[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

Sorry about that, there was a problem with our mail server that just cropped up and should now be fixed. :blush:

That’s fine haha, was just eager to post the deck as the reply that’s all!

What do you all think about an e3 implants / overmind / grappling hook breaker suite? perhaps in combination with datasuckers and a lone atman

1 Like

definitely not enough - you will not pass Wraparound efficiently

1 Like

I feel like Grappling hook is too expensive to build a breaker suite around, it’s awesome as an “oh shit” button. Also, Teh Prof likes it :smiley:

(And it’s great against Inazuma)

Agree on the primary breaker front, but Grappling Hook + E3 is a nice upgrade to those Faeries you have on hand.

For the decks of @Lysander and @Nordrunner - how do you deal with sentries that are greater than 2 like the Ichis and even the caduceus? Isn’t pumping Femme just too expensive over time?

That’s why Femme Dinosaurus is so good milkolate. Also not breaking sentries is usually an option, just click through the program trashing and let them run the traces.

1 Like

@milkolate that’s either what I’m putting 1 of my 2 femmes on, or I drop a femme in Dino and I do fine.

I’m thinking a 4-strength Atman is a really efficient way to break most bioroids, what do you think of including one in place of the second Deus X, or perhaps the second Parasite? Is it just too expensive to get into play initially? Or are you finding you’re mostly using DX against Heimdalls and Januses?

It would also offer the benefit of flexibility, because you’d have Atman available as a problem-solver in other situations.

I’ve got to say, I played Nordunner’s build today at Regionals and it bombed big time, I didn’t win a single runner game (although I had an unexpected flat-line loss and two timed out games on 1 hour rounds what all easily could have been wins under other circumstances).

The big breakers just seem to be too cumbersome to get into play. Test Run / Scavenge is ok when it comes out in the right order, and an early Pro Contacts helps, but I found it very unreliable if it all comes out upside down. You end up having to bankrupt yourself playing 9 cost breakers just for gear checks. I found it hard to run aggressively as a result, which meant that I wasn’t forcing the corp to spend money, which then meant they had a lot of tempo to play bigger economy operations and rez stuff like SanSan. e.g. a $0 Paper Wall is forcing a $5 Battering Ram, and a $1 Quandary is forcing a $9 Torch.

If you happen to draw one of your breakers it’s a disaster, because now you either have to over-draw to discard it before wasting a Test Run, or you pay full price.
I spent the whole day just wishing I had packed Katman instead :frowning:

3 Likes

@Arkhon Sorry to hear that. I remember Nord saying in his Youtube channel that that’s a possibility and the proper response is to draw out of it and to almost never pay the full price of the breakers, but at the same time, it’s definitely far from an ideal scenario regardless.

Ultimately, it’s a problem not uncommon for Atman decks, or Shapers in general, which is further exacerbated by reliance on PPVP. @Ajar and I had gone back to the drawing board testing and tweaking, and we both came up with near-identical lists that actually had more in common with Nords’s CT than our original Katman. The most notable change we independently agreed on was the complete lack of Datasucker. Quite simply, the reason Criminals have been so well off is due to all their cards being so valuable, so the fewer lynchpins our Shaper decks must rely on, the more consistent they become. It hurts cutting the Datasuckers and going down to one Parasite, but the deck feels more consistent now.

News from the Chicago Regional front…

Parasite recursion was everywhere. Outside of myself, at least four other Shapers (2 traditional Katman, 1 Kit, 1 Kate) in T16 were running it.

Here’s my list. Of course everyone was surprised to see Prepaid. Their loss.

PADman

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (21)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Indexing (Future Proof)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
1x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (9)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
1x CyberSolutions Mem Chip (Fear and Loathing)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (2)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set) •
1x Inti (Creation and Control)
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)

Program (7)
2x Datasucker (Core Set) ••
2x Parasite (Core Set) ••••
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

A quick recap:
R1: Super Bye. Still have one in the back pocket.

