My Time Is Null (A Whistleblower's Thread)

Injection attack/atman?

1 Like

This is what I have settled on for testing.

What do you think?

Null the Conquerer

Null: Whistleblower (23 Seconds)

Event (16)
2x Career Fair (Breaker Bay) [color=#4169E1]●●[/color]
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
2x Injection Attack (23 Seconds)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (3)
1x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]☆●●[/color]
2x Grimoire (Core Set)

Resource (10)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
1x Ice Carver (Core Set)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Atman (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]●●●[/color]
2x Corroder (Core Set)
2x Mimic (Core Set)
2x Yog.0 (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]☆☆[/color]

Program (10)
2x D4v1d (The Spaces Between) [color=#FF4500]☆☆[/color]
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]☆☆☆[/color]
1x Trope (Old Hollywood)
7 influence spent (max 15-8☆=7, available 0)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to 23 Seconds

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

This is the exact breaker suite I ended up with. Aghora for Lotus Field is nice, frees up the Net-Ready Eyes influence, is vaguely relevant elsewhere. I’m trying my hardest to stuff 1x D4V1D in too but we’ll see, slots are tight and it feels like high-strength ICE shouldn’t be what I’m worried about with Null.

I don’t think Injection Attack is a playable card. Isn’t Null’s ability almost “any card in your grip can retroactively become Injection Attack during a run, once per turn” pretty much? I mean, Lotus Field is the only time that’s not true. Spending a credit, selecting an icebreaker ahead of time, & not working with Parasite all looks like a strict downgrade.

Its still valuecity vs sentries and mimic, and coming back in after a purge. Seems like a fine card to me.

Looks ripe for testing. Pull it off the vine and upload to jnet. I’m concerned a little with econ, but clicking for credits is a thing now.

1 Like

Isn’t Aghora better with BlacKat than with Corroder ?

I’m at a similar place with my build as a lot of people are.

All the Parasites You Can Eat

Null: Whistleblower (23 Seconds)

Event (11)

Hardware (5)

Resource (13)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (10)

6 influence spent (max 15-9☆=6, available 0)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to 23 Seconds

I’m not sold on Ice Carver as being a good card all of a sudden just because we’re on fixed breakers, as loads of pre-faust Anarch builds seemed to function just fine with fixed breakers without the need for the Carver. My Lotus solution is both YogReady Eyes and Faust. Faust just performs a regular AI breaker role here, not a final solution to all ICE, so I don’t think things like Levy are needed. I do like Faust over the second Yog, though, because the solution to most Code Gates for this deck is probably going to be Parasite. I’d like to fit a Bhagat or two in here, or some other kind of tricky thing, but I kinda feel like I need the rest of the cards more. I could probably go down to 2 Datasucker, maybe, to fit 1 card in, but that’s a pretty minor change.

1 Like

it won all three of my lunch games. The money is fine.

I know NRE/Ice Carver may seem like overkill, but Sandburg is a thing. It can help. At worst, you never install them and use them to use Null’s ability.

3 Likes

oh for crying out loud play at least one surge. If there ever was an ID to whip out the pledge and dust off the old thing now is the time. enjoy yourself! :wink:

6 Likes

I am still of the opinion that players are trying too hard by sleeving up Null for L4J builds. In many ways this ID is a crutch if being used for L4J: Null’s ability is not necessary with tight play, and you lose huge value by not being Val/Whizz/Kim in this meta. Personally I would play Kim L4J over Null right now, and Val over Kim. Whizz I think is in third place, since he’s a good Rebirth target for Val.

Just my two cents. Glad to see people experimenting with a new ID, but from someone with a lot of L4J experience, I don’t see the value of Null outweighing the competitors. With CVS likely to see a little less play in the coming months, The Need For Null (The Null for Speed?) becomes even further diminished. If this ID had come out during CVS heyday, it would have been better positioned, but IMO there are many factors removing the value from this ID right now, if you think it through and examine the meta overall.

3 Likes

His ID ability, in a vacuum at least, supports multiples of cards you only need one of. You get density so you can draw what you want, and the other copies still have value due to his ability.

4 Likes

I first read Injection Attack as giving +2 Strength to a piece of ICE. That would have made it terrible. However, +2 Strength to an Icebreaker is a different story. That’s super good with Yog and Mimic. I think it should be 3x in Null of you’re running the fixed breaker suite.

The thing is you already got parasites, suckers and some form of net-ready/ice carver/d4v1d/AI in the deck which covers basically everything. Add that to the usual problem of too many good Anarch cards and you’ll find it pretty hard to find room for even 1 Injection Attack, let alone all 3.

I use to run a couple copies when my troubleshooter card was knight, but after switching to Aghora with Ice Carvers I dropped them and never really looked back. I think a single copy would be fine though, since you usually got some flex slots, but it basically suffers from the 46th card syndrome.

3 Likes

Played Null at the reading regional this weekend. Finished 4th

6 Likes

Been experimenting with Dark Side Null myself, and it’s probably the way to go. CTM crumbles pretty hard if you can siphon them early and siphon them often.

Yup that’s what I did against a CTM in the cut. That and Wanton makes them pretty sad. Especially if they are on asset econ.

Any ideas on making a deck with Null, Wyrm, Ice Carver, and Parasite? What is the best splash to get out Parasites at instant speed - Personal Workshop, SMC, or Clone Chip?

So say you want to make a Null NFR/Mimic/Yog deck (just because). Suckers are in, obviously, but do you run Parasite? Clone Chip? Parasucker is awesome, of course, but a fixed rig like this intends to make runs cheap. Thats kind of a nonbo with Parasite.

Do you add cards like Masanori, Security Testing or Patron to increase the value of runs? Pheromones with Nerve Agent?

Desperado or Grimoire?

My thoughts:

Play Paperclip, not NFR. This has synergy with Inject which has synergy with CC and Parasite.

Suckers, play at least 2.

Play Parasite. It’s a good card made better by Null.

John Masanori seems okay in theory. Meta right now discourages early, risky runs which mitigates his downside.

CC seems more important than luxuries like Desperado, especially with added Parasite value in Null. I would say Anarch has plenty of cards to give runs added value without needing to splash 4 for each copy of Desperado. Honestly you would be better off to run Siphon than Desperado.

I don’t think Null needs D4.

Null still needs D4 for resistor and curtain wall, even with paperclip. At 7-9 credits, for curtain wall, it’s far too expensive to break through repeated times. I’d rather D4-knifed it. That being said, you probably only need 1 or 2.