[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

Yes, yes, Well done. In the end, the joke is that it’s one freakin’ card. Calm down.

I was more impressed at the MaxX combo deck with no LARLA, 45 cards, and zero fucks given.

7 Likes

Also, @Paranoid had a strong showing (1 Runner loss in Swiss) with a 45 card Kate.

WE ALL WIN!

1 Like

@dashakan and I had two losses between us runner side with 47 card Maxx with a rando Quest Completed that did nothing all day for either of us, and Clot, which did nothing all day for either of us. It was a 45 card deck that we put on hard mode.

I may have used Clot if I’d drawn Clone chip more than twice the entire day (9 times through the deck with Levy…) I’ll just cut the clone chips next. 42 cards, 9 influence. See if we can start a debate about that.

“Is it worth running less than the deck minimum at a tournament with no deck checks?”

3 Likes

I understand that Runner decks that draw a lot and recur their deck can run more cards. My question is, “Why stop at 46?”. Keep going. Plenty of fun things to throw in. Next thing you know, we’ll have an 80 card Kate deck, run by @anon34370798.

6 Likes

I’ll like to feel that Wisconsin won.

I like to feel that all the time, though, so any excuse will do.

2 Likes

WI always wins. Specifically, the TDP aspect of it, but we’re willing to bring all of the state along for the ride on our backs. :wink:

1 Like

So, do you guys think Comet will be useful in PPVP Kate as a more-or-less direct swap for Astrolabe? With the meta slowing down a bit, the draw power of Astrolabe is not as important anymore (I feel). Comet sounds like it’s good (Lucky Find into Indexing?), but then again I want to abuse my recurring credits as much as possible, which seems kind of hard with this. Especially with the pricey install cost.

2 Likes

I think Comet is going to rock the meta on a level we haven’t seen since Desperado. I think this console might be stronger than Desperado. I think if you aren’t playing this console in a month you’d better have a damn good excuse for why and it’d probably ought to be because “Comet let my parents’ murderer take an extra click one too many times and he got away. Now I think I’m a bat and only play stealth credits”

11 Likes

Right now, Voicepad Kate only need 5 mu.
There’s NO downside of playing Astrolabe because it cost virtually nothing to install and the draw it gives is a nice perk but not something that you really need to win.
Comet is nice in a deck who play a tons of event like Voicepad Kate but it also have a couple of downsize, the main one is that your voicepad isn’t as efficient if you’ve to play for multiple events on a single turn. That and the 4 install cost.

I’m gonna try to fit Comet into PPVP Kate (or any build with a lot of events, really) but i’m not sure if it’s the right place for that console.

2 Likes

Calim kate has enough 0 cost events (diesel, scavenge, indexing).that you should often be able to maximize your PPVPs while also getting comet bonus often. Plus there are plenty of turns where you quality time and then dirty laundry, for example.

You’ll have to play a 3rd quality time to compensate for astrolabe’s draw accel, and you’ll probably also have to play clot because NEH is unbeatable without astrolabe. But the ability is absurdly good.

3 Likes

There’s a chance Shaper gets fast enough with this console that it beats NEH often enough it doesn’t need clot. And I think part of that is that you play Day Job on top of some of the other money events. Now Day Job isn’t 4 clicks for 8 money. It’s 4 clicks for 8 money + a run that maybe costs you 2 depending on the assistance of prepaid credits. Or, it’s 12 money because you gambled. Or its 15 because you gambled with voicepads out. Diesel > Lucky find while you have commet is: Draw 3 cards and gain 6-9 credits for 2 clicks. The ability to Quality Time > Run Event > Something else? It’s just pure speed. And the “sneak run” is still there. Gamble>Lucky find is +10 credits over two clicks, with voicepads still being an option.

4 Likes

(reminder i dont play blitz kate, i play stimhack atmans wait and bust your shit in kate… so… grain of salt.)

I’m not sold on Comet at 3 kate install, vs Astro’s zero.

I run a lot of events, but the few card draws seem good, since I play in an ebb and flow of economy > power turn of runs > economy

I will need to test comet though.

I think its a console that your style needs to fit. If you play an event, then make a run… its awesome. Combo the economy into a makers or whatever.

But if you front all your econ, so you can power indexing next turn… its harder to tell.

Its the 3 cost (as kate) thats killin me. Otherwise I would play Dino… cuz it would help a lot, but I never wanna spend that much for an effect rather than raw numbers.

Maybe im dumb. Maybe it doesnt fit my style of kate.

Probably just dumb. Well see when cards are in hand and I give it some games to test.

I think the way you have to look at this is:

Conditional: Do you have 2 events in hand?
If Yes: Gain a click
If No: Is one of those diesel/Quality time? Maybe Gain a click.

Combine that with Hailey (maybe instead of Kate) and you could be pressing 6 click turns at the beginning of the game, and the thing that hurts shaper the most tends to be set up time… so?

Perfectly legitimate scenario. 1 breaker in hand, 1 smc in play, 1 sure gamble in hand, 1 dirty laundry in hand. Gamble > Dirty Laundry > SMC for something > Install thing from hand. Have 3 clicks left.

It’s basically click compression in favor of the runner; so RP even is pretty annoyed when you can legwork HQ and then Dirty Laundry a remote.

I could go on. This card is nuts.

2 Likes

Live the dream, with Voicepads, an SMC, a Comet, and a Clone Chip installed: Start the turn at 1-0 Credits, Day Job/ Stimhack. End the turn with a rig, a stolen agenda, and some change left over.

4 Likes

Well the thing is… my event suite is

stimhack
indexing
test run
economy
diesel

And I draw to bank econ to explode my econ. So its gain a click… but because a click is kati… and a click is draw, minimum…

and a click for install for kate discount, or a resource… (armitage and daily casts)

outside of PPVP… comets value goes down, even if my deck is 20 events.

Ignore PPVP, and you dont have Dirty Laundry. 3 Indexing (an event you need to plan for) and 3 Stimhack (an event you dont just ‘throw out’ for fun) No Makers. No Legwork.

The value is good, if you have more events that arent timing based.

If your events are timing based though… its hard to get those clicks, without being silly or changing the deck.

Making sense why I am not thrilled?

I know you guys aren’t really fans of my style… but my post-clot version of my style Kate

Take a look, lemme know what you think.

Visage is REALLY awesome. Try it at least if you havent yet.

I’m playing it.

Let’s see… a nice cheap MU that may not see its ability used against certain IDs, or free clicks I control in an event-heavy build.

No brainer.

7 Likes

It does push me away from RDI, and I only just got here. But it’s good enough that it has to be at least tested.

The real brain bender is going to be how to build the best Hayley deck.

1 Like

Take your Kate PPVP deck and switch the ID?

Try to build a Chameleon/Sahasrara Deck, with Cache, Aesop’s, and junk programs, and Autoscripter? And Workshop