Netrunner Sealed

I just saw that the guys over at http://run4games.com/ have launched a free online tool to generate sealed packs : http://www.anrsealed.com/

For those who don’t know the sealed format it’s similar to draft in the sense that you get a limited pool of cards from which you have to cobble up a couple of decks on the fly. The main difference is that you don’t actually get to pick those cards in a draft, you just get a starter pack of 120 cards (60 runner / 60 corp) and 3 packs of 16 and you have to make two decks of minimum 45 cards each out of those. As for the draft your identity is blank and you’re not limited by influence.

The big plus for me of this format over draft is that it takes a lot less time. Instead of having to create (or buy) the individual packs then draft them then build your two decks then play, you cut out the first two steps and spend your time only on deck construction and playing. tbh I can’t be bothered to take the time to set up a draft. I’m looking forward to trying sealed! Has anyone else tried it before?

6 Likes

Very interesting tool. I love the idea of having ANR booster packs with card rarities and such.

I can’t help but think, though, that something is lost in the conversion process when your sealed packs are printed out lines of text instead of actually opening booster packs. Could still be interesting, though. It is probably faster than draft, sure, but wouldn’t it necessitate everyone bringing their entire collection and manually searching out their card for their card pool? That also sort of seems like a hassle.

I am of the opinion that cube drafting is the way to go with Netrunner (in terms of alternatives to constructed). Just shuffle up, pull out stacks of 40 for each side and each player, and draft. Then when you’re done, shuffle them all back together and put them in the box. It’s small and portable, too, and only requires people to bring their own tokens.

EDIT: I’d be curious if there was a way to do “cube sealed” somehow, by assigning rarity to cards and defining that each pack got X commons, Y uncommons, and Z rares, then shuffle up each set and deal out packs with the the correct number of each rarity of card.

4 Likes

I think one of the ideas here is you could generate the lists in advance- email them out and then you are ready to play at rift at the start of the tournament.

Hello everyone,

We launched a new website named anrsealed.com to play Android Netrunner in Sealed format. All the information are on the website. If you have any question or see any bug, please email me or post your issue here.

Thank you for reading, and let the Sealed begin !

“Not enough cards (0 to 2 Starters. 0 to 10 Base Set, Spin or Lunar Boosters. 0 to 4 SanSan Boosters”

Why can’t I do 8-booster SanSan Sealed, if I can do 8-booster Lunar Sealed? Doesn’t really make sense to me.

1 Like

Hi and thank you for testing anrsealed.com !

There are not enough COMMON Corp cards in SanSan. The rarities will be adjusted, but for the moment we are working and focusing on the Base Set.

• Please use only Base Set Starter and Boosters if you want the last adjusted rarities.
  • Or use the common format that is 1 Base Set Starter and 3 SanSan Boosters. (The numbers to fill are “for each player”, not for all players).

Hello,

After several months I have updated www.anrsealed.com in version 2.0 ! It allows you to generate Sealed Packs and play Android: Netrunner in Sealed format with the following changes:

• Big refactoring of the site
  • Replace rarities by a number of copies of each card.
  • Remove Starters and Boosters. Replace them by allowing the choice of each Data Pack.
  • Add 2 formats:
    • 80 cards per Sealed Pack (45 cards per deck / 7 Agenda points to win)
    • 60 cards per Sealed Pack (30 cards per deck / 6 Agenda points to win)
  • Allow collection sharing (One player shares its collection with the others players).
  • Add a text file sorted by faction and card type in the downloaded zip file.
  • Add a text file sorted by Data Pack in the downloaded zip file.
  • Add Mumba Cycle.

Post your comments and your questions about this tool here. Thank’s for your help !

1 Like

Do you have an API? That would be cool :wink:

I have no API. I don’t know how to make it (I am a C/C++ embedded programmer). Do you want an API to use on Jinteki.net ? Do you have a good link where I can learn to make it ? (anrsealed.com is coded with bootstrap and Javascript).

We’re already planning to integrate netrunnerdb more so you can use your netrunnerdb decks directly on jinteki.net.

I think it would be cool to create sealed decks on jinteki.net so you have some alternative ways to play netrunner, which I really want to see.

A lot of people want drafting, but that’s tricky to implement. The advantage of sealed IMHO is that each player just get their bunch of cards and creates a deck, while while drafting all players have to be online at the same time and wait for others to make their next pick.

Is everything on anrsealed.com done in the frontend only?

Yes it would be great if we can easily play Sealed on Jinteki.net. All is done (generation and download) at client side on anrsealed.com. There is nothing done on server side. The host server is just a free 10Mo host account given with the domain name by OVH.

