Imaginary Cards

HB Asset

2 Rez - 5 Trash
If you have 1-5 more credits than the runner at the beginning of your turn, the runners grip size is reduced by 1 until your next turn
If you have 6-10 more credits than the runner at the beginning of your turn, the runner loses [click] at the beginning of their turn
If you have 11 or more credits than the runner at the beginning of your turn, gain [click]

I love that console flavor text. I guffawed.

It’s an anarch console designed to heighten the effects of drugs, so…

I was thinking of a card design and am trying to figure out the best way to balance

Corporate Snitch
2 cost resource, Criminal

Install only if you made a successful run on HQ this turn.

Trash: Prevent a “When Scored” ability on an agenda from triggering

Basically a card design I was thinking of just to counter the things that annoy me the most, Breaking News being one of them. Also nerfs CI’s Eff Committee and 24/7 decks.

Might make the card unique, maybe the ability is too good, but I think it’s potentially interesting design space.

2 Likes

Maybe make the ability: Whenever an agenda is scored, before any when scored effects are resolved, you may spend [credits] equal to the advancement cost of the agenda and trash Corporate Snitch. If you do, prevent any when scored effects on the agenda.

2 Likes

That’s a neat idea.

Reasoning:

• Can’t be used when broke (really important in A:NR)
  • Slight nerf to small agendas, pushing big agendas into the limelight
  • Crushes problematic supercombos (mostly off Breaking News)

Unfortunately it also kills Chronos Project, which is huge out of Jinteki: PU, and they just hit the mat.

I like, but wow would that make Amped Up and Stimhack super good. Granted, Cerebral Static wrecks your day.

1 Like

You forget the doozie: Stim Dealer.

The important thing about Wyvern is that you still take damage, which still burns cards.

Titanium Ribs anyone?

I had a few thoughts running through my head. 1) Jackson Howard makes toys and works in collaboration with all the major corporations. 2) Bioroids show us that physical entities can have a strong net presence as ice. 3) Jackson Howard will be retiring soon. What legacy will he leave? Also, 4) even though advanceable ice is a Weyland thing, and it hasn’t been great, that doesn’t mean Weyland is the only one who cares about advancement tokens (see: Jinteki). So I thought that maybe we could have a suite of net-ready, not-at-all-like-Pokemon toys as ice/defensive upgrades. Companions for your children that can connect to your network and protect them from harm. And they can make use of advancement tokens without being advanceable ice!

And yes, the names are bad for now; alternatives are welcome.
/////
Terrapindigo
ICE: Barrier - Toy
[Edit] Rez 2, Str 1
When you rez Terrapindigo, place one advancement token on it.
Hosted advancement token: Derez 1 card or 2 toy cards. Gain credits equal to the total rez costs of those cards.
→ End the run
Haas-Bioroid – ●○○○○

Art: The glowing turtle from Jackson Howard’s art, next to a digital representation of a larger-sturdier-looking turtle (hey, if a whole ice wall can be strength 1, why not a big turtle?).

A basic gear check barrier for HB that can pull its own (or someone else’s) head back into its shell for a refund. Pretty weak on its own, but potentially good with the other toys. Could extend the life of a campaign, or allow a mini Blue Sun thing with Oversight AI / Bioroid Efficiency Research. Also, the new HB ID might like it to gain a few bucks off of a reduced-rez ice.
/////
Cheshirascal
Upgrade: Toy
Rez 3, Trash 2
When you rez Cheshirascal, place 1 advancement token on it and derez all other copies of Cheshirascal.
When the runner passes a piece of ice on this server, deal 1 net damage unless the runner pays 1c for each advancement token on Cheshirascal.
When the runner accesses Cheshirascal while installed, end the run unless the runner trashes the top 2 cards of his or her stack.
Jinteki – ●○○○○

Art: That grinning cat in the background of Jackson Howard’s art, next to a net version of a pouncing, fierce-looking cat with an evil-looking toothy grin.

A non-unique defensive upgrade for Jinteki. Starts with a pup-like tax, eventually becoming more expensive (leading to the likelihood of the runner taking net damage. Derezzes other copies to keep stacking from being a thing. Cheap to trash, but requires the runner to take a stack hit for the opportunity; with more cards coming out to combat recursion that might be more of a problem now. Multiple copies can be rezzed in sequence to build up counters, but that gets expensive, and eventually the runner will just take damage rather than paying. Also, advancement tokens mean it works with Tenin, Trick of Light, and Mushin (though the last one places it at risk of not being rezzable for a turn).
/////

Reparrot
ICE: Sentry - Toy - Tracer
Rez 3, Str 3
When you rez Reparrot, place 1 advancement token on it.
Hosted advancement token: Increase trace strength by 3.
→ Trace^5 – If successful, give the runner 1 tag.
→ Resolve a subroutine on a piece of rezzed toy or tracer ice.
NBN – ●○○○○

Art: following suit, the parrot from J-How next to its much cooler looking net counterpart.

