Living the dream

Nothing wrong with conceding once you’re in a game losing position. That’s been a feature of most games, and would be in Netrunner if there were not a weird tournament rule that forbids it.

1 Like

conceding is totally fine. the tournament rule is a bit daft as you could easily concede via a deliberate rules infringement.

In a 2 player game of any description I don’t care when my opponent concedes - a win is a win.

1 Like

Had a game last night where Quetzal on 5 points was against my IG. Had an untrashable Blacklist on the board almost all game and got him down to 0 card in hand, and 0 cards in stack. I was fully expecting him to concede, because I had a Ronin on the table as well.

He ran HQ which had a snare and a fetal, a future perfect, an overwriter and a GFI. Essentially a 40% chance of death and a 20% chance of the outright win. Lockdown -> Komainu did nothing, of course, and he hit the GFI.

I guess my point is that things can look pretty dire, but if you concede before they win, you’ll never find out if it could have been you.

1 Like

So you were living the dream until, in one hellish moment, you were not.

While I wasn’t planning on writing a “Living the Dream/Nightmare” post with that reply, I guess I did :smile:. In all honesty, keeping GFI in HQ was an obvious mistake. I had only popped 1 jackson all game and had one on the board, so it would have been perfectly safe in archives. I tunnel-visioned into the kill pieces once I realized he wasn’t going to be able to trash Blacklist and then decked himself.

I’m of a pretty different persuasion, I think, as I’m more interested in improving my game than racking up arbitrary wins. This is probably amplified by the fact that I think of jinteki.net as “practice” for more competitive environments.

With that said, conceding at the last second doesn’t have any bearing on that practice (but I’m also confused by the purpose – it would be just as quick to hit “no further actions” and let the win happen – hence my question). Conceding on turn 3 or 4 because you didn’t like some particular play does skew that practice (and it means a loss of time invested to get the match going, share congenial greetings, etc.). Obviously, I’m not interested in making someone play a game they don’t want to, but it does feel… juvenile to just bail. I groan when I see IG across from me and know I’m in for some grindy shenanigans, but I also know before I sit down that this is a real possibility I’m implicitly agreeing to play against.

1 Like

Playing a goofy horizontal NEH with Museum of History against an Apex on J-net. Apex makes the three central runs after having to play Prey the turn before to kill a Resistor with Eater. I have like 8 remotes and 3 ICE.

As click 3 ends, rez Hostile Infrastructure.

7 Likes

Will Apocalypse deal 11 net damage from Hostile Infrastructure? Or 1 if it’s trashed “first”? Or?

All damage is simultaneous (and your deus x is flipped over at the same time so cannot prevent it)

1 Like

Happened against me but was too hilarious not to share. Kate vs PE. Turn 1 mushin credit go. I sure gamble, throw down smc and run it, popping smc for deus x. It’s an overwriter. I draw a card. Turn 2 he mushin credit passes. I run it. Overwriter 2. Fastest game all store champ.

6 Likes

I lived an odd sort of dream once. Maybe it was a nightmare…

Turn 1 I run a Mushin’d remote installed by Cybernetics Division. Of course it was a Cerebral Overwriter. Later I hit an Ichi 1.0 and eat another Brain Damage – my hand size is now 0 for the rest of the game.

A 0 hand size was an oddly liberating experience. Every turn had a set rhythm of draw a card, decide if it is worth playing this turn or not, making a run, and getting credits or managing the board state with the last click. I managed to scrap together 7 points and win somehow! Like I said, some sort of nightmare that wound up less bad than it should have.

Interestingly, this helped me play better with Faust, since Faust similarly forces the runner to decide what cards are immediately important, and pitch anything else.

5 Likes

Ken against my HB Batty Gold. Mid Game, 8 Ices most of all rezzed, (3 bronze, 1 silver mother godess and a Turing. 15 Creds, adonis with caprice in remote. HQ, with mother, bronze and silver and a batty, the runner shiponed me, i don’t rez the batty. was first click, big mistake. Apocalypsed at the end og the turn.

But my hand was reclamation order, executive boot camp and archived memoires. 10 turns after, my board state was even better with 5 next rezzed, and Ken concedes after a try a shippon against a success batty gold of 5 trash cards and 5 trash programs.

2 Likes

You are the destined scion of the temple of the liberated mind.

So plying 2 hostile infrastructures against Edward Kim in IG is strangely rewarding. Doubly so when the person is playing Neutralize All Threats. What a wonderful game that was.

1 Like

Oh museum IG, your archives is oh so safe with that 10 credit tax into caprice.

Then Vamp happened.

Then Hades Shard Happened.

I accidentally all of your agendas. LAWL

14 Likes

I used Hades Shard to pull a real win out of a match going to time. I felt dirty, because my opponent was new and didn’t know there was no window for Jackson to rescue his agendas before I accessed his archives.

1 Like

More importantly, 10-counter pheromones! The hell?

4 Likes

My inner Johnny … is pretty much satisfied. Time to put this one to rest.

6 Likes

Power that vamp. Buahahahahaha.

Write-up is coming on this monster this weekend.

6 Likes

Behold my 1st turn runner win:
I was playing Reina, a self made deck, against HB. My opponent iced r&d + hq, and drew a card.
1click: run r&d, face into Eli. Decided to click both subs and grabbed Accelerated beta test
4 click: legwork ,and to my surprise: 2 priority requisitions.

1 Like