Here are the sources on Github : GitHub - Salem2612/anrsealed: Repository of the anrsealed.com website. anrsealed.com allow to play Android: Netrunner in Sealed format.

I’m new to this concept, but very intrigued. Once I select packs and generate the sealed lists, what’s next? Does each player look at the list as a whole and select, or is there an additional step of dividing that list into “boosters”? Appreciate the advice; I really want to try this.

my understanding is its effectively how Original Netrunner / CCGs worked

Each player simply builds a 45 cards deck with the 80 cards of his list.

Super neat! Love how easy it is to get the card lists ordered in many different ways too for easy fetching. Might have to try it out for some games one day if I have the time.

I’d like to be able to do this using the standard ANR IDs, i.e. Noise, Kate, Weyland BWBI, Black Tree, etc… In order for this to work the player or card pool generator would need to choose one corp and one runner faction and then the card pool generator would need to generate cards that are predominately of those factions or neutral. Would this be possible Salem?

I’m glad that someone is doing this btw. I tried it a while ago with the physical cards and it was good but massively time consuming.

Hello, the version v2.1 of anrsealed.com is now available. The main changes are:

• Fix Sage, Chameleon and Rainbow that were automatically picked.
  • Add The Liberated Mind.
  • Add Fear the Masses.
  • Add 23 Seconds.
  • Add categories (BAD, COMMON, BROKEN for weak, ordinary and strong cards. DIRTY for savage cards.)
  • Pick 85 cards per Sealed Pack for the format 45 cards per deck / 7 agenda points.
  • Pick 57 cards per Sealed Pack for the format 30 cards per deck / 6 agenda points.

Enjoy your Sealed games !

1 Like

Thinking about running an event for this. I have some questions:

• Does the newest system use any sort of starters, or are you limited to only your sealed pool?

• Do you recommend generating and distributing pools prior to the event, or telling people to bring their collections first and generating pools at the event, and putting a time limit on deckbuilding? The former sounds easier, but the latter sounds more fun, though possibly a bit of a hassle.

• Is 45/7pt the preferred format for this? Traditionally, sealed decks in MTG use smaller draft-size decks, which would be 30/6pt in Netrunner.

• Does the algorithm work basically the same if I generated 2 sets of 2-person pools vs 1 set of 4-person pools? Say I’m running an event and 8 people show up, so I generate 8 pools, then someone comes late – can I generate 1 extra pool separate from the original 8 and expect it to be balanced just the same, or were the first 8 all specifically generated to be balanced against each other?

• Do you think that if some pools are generated against the full set of cards, and others are generated only against a smaller card pool (e.g. 1 core, first two cycles and big boxes), that the pools generated from the larger card set would be better than the pools generated from the smaller set? For example, if a newer player didn’t have a full collection to pull from, do you think it would still work out if a pool was generated from their limited set while other pools were generated from the full set?

I’m glad about your idea.

• There are no Starter and Booster as in the V1. In this V2, you choose your boxes, set some settings, generate and build with only the Sealed Pools in the ZIP file. There are no fixed cards. There is no Starter as in the FFG Draft format. The algorithm of anrsealed takes care of giving enough agenda points, money, ices and breakers in each pool.
  • I don’t know what is better between generating and distributing pools before or during the event. Here are the pros and cons about generating during the event:
  • Pro: You can explain the building rules while the players build.
  • Pro: It should be fun to discover and build together.
  • Pro: The players that have not all the cards could borrow (take ? loan ? I don’t know the right word) the missing cards to other players.
  • Con: You have to give their pool to each player. Generate and print the pools before ? Generate and print during the event if you have a computer and a printer ? Generate during, send emails and they read on their phone (not all players have mail on their phone) ?
  • Con: It takes time to generate, distribute, build and sleeve during an event instead of coming with the prepared decks and just playing. I made this format to build fast and play. I don’t like the Draft format because it takes time to draft and build instead of playing during an ANR night party. But if you have time, it could be fun.
  • Con: The players have to bring their entire collection ! All these cards are heavy ^^
  • 45/7pt is the preferred format because it is mine, but feel free to play in 30/6pt by setting it before generating to speed up the games. The algorithm consequently adapts the number of cards.
  • When each player plays with its own cards, the pools are independently generated. So it is the same to generate 2 sets of 2 pools, or 1 set of 4 pools. If another player comes, just generate 1 set for 1 player for him.
  • If the players have not the same boxes I think the games will still work. Just ensure that anrsealed can generate a pool for the player that has the smaller collection (e.g. 1 Core set + all deluxes are not enough. 1 Core set + all deluxes + Genesis is enough.)

Don’t hesitate if you have other questions.

Can the stimhack cube list be one of the choices for cardpool?