NAPD Most Wanted List - *Update July 2016*

So does Jarvis still work exactly the same way it did before?

ok I guess we’ll just watch as the game fades into obscurity as people leave in droves instead. sounds like a better plan. No printing of counter cards was going to help this situation at least as fast as it needed to.

2 Likes

Wasn’t Anarch hit at least as hard as NBN Fast Advance? I see the hits to Dumblefork allowing glacier to start winning again, which is huge. In the LA regional, I saw players who had won Store Champs and made top 4s in regionals struggling to break .500 with glacier decks, which shows how far they fell this year. Netrunner without glacier is a sad thing for me.

Timmy’s SYNC deck should also still be great, Seamus’ Argus rush deck should still be great, kill decks are getting an interesting new option with Boom!.. I think the corp meta should be more varied and interesting than before.

4 Likes

I don’t think Dumblefork was single-handedly keeping Glacier down. There are a few new Glacier crushing decks around, and less people playing Anarch mean more playing Shaper, and they’ve never had an issue beating glacier in the late-game. I don’t see glacier as being much better off with these changes, just Anarch and NBN being significantly worse. Some say that’s a good thing; I don’t agree. Anarchs’ saturation wasn’t indicative of more strength than Shapers, IMO. As I’ve mentioned before, I see no functional difference between Dumblefork melting your ICE in the late-game to Medium dig, and Shapers walking through your ICE for a few credits to access 3 or 4 cards with RDI/TME.

5 Likes

The fast decks do need to exist in some fashion to keep super late game runner in check it is true. I do think there might be room for those decks to exist without 3x astroscript, not sure though as I’m bad at deck building. I understand the concerns though I do hope it all works out in the end.

As for now I’m just excited about big shake ups… im excited about a fresh new meta and Im excited that others are excited to play… we will see how it goes.

The thing Im most worried about is nothing came off(other than astro which , not sure if it counts). Nothing coming off is really weird… are we going to see nothing come off next time as well. A super long constantly growing MWL list is gonna be really awkward. The next update is really going to mean a lot for the game imo.

11 Likes

If there had been fewer than 6 months since the last MWL, I might be more excited. This could possibly be the meta until after Worlds, which worries me.

1 Like

Fast decks (i.e. the “rush” tactic) aren’t the same as fast advance as an agenda-scoring tactic. It’s a cornerstone of NBN to be the fast advance faction. Astroscript Pilot Program enabled fast advance as a scoring tactic, but also a fast, rush-style game.

Instead of errata-ing to one per deck, an errata to make it a 3/1 would have retained the fast advance aspect without making it also a “rushy” card (you’d need to use that fast advance potential from APP to score other agendas, and more agendas in total). Would have been more interesting, but there seems to be a philosophy that functional errata for cards are fine, but only in ways related to deckbuilding and not actual play. When the perceived problems trying to be solved are issues with how cards play. Oh well.

2 Likes

There will still be good NBN and Anarch decks, it’s just that their most popular varieties (Dumblefork and NBN FA) took a hit. NBN is going to be more of a tag punishment faction than a FA faction, which will cause more people to move from NEH to Making News, SYNC, Controlling the Message, Harishchandra, etc. There will be much more variety in the NBN IDs played. And I’m really looking forward to making an anarch deck with Null and fixed strength breakers.

I certainly don’t want everyone to be able to play super slow decks without any risk, but I think some people will still play NEH FA, plus there’s HB FA and Argus rush to keep them in check.

3 Likes

I hate functional errata even more than increasing the RNG in the game by doing Limit 1 per Deck cards. If card is broken to the point of that, BAN it.

I would prefer bans or restrictions to MWL, honestly. And not limiting the number of cards played, but other LCG style restrictions that allow you to do a full playset of one card on the list.

6 Likes

i’m actually fully on board with every MWL change

as for the new errata, i’m unsure how i feel about Astroscript, but i’m on board with everything else.

yes. they were just clarifying. honestly, i think if anyone reads the Netrunner Geeks facebook page, you’ll understand why a lot of these blue texts exist in the FAQs… they’re rather silly arguments that crop up every now and then, with many people explaining how and why a card works, and a few people just completely arguing against them that they’re wrong (but also admitting that they have no idea how it works)

2 Likes

This is wrong, I think.

The infinite Rework is how they avoid losing to Legwork. Now they can’t just commit a bunch of Hives and Tour Guides to R&D knowing that’s the only central with any agendas in it.

3 Likes

It’s not nearly as degenerate, but you still have shuffling and Brainstorming MtG style with MCH+Heritage which means hand-sculpting is still possible. I may be missing something, but is Heritage still really all that dead?

I think the idea here is that the corp has to be careful when they put an agenda on top to shuffle back in. If the runner can check with relative consistency, then the agendas will either pile up in HQ, or the runner will just win (or get quite close to it, at any rate).

Edit: OR they’ll just be lucksacks and never draw their agendas.

But if you put an agenda back you can just shuffle next click by firing MCH again. Sure, you’re going to have more agendas in hand on average, as it’s not nearly as degenerate, but you still have the Brainstorm+Fetchland effect.

4 Likes

A significant portion of the time, your going to heritage and pick up two more agendas, especially with how dense R&D can get in museum decks. Before they could look and install another museum or something when that would happen. Now its a gamble every time.

Not saying it’s not a gamble, but if you repeat good bets, you’re still favoured in the long run. Drawing 2 agendas would mean that your R&D is 2/3 agendas. Now I understand that R&D cannot grow via Museum alone, but I still think that sort of density is unlikely.

What I’m saying is the effect is still partially preserved (and possibly playable), it’s just no longer bah-roken like it was before.

I am in favor of the changes, As I mentioned in the top cut results thread, it seems not ideal for NEH and Whizzard to account for such a large proportion of the top cut decks.

Indeed, not every change may be perfect to everyone, but at least they are trying to make adjustments based on the results, which is encouraging. After all, just as “mistaken” cards can be balanced out this way, so too the list itself can be adjusted down the line.

5 Likes

RE: Altering card values vs MWL

Changing the numbers you can play of a card is one thing, but when you have to make adjustments to the way a card reas (not just syntax clarification) then you’re making things even more complicated.

As for these changes, I’ve not played in any tournaments yet (because I live in a remote Japanese fishing town), but from what I’ve heard on podcasts and the like that certain cards have limited narrowed down viable choices on what should be a game with a lot of creative variety. Experimenting with interesting ideas and seeing how far you can go with them should be at the core of this game, and I think this removing of some of the long-term staple designs will be healthy for it.

10 Likes

If you begin the turn with 45 cards in R&D and one agenda in HQ and you have 8 agendas in 54, mandatory draw + Heritage is about 50/50 to draw one or more agendas, leaving you exactly where you started or worse. Once R&D get down to 35 cards, you’re above 60% to draw one or more agendas.

Pre-FAQ, you’re almost guaranteed to be able to remove a single agenda from HQ, but now you start having to play Heritage multiple turns in a row, shrinking R&D every time.

1 Like

Congrats to all David and Wyldside whinners here on Stimhack.

Now I’m gonna play Blackmail.

5 Likes