[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

Don’t do it, Supermodernism will grind your bones to make its bread.

Yesterday, at the Liege Regional, I got flatlined with double scorched by a Jinteki Replicating Perfection deck after hitting a snare and not clearing the tag because I was at low credits at time (1 cred if I Remember correctly) and didn’t really fear a closed account.

It was unexpected and it gave me an humility lesson I wouldn’t forget.

3 Likes

The winner of the 41 player regional last weekend was running a prepaid voicepad deck with no plascrete. There were very few weyland decks present, but there were several NBN decks running mid-season/scorched, at least two in the top 8.

I’ve tried it on OCTGN a few times. Beat CI Scorch once in 3 tries, because he was bad at math. Other time, was on game point and couldn’t get that final point.

I put Daily Casts in. Went back to Plas.

It really depends on how completely confident you are that your meta doesn’t scorch people at all. In my regular playgroup, one guy runs a mean CI Scorch deck, another used to play TWIY* TurboScorch before I convinced him to change to Astrobiotics (yeah, I know right, what was I thinking), and another PE player with a singleton Scorch.

On the other hand, at my Regionals there were only 4 Weyland players, one of them being myself. Two made top 8, one top 16, and the last was 17th. Also, our winner was a Midseason/Psycho/Scorch NBN: MN. It’s entirely possible that people are just becoming complacent against the threat of Scorched Earth, but make of the data what you will.

I, for one, will not be taking out my Plascretes anytime soon…

This is the second time this thread has gone down this line. The discussion first time around is here: Is Plascrete the Optimal Choice? - #33 by GreedyGuts.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’ve been running 1x Magnum Opus instead of Plascrete in Kate because against a Weyland or NBN matchup you can just tutor it out and outpace them economically. Seems ok, but I rarely see SE decks.

Didn’t mean to be repetitive, was following up on the earlier discussion on the topic to see if anyone had been testing it after we talked about it - I have been testing it but just haven’t run into anyone using scorch yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

So this is what I’m running at the moment - any suggestions? I’ve run it in a couple of tournaments and not gone lower than 3rd, but it does feel like it’s missing something.

Burner Kate

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (23)

Hardware (10)

Resource (2)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (3)

14 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I’m thinking of dropping a Sharpshooter for an Atman. Dino is mostly there for strong sentries but I actually haven’t managed to drop it yet. I do really love Indexing here - you really want it early and can put on some serious pressure.

@shmyberfeeder how are you finding the deck without Diesel and Parasite? I find that it’s pretty hard to kick the habit once you start pulling off end-of-turn shenanigans with SMC to kill annoying Komainus.

Speaking of which, I get a very strong feeling that RP is a pretty bad matchup for this deck. A burst econ deck like this really has issues with multiple asset econ, well, assets. And it’s not like HBFA when you can just snipe the campaigns and the SanSans and Indexing for points every other turn, not when half their agendas protect themselves (TFP, NAPD) and the other half protects the first half as well (Nisei, False Lead). More so than EtF, RP feels like it has the ability to grind you out over 20 turns, then Niseitrain their way to victory.

1 Like

@Jai

Spot on with RP - I’ve only had one game against it, which went to time mostly due to Shi.Kyu (got a modified win). I also got a bit lucky with his centrals ice letting me just bounce off.

With Parasite, would you suggest dropping a Legwork or maybe Mimic for one? I’m also not really sure where to fit Diesel. Don’t want to drop Indexing as it’s almost always amazing. R&D Interface/something else…?

I’d suggest dropping the mimic. I’ve been running just femme, deus x, and sharpshooter for my sentry breakers (along with a one of atman). A one-of parasite has been amazing for me, especially since I run 3 clone chips. This lets me recur parasite, or the single shot breakers, and also lets me discard femme if I draw it so I can install it mid run. Caduceus becomes a bit of a problem, and once or twice guard has been annoying, but overall its worked very well.

1 Like

That’s true, however what if you get locked out early by a sentry? i find mimic is a good catch all for the early game

Or, an Atman 2 or 3.

I tried it out last night and it wasn’t too great, got locked out by a Guard and smashed by a Komainu. Mimic also saved my ass from an SMC in my last tournament. To be fair I am not great at knowing when to commit an Atman.

So Ajar directed me to this thread after I put in a reqest looking for a new decktype to try. Around the same time I came across this idea over on BGG. I made some modification from the original. (The original was highly dependent on ProCo.)

The may be a little of the beaten path since it doesn’t use Atman. The idea is pressure R&D and then switch to HQ pressure with the end result of blowing up their hand. Reading some of the thread I can see that swapping out RDI for Indexing might a way to go. Escher might work also to soften up HQ once the corp’s rezzed enough ICE.

From what I understand Pre-Paid voice Pad seems really popular for economy right now.

Any suggestions?

Chaos Practice (41 cards)

Chaos Theory: Wunderkind

Event (16)
2 Demolition Run •••• 3 Diesel 1 Levy AR Lab Access 3 Scavenge 3 Sure Gamble 1 Surge 3 Test Run
Hardware (9)
3 Clone Chip 2 Grimoire •••• 2 Plascrete Carapace 2 R&D Interface
Resource (2)
2 Kati Jones
Icebreaker (6)
1 Crypsis 1 Deus X 1 Femme Fatale 1 Gordian Blade 1 Sharpshooter 1 Snowball
Program (8)
1 Imp ••• 3 Magnum Opus 1 Nerve Agent •• 3 Self-modifying Code

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

Kneejerking, I’d say Grimoire is underutilized INF in here. It’s just to get some additional bumps off of NA and Imp? They’ll prob. wipe them immediately. Without Parasites, I wouldn’t run Grimoire. Plenty of better MU options in faction.

While PPVP is popular, I’ve seen the rise of Opus in dex lately, which is a nice trend, as well. Diversity is good/fun/encouraged. It works especially well in CT.

Not sure about Crypsis in here. I guess it fits with Grimoire and whatnot, and will guarantee those deep dig runs, if you have the time/cash. Otherwise, your breaker suite is pretty expensive. I understand, you’re running 3 Test Run/Scavenge. If you’re going that route, why not run the heavy hittas? (Torch/Garotte/etc.)

Or morning star- mem is a bit tight, but it matches up well against all the eli’s and bastions seeing play right now, never mind hive

1 Like

I’m always game for new suggestions. I sort of agree on you with Grimoire. So basically go for Memory Chips and not bother with a console then? Toolbox is expensive, Dino’s interesting, I also looked at Spinal modem and Logos.

The idea of loading up on the high end breakers to really work the Test/Scavenge combo is a good idea. I’ve already got Femme, Torch for Code Gates, if I go with Dino I could use Morning star to break mostly everything and use Femme to bypass what Morning star can’t break.

Crypsis is sort of a “None of the above” sort of answer. I saw the CT-Overmind thread, but I’m not sure I could make that work and still keep the original idea. I could probably use Atman to troubleshoot tricky ICE. The reason I wasn’t going full Atman on the breaker suite was not having the influence or MUs for Datasuckers and Parasites.

1 Like