The last one I came up with, and probably the most out-of-place. I’m not sure about the first subroutine, but I want something short to fit all the text. I wanted to stick to the theme of boosting new IDs, so this (regrettably) should help CtM land a tag from its ability, even with link becoming more common.
/////
Feefrog
Ice: Code Gate - Toy
Rez 3, Str 5
When you rez Feefrog, place 1 advancement token on it.
When the runner encounters Feefrog, you may place 1 advancement token on a rezzed toy card.
→ The runner loses 1c for each advancement token on Feefrog.
→ Gain 1c for each advancement token on Feefrog.
Weyland – ●○○○○

Art: The frog on Jackson Howard’s desk, next to a digital frog grabbing something out-of-from with its tongue.

Cheap, high-strength code gate that builds tokens for other toy cards. It can work on itself to improve the credit swing, or remain as a big, expensive Pop-Up Window that improves another card.
/////
●Sunhound
Ice: Mythic - Toy
Rez 3, Str 4
When you rez Sunhound, place 1 advancement token on it.
Hosted advancement token: Rez 1 piece of ice, paying all costs.
→ You may draw 1 card.
→ You may shuffle one card from HQ or Archives into R&D.
Neutral – ●○○○○

Art: A Legendary Pokemon-esque golden dog in Jackson Howard’s suit, surrounded by net representations of the other toys.

Some tech against Blackmail/DDoS, and some of Jackson’s functionality in the subroutines. Unique and damage-/trash-/ETR-free in exchange for needing an AI breaker to get through.
/////
EDIT: NOTE: I’m not certain about whether the advancement tokens are actually hosted since they’re not counters, but I went with the closest example I could recall.

I actually weirdly like the idea for this suite. I think terrapandingo is possibly a bit good though for a hard etr in HB. Cheshirascal on the other hand seems overcosted, also I don’t understand the when accessed ability as ice isn’t accessed, and ending the run mid access is potenetially confusing.

Cheshirascal is not an ice. It’s a defensive upgrade. It adds PU-friendly net damage and can be a pain to trash without Plop [EDIT] by ending the run before the window to pay its trash cost comes up. That’s how it would work, no?

I am also second-guessing Terrapindigo’s ability. On its own, you can only use it once, and it doesn’t seem all that powerful accept to re-rez other toy cards, but maybe it’s too strong in combination with other effects that add advancement tokens and rez ice for cheap (but don’t stick around to keep lowering the rez cost, a la Brain-Taping Warehouse). What if it gets 2 advancement tokens on rez, and spends 2 for its ability. Same effect on its own, but harder to use with other cards that place advancement tokens.

EDIT: Or were you saying that a 1/1 ETR in HB is too strong? Would 2/1 make more sense? I didn’t think it was that bad as a gear check compared to Ice Wall or Next Silver, both of which can get more expensive to break through.

Mostly that 1/1 with a (strong) upside seems a bit good for HB when compared to Ice Wall. The ability is really good with campaigns, so probably 2/1 or maybe 2/2 would be better.

Monica Singh
Weyland Asset-Character
Rez: 2
Trash: 4
As an additional cost to rez Monica Singh, forfeit an agenda.
Whenever the runner ends their turn with at least 1 tag, you may rez Monica Singh, ignoring all costs.
(Click, Credit)- Do 1 meat damage or trash 1 resource.

Sometimes you have to search through the worst of the worst to find the best of the best.

2 Likes

TANSTAFFL

NBN Operation-Grey Ops-Double
Play: 3
Influence: 3
(Double Text)
Play only if the runner has 15 or more credits in his or her credit pool and made a run last turn… Trace 10: If successful, give the runner 2 tags.

Something for nothing…

Bot.0X - Patient Zero
Anarch ID - Cyborg
0 link
45/15
Whenever the corp purges virus counters, you may put a virus counter on a program.
“Don’t hold your breath.”

2 Likes

Nice idea, it would be cool to see Hivemind decks be a thing.

1 Like

Yellowjacket
NBN ICE-Sentry
Rez: 6
Strength: 3
Trace 1: If successful, give the runner 1 tag.

BzzzBzzzz

3 Likes