[New Angeles Sol] The Art of Trolling

For those about to troll…

Today I built a New Angeles Sol deck that I would love to share with you. It is interesting - to say the least. I certainly need to test more, but I find the concept more than appealing plus it can build the weirdest scoring server ever. But let’s begin with the list:

The Art of Trolling

New Angeles Sol: Your News (Data and Destiny)

Agenda (9)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
3x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny)•••
2x Project Beale (Future Proof)
1x 15 Minutes (Data and Destiny)

Asset (5)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
2x Melange Mining Corp. (Core Set)

Upgrade (4)
2x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) ••••
2x Keegan Lane (Data and Destiny)

Operation (12)
1x Closed Accounts (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Psychographics (Core Set)
3x Surveillance Sweep (Data and Destiny)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (2)
2x Resistor (Data and Destiny)

Code Gate (4)
3x Archangel (Data and Destiny)
1x Viper (Cyber Exodus)

Sentry (13)
2x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) ••••
3x Data Raven (Core Set)
1x Information Overload (The Spaces Between)
3x News Hound (Data and Destiny)
1x Shinobi (Double Time) •••
3x Troll (The Source)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Let’s begin with how you want to score agendas: If your opponent floats tags, Psychographics is the obvious choice. You usually score in a remote, though. And that remote is weird. It consists of two Trolls (maybe some stuff in addition) and an Ash. Plus you can even have slightly less credits than your opponent. What basically happens is that your opponent runs the remote and has to encounter Troll. As he has to trace first (Surveillance Sweep), he loses a click. The same happens on the second Troll. The runner then loses the trace on Ash and has one more Click to try to get in. So he has to run, but now Trolls stop him because he cannot lose a Click anymore such that the run ends. What?! Rez cost of that remote including Ash is 4 ridiculous credits. Someone please do the math on how many Credits you need if everything is unrezzed and you want to have 3 more credits at the end to score out the agenda. It’s too late over here…

Apart from bypass effects there is nothing that the Runner can do to prevent the score in that server…
Your other ICE goes on the centrals. Data Raven usually is a great deterrent for runs, particularly when the subroutine cannot be broken by the runner. News Hound is great. As is Caduceus. Do I need to say anything about Archangel? Viper gets actual teeth due to Surveillance Sweep. Resistor is a great tax. Shinobi can outright kill a careless Runner and Information Overload punishes tag floaters brutally. Also, it has a nasty on-encounter trace that suddenly is super annoying for the runner…

Your ICE is mostly cheap and thanks to Surveillance Sweep you never overcommit to traces (unlike the runner). However, there is not too much end-the-run, thats why the agendas are chosen to be less effectful for the runner. Three Global Food Initiatives mean less points available, as does 15 minutes. You can still ride the Astrotrain and when you have that weird scoring remote, overadvancing Project Beale is a great option.

Three Jacksons are the usual staple, Melange Mining Corp. is the asset economy that fits this deck best, I feel. Ash is an all-star and Keegan Lane can secure your centrals nicely. Finally, Sweeps Week and Hedge Fund are the operation eco package. A singleton Closed Accounts can create the scoring window you may need at the end of the game. Or you just punish those pesky tag-floating Criminals even more.

So, that’s about it. The games with this deck feel super weird, but not in a bad way. It is just so different. The ICE is taxing and tag-floating punished by Psychographics and Information Overload. Any more ideas and feedback are much appreciated :smile:

8 Likes

Shouldn’t this be in New Angeles Sol ?

1 Like

Maybe. But the other post appeared to be more about general thoughts about the ID. This is a specific decklist.

I think the general notion is to keep decklists in the untested/non-competitive thread if they’re nascent, or to have them in a general archetype thread if the archetype is still being worked on.

5 Likes

Just after looking for a second, Architect is way better than Caduceus in any build with Keegan Lane. 2x Ichi over Shinobi/Viper fits much better with Troll/Keegan as well. I like it though!

3 Likes

Hey @Marsellus another cool deck idea. I like it, though finding the Trolls may be tough.

One worry I would have is that it is probably too low on money. You don’t need a lot of money but you still want to have a comparable amount with the runner. I guess Melanges may do it for you, but that’s still only 8 money cards, which is pretty marginal, especially when two of them could easily be trashed.

For the money reason I actually like the Caduceus’s. With surveillance sweep they may be able to make you some cash.

1 Like

Architects seem nice, didnt think about them yet. Good call. That deck still needs some testing - and Ichis certainly are nice.
Particularly as they have a nice trace on them :smiley:

Keegan into Ichi is a rig-trashing wonderland. Do not be afraid of trying Ichi in the first draft of every deck you ever build. It’s usually right.

3 Likes

Hey! I like trolling!

8 Likes

@cspieker is definitely right - needs moar moneys. It’s worth remembering that you have to spend 2 credits every time the runner steals an agenda to get Surveillance Sweep back up, which can add up. Also, before you draw Sweep you may have to overcommit on Traces, which is not ideal. I’d potentially consider 1-2x Targeted Marketing here because a) it’s kind of economy, b) it gives you another way to get the ETR on your News Hounds in the event you draw it before Sweep, and c) it allows you to get at least a little value out of your ID on those occasions when they steal and you can’t afford to play Sweep. I’d also add more real money though, maybe Marked Accounts or similar.

TMI would be nice in this one, I guess.

Alright, after having slept over it, I really really like both Ichi and Architect from a theorectical point of view. I still think though, that Caduceus is awesome as well. In particular, it has an ETR-subroutine, which neither of the above have. But swapping out Viper and Shinobi for one each of Ichi 1.0 and Architect is good.
@CobraBubbles Why do you think it does? Up to now, I didn’t have any problems money wise. Your ICE has a great
cost-to-tax ratio and even when you don’t have your Surveillance Sweep online early, you don’t have to overcommit. Archangels trace is still enormous.
Sure, the deck isn’t super rich either, but as of now it worked very well :smile:

Dat boardstate…

3 Likes

I just realised Jinteki lays the board out Archives/R&D/HQ/Remotes, while OCTGN goes Remotes/HQ/R&D/Archives (which is how I play on the table). No wonder it confuses the hell out of me when I try to play.

3 Likes

@dragar: @db0 or @mtgred may be left-handed :slight_smile:

I like to think that their side of the table contains 7 agenda points :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

@groober: nah, it was 4-0 and the remote had a GFI which was scored by triple advance and double astro :smile:

Have you thought about Rutherford Grid at all?

Not yet. But once I get the Surveillance Sweep going, I win 90% of traces anyway.
However, your post made me think about Midway Station Grid such that the cost of breaking
ICE is increased such that traces are more likely to occur. Breaking News Hound for 4 with Atman
is a huge tax… Crescentus also becomes either a 4 cred tax or alternatively you get 3 credits everytime.
And I don’t wanna start with Information Overlaod :smiley:

Fair enough, if you’ve found that it works for you then I stand corrected. Personally I’ve found that having to pay to reply your current on every steal can make Sol’s economy a bit shaky, but I’m happy to be proved wrong in this case :slight_smile:

1 Like