R2: v. BABW. A pretty good matchup. Build cash, draw/play Plas, Snipe at will with Indexing, use Deus X on Snare. (7-2; used a 1pter on an Archer; go-go Sharpshooter; more on that later)

R3: v. TWIY. Tough matchup. Pushed hard. Was able to get accesses pretty well. When, on one turn, both a Legwork (of a 4 card hand) and Indexing (failed all day) provide nothing, what do you do? Got to 5 points fairly quick, and petered out. He was at 6, with 2 APPs with token. He rezzed Howard, drew, drew, Biotic’d, drew, install in SanSan and won.

R4: v. H-B EtF. Was the second game. Had less than 15 minutes, as his Katman was playing slow, and I wasn’t pushing Agendas. Didn’t have a lot of time. Got to 6 points, he got to 5. I made a final run on an Ichi 2/Wotan/Eli/Popup R&D. Clone’d a Femme on Wotan, and ended up ONE cred shy. Should’ve killed that Popup earlier. He top-deck the Agenda and Biotic’d it out (we were at time).

R5: v. TWIY. This was a product of my 2 previous rounds going to time, no food, and the second game of the matchup. Hit him hard, Sited a Quandary, and Legwork’d HQ (4 cards). Didn’t see the Scorched, and stupidly threw away a Plas after a QT. He advanced/scored Breaking/Scorched me (3 cards in hand) on T4.

R6: v. BABW. Early Plas once again slowed him down. Deus X was a lifesaver. My fave play: He was at 3 points to my zero. I needed a win (lost first game), and a morale boost. Indexed, saw ONE agenda (Geo). Turn one run it was, and he rezzed an Archer in front of the Grim. Used Sharp, Suckered (had 2)/Atman (3STR) the Grim. Thought for a second, then SOT a Scavenge, a Sucker for a Sharp. Ran in for my first points. Ended up LARLA’ing for money/Deus/Sharp recursion.

T16: v. MN. Not a ton of ICE, but enough to keep me out. Got all 3 Prepaid in first 3 turns. Atman 2 blasted through Engima on R&D. One Agenda (NAPD), and I don’t have the cash. He overdraws for it, and puts a Tollbooth on R&D. I await cash, Index again, Femme the Booth from a Clone. 1 Agenda, APP. He scores 2 NAPD. Finally, he has a 3 ICE remote, an upgrade, and IAA. I Index again, with the Maker’s ready. Nothing. TERRIBLE accesses with Maker’s all day. He Beales out.

Overall, the deck worked well. Had a shot everytime. I liked every card in it at some point. Inti even killed some paper walls. Didn’t see a Jinteki (there’s a Tenma in T8!), but I felt like the LARLA is a must have (used it twice). The speed and accesses was great. Just because the Indexings hit shit doesn’t mean they’re not good.

Not sure what I would change, but it was a blast. I played kids in R3 and R4 playing almost clones of the deck Veen and I ran at Worlds. Desperados, RDI, ProCon/Kati… it has lulls, IMHO. Feels a little clunkier. I prefer this build, to be honest. There were times against them when I laid traps when I should’ve been pushing PriReq, as they had ZERO chance of getting in. (side note: 1 Inazuma in Red Coats was awesome)

Well, that’s that. Even though I had losses, I felt like I was in every game. Know how to kill Criminal/Siphon? Big ICE dex and Jinteki. As a result, NBN was running a little more wild.

FWIW, I believe every card in the deck hit the table at some point. Got some double takes on the Mem Chip. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, there were 87 players, and 11 Super Byes, FWIW.

FWIW, 4 of my Swiss opponents finished Swiss 2nd, 3rd, 9th, and 18th. 5th had a Super Bye.

If you’re interested, our event was 38 players with 5 or 6 Super-byes.
Winner at the end of swiss was Jinteki RP / Kate Toolboox (by which I mean many programs to answer problems, not literally Toolbox) with 22/24. That was the only Jinteki deck anywhere in the top half though.
The final two runners at the KO were both Andromeda. Iain Stirling was represented in the top 8 and seemed to be running well. No major surprises all day.

