID for the runner, in terms of taking down assets. Or it lets you get the ICE that was gobbled up already back into your deck. Run it, love it.

2.)No, don’t run Scorched in this deck. It takes up 4-6 slots that will kill a runner maybe one in ten to fifteen games. Its so inconsistent right now, I would just double down on Gagarin assets.

3.) PAD, Mumba Temple, The Root, Turtlebacks and possibly Launch Campaign. Also diversified portfolio has been fantastic.

I think this shell works pretty well right now out of both Gagarin and RP. Its worth checking out and optimizing.

2 Likes

How do you actually score? If the runner chooses not to trash your assets, all the money in the world doesn’t help you score. Is the intent to score public support and atlas? While I really like the addition of museum/temple in Gagarin, it seems like it faces the same problems I had in earlier Gagarin. It doesn’t matter how much money you have if the runner knows when you will score.

2 Likes

Tour Guide.

1 Like

Tour Guide on remotes typically will lock out an opponent, unless they pack Parasite or Shrike. Anything else won’t be able to handle 5+ subs easily.

The question of “How do you score” can become a problem with the deck, especially with the public agendas.

Right now, I think rushing out with Willow protection is probably the best shot you have against an opponent who camps your remotes. Then, playing hide the agenda and hope your public sympathies pull you through is probably the best shot you have got.

Still tempted to try OtG, but its probably garbage. I just keep thinking an Ash + Crisium + OtG server is only as unlikely as an Ash + Breaker Bay + Caprice server in old Foodcoats. But that would lose you a lot of deck slots and R&D trash cost increase for something that is pretty mediocre.

not that it’s super common right now but switchblade totally wrecks tour guide as well

Fixed that for you :wink:

3 Likes

And faerie

1 Like

“How you score” may be a problem against runner with regular breakers, but for the current “all in on Faust” meta, this deck can easily build up a server that Faust is not going to get through (short of CT Bagbiter Faust where you have 20 cards to dump).

For decks not reliant on Faust, you need to try to make them run through your big server twice (e.g. sacrfice and agenda one turn, or head-fake with a Jackson, then drop another one in the next).

An Ash would be really good, for sure, but what to cut? Maybe 2 of the 1-inf things for Ash+Interns. Hostile Infrastructure could go, but that seems like good insurance against Apocalypse and Keyhole decks, since the light ICE count makes those a real worry.

Ash won’t fire if Crisium is active, yeah?