Let's talk Whizzard

It’s when you’re a dyed in the wool netrunner hipster intent on playing Whizzard, some combination of Exile and the Prof, and Iain. You’re proud of your worse ID and the fact that you did it your way.

More than 10 viruses and you should play Noise. Probably. Whizzard is cooler though.

3 Likes

Yep, I agree with the if >10 viruses, then Noise reasoning. I think a strong philosophy regarding Whizzard is to treat him like an “Anarch” criminal, hence the popularity of Desperado, Sec Test, and Special Order in Whizzard.

Whizzard has a strong built in econ engine, like most Criminals, and built in econ engines enable aggression.

1 Like

You might be onto something with wizard being a criminal in anarchs clothing, hell his insert in the pack he comes with, MR Lee is getting him to do stuff.

I’ve been having luck with this deck on OCTGN. Trying to cram as much card draw and econ into Whizzard as possible while splashing the 2 SMCs, 1 Atman, and 3 Clones. SMC is a dream card in Whizzard as it lets me threaten by setting up.

No more safe zone for the corps in the early mid game for easy remote play. Slows them down and lets me set up, and this deck is unstoppable once the rig is out. I almost want to ditch the Atman for a 3rd and rely on Knights for Lotus.

Whizzard SMC pre O&C

Whizzard: Master Gamer (What Lies Ahead)

Event (15)
1x Demolition Run (Core Set)
2x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Inject (Up and Over)
2x Queen’s Gambit (Double Time)
3x Stimhack (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (10)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)[color=#32CD32] ••••• •[/color]
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set)
2x Grimoire (Core Set)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (5)
2x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)

Icebreaker (4)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)[color=#32CD32] •••[/color]
1x Corroder (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (11)
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
3x Datasucker (Core Set)
1x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
3x Parasite (Core Set)
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)[color=#32CD32] ••••• •[/color]

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Source

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

Hey all,

Here’s my Whizzard deck from the STL tourney at Game Nite yesterday. I took first of a field of 14. Okay, before you examine some of the deck’s…questionable… choices, know three things:

1. I haven’t played in a year and
  2. I was throwing it together, untested, the night before
  3. the reason it doesn’t include any cards from the lunar cycle is that I don’t own any.

Anarch- Herpderp

Whizzard: Master Gamer (What Lies Ahead)

Event (10)
2x Déjà Vu i[/i]
1x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Special Order i[/i] [color=#4f67b0]····[/color]
3x Sure Gamble i[/i]
2x Surge (Humanity’s Shadow)

Hardware (9)
3x Cyberfeeder i[/i]
1x Desperado i[/i] [color=#4f67b0]···[/color]
1x Grimoire i[/i]
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x The Personal Touch i[/i] [color=#6ab545]····[/color]

Resource (15)
2x Activist Support (True Colors)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Data Leak Reversal (Future Proof)
3x Joshua B. (Cyber Exodus)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Alias (Honor and Profit) [color=#4f67b0]····[/color]
2x Morning Star (What Lies Ahead)
2x Yog.0 i[/i]

Program (6)
1x Datasucker i[/i]
1x Djinn i[/i]
2x Medium i[/i]
2x Parasite i[/i]

Cards in deck: 46 (min 45)
15/15 influence used
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built with Net Deck.

Assorted comments below;

1. what was I thinking with alias. Never again.
  2. how did that dirty laundry even get there
  3. want to know how the dlr performed? Me too. I never got to use it, not even once.
  4. Surge won a couple games. Very useful with parasite and with medium.
  5. morningstar came in like a wrecking ball.
  6. desperado was pure money. A++ would desper again.
  7. personal touch did exactly what it was supposed to do- kick up yog or morningstar. Made a significant difference. That said, probably shoulda gone with ice carver for one more cred and saved the influence.
  8. Josh B gave me the extra clicks I needed to win two games. Econ destruction from Whizzard made it difficult for them to capitalize on my tags.

I dunno. I’m sure y’all can tear my little list a new asshole but I thought I’d post it here and hope it’d somehow be useful for somebody.

Oh, one more thing- very pleased with my choice of Whizzard over Noise. I was using his ability constantly to wreck econ, sansans, ash, etc.

Cheers,

Mark

3 Likes

Is Queen’s Gambit reliable economy? Isn’t it dead versus Blue Sun and many Glacier builds?

Yeah, it’s also a detriment against smart players. Played against Nakaii last night, who saw Queen’s from Inject. He casually installed a Priority Req unadvanced in a light remote and I helped him score it, and then he did it again. My palm is still attached to my face.

I haven’t played against a lot of Blue Sun recently, but I imagine Queen’s wouldn’t be impossible to play. Jackson Howard and Boot Camp are still things, and their installs are semi-easy to read in Blue Sun.

One good thing about Queen’s is that you often get to play two of them in a turn. They pile up in your hand. I’ve gone from 0 to 12 in more than 2 games recently. So I’m not sure if I’m an overly effeminate male for cutting my Queen’s for Daily Casts, or if I made a good decision. Casts is fine, but in my deck I often need to burst up from 0.