I was there playing Lysander’s deck and CI. I finished second. we just finished the last game a half hour ago. Never needed levy. Made play mistakes final game after being at pastimes for 13 hours and gave up first place to the tenin institute player who stayed sharp all game despite the long event.

Amazing players there, I played against so many tournament winning players and ANR personalities.

I really struggled to find legwork a few times but overall the deck felt solid. Not having levy was never a problem, it forced me to be really precise with my clone chips and resources. I had to let an archer trash my rig so that I could make a game winning play with a clonechip the next turn - if I was playing Levy, I might have been inclined to make the clonechip play and lose instead of win.

6 Likes

@spags nice job on the top 16! Glad to hear about your experience with the build. The few times I peeked in on your games, you seems to have things well in control.

I played all top 16 opponents in swiss standings and 3 in the top 5. Needless to say I ran into some pretty stiff competition. That was a great field and a friendly fun group to play with. Big tourneys simply are the best.

So I played my CT deck. I made a couple tweaks (I will post). It went 3-2 on the day. Obviously I am not super pumped with the record, but I can say the deck performed like a dream. I was truly surprised how well it could control the game, including vs NBN, I was scared for this matchup. It was plenty fast to apply pressure anywhere early, and late game its almost always going to be strong. I played 1 Scorch Weyland, 1 HB Glacier, 2 TWIY, and 1 MN. Every loss (all NBN) came down to missing agenda(s) in their HQ when I legworked once (or twice!) only to miss. In every game there were moments where the odds were in my favor to win, but just couldn’t land it. And you know what, that’s Netrunner and I wouldn’t want it any other way! :smiley: All 3 of my opponents even admitted to me that they felt fortunate to have won. So big picture I have to walk way impressed with the deck, and I see no reason why I can’t make another regional run with it.

Couple take-a-ways -

-Last minute Imp addition proved to be vital and the icing on the cake. It’s really got a lot of power when most of my central runs are multi-access. Let’s me efficiently find power cards and trash them. Imp saved my life against the Weyland deck when I could trash an SE during a makers eye. Allowed me to trash an NAPD from hand on no creds, and gave me answers for Eve and SanSan without going broke.

-Legwork is flipping fantastic. (That’s all that needs to be said)

-Not sure how I feel about indexing. Would not take a makers out for an index. It helped give me a little control of the game, so might be worth 1 just to keep drawing into ways to keep the R&D lock on.

-Pretty sure LARLA is a must have (especially in Chaos Theory), but not certain.

-Shaper seems best equipped for a tournament to handle all corp decks, especially as Jinteki picks up steam.

-This game is in a truly great state. It’s amazing to walk away from a tourney feeling like I played some of the best ANR of my life and not make the top 16 (22nd). The level of competition was really high, and that is really great for the game. Additionally so many games came down to one play, or one credit, or 1 card. It seems like the Corp/Runner balance is just about perfect.

And the Deck:.

Chaos Theory: Wünderkind (Cyber Exodus)

Event (21)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus)
3x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••• •
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••••

Hardware (6)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
1x Dinosaurus (Cyber Exodus)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (5)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (5)
2x Femme Fatale (Core Set) ••
1x Battering Ram (Core Set)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Torch (Mala Tempora)

Program (3)
1x Imp (What Lies Ahead) •••
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

6 Likes

@chill84 awesome job! I glanced over before you left and thought you were playing NEXT! Playing a Scorched build?

Also, find you needed 2 Deus?

The Deus’s did a lot of work actually, it was weird, especially considering that heimdall 2 is the only card they break, I had 2 games where deus ex out of hand allowed me to score when I shouldn’t have been. Against Weyland in the finals, it was really nice being able to get one down early.

I had to spend a lot of credits on femme-o-saurus, playing sharpshooter would have certainly been reasonable and good, I figured there would be some HB decks there, so I decided to be a crazy person and follow lysander & Ajar’s advice.

but yeah, it kind of became a running joke among my friends that double-deus was relevant.

The shaper decks you guys came up with are just so good right now that weirdness like that doesn’t hinder the deck at all.

2 Likes