2 Likes

I think Casts is just outright stronger, and though you’ll hit 0 a lot, I’d definitely prefer the money of Casts.

I don’t think Gambit is horrible though - it’s a worse version of Bank Job but Anarchs simply don’t have as much money in general, and against certain Corps it may be exactly what you want. So if you’ve extra room after Casts, I don’t think it necessarily deserves cutting.

1 Like

No extra room, but I could cut my 2 Dirty Laundry. My econ draw package is:

2 Earthrise
3 Inject
3 Sure Gamble
3 Liberated Accounts
3 Cyberfeeder
2 Dirty Laundry
2 Daily Casts

The problem is I have to click for credits often to play my primary econ card: Liberated Accounts. This engine will benefit greatly from Day Job, until then maybe I should just play Kati instead of LA. Thoughts?

I’ve not tested it myself, but I could see cutting the three Liberated for +1 Casts, DL, and Earthrise. Though personally I’d also rather have 3x Liberated over the 3x Cyberfeeder.

That would be potent, but the feeders make me more than Daily Casts in most games. Running a lot to charge datasucker or establish/reestablish the Medium lock. Also this deck installs on average 5 Parasites a game.

I just wonder how clunky Day Job will be. It’s an econ card you have to plan for, and it nears unplayable in late game situations.

Cyberfeeders are better than most people give them credit for. You want them early, but they’re rarely bad. Better than daily casts very often. My opinion of Liberated Account is pretty low. I don’t want them unless I’ve already maxed out my Armitage Codebusting allowance. 6 creds is not the number you want to find to play a money card. I love me some Codebusting.

Recurring credits move you to a slightly different head space. Cyberfeeders make you run more. This is a good thing.

Desperado is a deeply unfair card, it’s one of the reasons Criminal is such a good faction. It has really strong synergy with Whizzard. I have a deck whose influence is 2 desperado, 2 clone chip, 1 special order, 1 Atman. I’m getting pretty good results. Earthrise Hotel is fantastic for Anarch. Can’t wait for Steelskin too.

2 Likes

Daily Casts gives 5, and is considered to be a slow card. It takes 6 turns for Cyberfeeder to match that, assuming you can use it every turn (which requires breakers online fast and piles of extra cash, or a lot of virus cards). It’s great when you’re set up, but it gives very little help in setting up. It’s probably best in Noise with Crypsis, but I’ve been underwhelmed with it even testing there.

I dunno, maybe feeders are better maximized in tag-me, credit denial deck, but I swear they earn me a credit almost every turn. That’s slower than casts, but get it early and the sky’s the limit.

1 Like

I like Liberated in Whizzard. often if I see it opening hand I will click for cred and install. Sometimes Armitage is too slow, and it’s rare I have a LC in hand and cannot install when I need to

If you have to click for a credit to install Liberated then it takes you 1 fewer click to make 11. It feels faster than Armitage but it’s very marginal. When it’s on the board you have a gain 8 with 2 clicks left turn, maybe a gain 12 run turn, which is intimidating but it’s incredibly rare to be sad about Armitage whereas if you don’t have at least 4 creds Liberated is definitely worse.

I think liberated is a good card, I just think Armitage is closer to a great card.

1 Like

Yeah, the metrics for liberated get a lot worse when you’re clicking up to 6, but if you don’t have to, the two clicks you save over Armitage make it markedly better than that neutral standby.

In games where I’m installing LA without complications, I’m easily in control. That’s why Day Job is exciting to me; it’s another strong operation that allows you to get to LA range.

With that reasoning, I want to consider more low-cost econ to get to 6+ credits. Queen’s Gambits, Dirty Laundries, Day Jobs, Gambles. Maybe that’s the way to go over Daily Casts and Cyberfeeders in an LA-dependent deck.

I’ll have to test the pure-events+LA setup. It goes against my reasoning that it’s good to mix click-less econ (daily casts, feeders) with click-intensive econ (Day Job, LA, Armitage).

I think I tend to shy away from cards that are good when I’m winning. That statement is true, though if you’ve no trouble installing LA then you’re much better at floating credits than I am. I guess the exact same criticism can be levelled at Sure Gamble, and nobody is saying that’s not a great card. I like both in Whizzard, I tend to run 3 Armitage, 1-2 Liberated. I agree with your assessment that they pair well with cyberfeeders, daily casts. I like dense money cards in Anarch, cards that get you a lot of money, even if they don’t get it particularly fast. Anarch tends to (try) to play the longest game of the 3 runner factions, so they seem to require money that lasts the longest. I’ve not tried Opus in Whizzard, but it might be worth a look.

1 Like

Personally I’ve never been able to get over that sinking feeling when your only opening hand econ is LA. It kills any hope of getting tempo up and running. Armitage by contrast is ok in that position.

1 Like

Depends on your opponent - if they double-ice, just money up and don’t run first turn. If they don’t, take the random access they gave you and see what happens after that. Maybe a reasonable line of play opens up and LA becomes dead for a while - whatever. Or maybe you’ll just see a piece of ice, and can then still go credit, install LA, LA.

2 Likes