New Player Help MegaThread

Information is good, especially if you’re running limited-use multiaccess, like Legwork or The Turning Wheel. You can save the multiaccess for when you actually see an agenda (or something you really want to trash) in HQ.

I’m not sure if Enhanced Vision is worth it if you’re running many times in one turn and then not running on other turns, but if you’re already running a server other than HQ* for economy at least once every turn (Desperado, Security Testing, Temujin Contract, John Masanori, etc.), then it gives you more value from that first run. It sounds like it’s worth a shot to see how it works for you.

*EDIT: Or if you’re running HQ with replacement effects, like Account Siphon, to see if it’s worth making a second run.

Hi, I’m a new ANR player and I’m looking for a local group in the Syracuse / CNY region. Does anyone know of any groups up here? I located a supposed one but it didn’t seem to be active… Thanks in advance

Maybe try the Netrunner Reddit? They post a “find a player” thread every Saturday. And if you look up the last one, it will have instructions for how to search the find a player threads.

Timing Window question. Is the following correct?

I’m playing Spark. I put down three PAD campaigns during my turn.

I can rez one at the the paid window before my turn tends (3.2).

I can rez a second one during a window in my opponent’s turn.

I can rez the third in the paid window right before my turn starts (step 1.1) and still draw from it in step 1.2.

By doing this, I ping him for 3 credits from Spark’s ID and also still get to draw from all three PAD campaigns in step 1.2 of my second turn.

Do I have that right?

Yes, that’s correct since there are 3 turns in that sequence (your turn, runner’s turn, your turn). Keep in mind if you do this you can’t ping them again at the end of your next turn, since you already used your ability at the beginning of your turn.

If you’re ever curious, the timing structure of a turn on ANCUR is a great resource. Here you’re rezzing the third PAD campaign in step 1.1, and getting the credits (not draw, assuming that’s a typo) from all the PADs in step 1.2.

1 Like

Does anyone know where I can find a good explanation of the epistemology behind the names of deck arch types? Some of them make sense, like the use of the word ‘Cutlery’ for cards like spooned, forked and knifed. But mostly I don’t get it, but would love to.

Sometimes it has to do with the deck and cards in it, sometimes it’s simply what someone had for dinner when they designed the deck. Other times the community thrusts a name on a deck.

Example: the HB archetype Foodcoats started when @Nordrunner created a heavily taxing HB deck, calling it The Redcoats, after the heavy taxation the English imposed upon the American colonies. That archetype fell out of favor, but was reborn when Global Food Initiative (GFI) was printed, as it gave the deck a viable 3-point agenda to run. Because of the GFI, people started calling it Foodcoats.

If there’s any specific archetype names you were curious about, ask away! Otherwise covering them all would take pretty much forever.

Edit: Oh yeah, the thread you linked to =P So the Wyldcakes archetype is named so from the inclusion of the cards Wyldside (wyld, obviously) and the card Adjusted Chronotype. The Cakes part is derived from the flipping of pancakes on the Adjusted Chronotype art, and the card itself is often referred to as “pancakes.” @Chill84 was “reclaiming” the name into CakeBoss partially because of the TV show and partially because he’s a silly bastard.

1 Like

Thank you @Sean for the detailed explanation! May I take the liberty of tagging you when I have these kind of questions?

Thanks Sean!
OneFabric

Sure, but make sure to spell Saan correctly :wink:

1 Like

@Saan …Sorry about that! Will do :smiley:

Hello, I’m relatively new to netrunner and I’m struggling to find local England players, I live in Colchester Essex and it seems I’m over an hours train journey away from the nearest game centre that promotes Netrunner days.
If anyone could help me find some players that would be great.

Newer player here looking to start playing on the local scene. I’m pretty stuck on what decks to play, especially on the corp side. I have a Core, Creation and Control, 2015 World Champion Corp deck, and a few random data packs. I have an Atman+Kate deck that I’ve been enjoying playing that I’ll bring, recognizing it’s not a strong meta call. But beyond the Foodcoats/HB Glacier deck of the 2015 champion deck (which is no longer legal), I don’t know what to play. Modify the foodcoats deck to make it MWL legal?

Given your card pool, modifying food coats is likely your strongest option. There was an article on stimhack not too long ago that might interest you:

World Champion on a Budget

2 Likes

I am sure this has been asked before several times, my apologies, but who wins if the runner is running on archives which contains an Obokata Protocol and a “Shock!” with only 4 cards in hand and the runner chooses to take the Obokata Protocol?

Does he have the opportunity to choose to interact with the agenda first thus win the game and “avoid” the “Shock!” or does he have to take the “Shock!” first? Does placement in the Archives matter in this case and at all?

I am guessing the best option is to leave the Obokata, take the “Shock!” damage and come back with 5 cards in Hand, but I was curious what happens in a situation when the runner would steal the last agenda point and die to damage in the same run, who would win?

My understanding is that when a Runner has a successful run on Archives, they can choose the order in which they access cards, therefore if they ran with 4 cards in their Grip, they could access the Obokata Protocol first (provided they knew which card it was, either because it somehow went into Archives face up, or it is the only face down card in archives for example), pay the additional cost of 4 net damage to steal it, thus winning the game. They would not then need to access the Shock! (which would kill them), as the game is already over and won by the Runner.

2 Likes

Yes, this is correct. The runner chooses which order to access cards in Archives, and the game ends immediately once one player hits 7 points, so Shock! never happens.

(As an interesting aside, I believe the latter is a change from the original 90s Netrunner, where the game was only won once the run was over, so the runner needed to survive.)

3 Likes

Thank you both! :slight_smile:

I think that the old version (the runner needs to complete the run) is more thematic, but I guess the runner has a slight handicap anyway (most of the time, I mean during most of the past metas) so this balances it out a little bit.

All cards in Archives are turned face up before the Runner decides what order to access them in, so they don’t need to know anything about the Obokata in advance.

Ah yes, I see in the FAQ now:

Accessing Archives
When accessing cards in Archives, the Runner turns all cards faceup in Archives before accessing them. Then he or she accesses and resolves individual cards one by one, in any order he or she wants.

New player, overwhelmed on what to buy.

I was a huge fan of the late 90’s original and finally picked up a core set. After a fair amount of games, it feels like the games don’t play as well as they could or as richly as I expected having played so much of the original.

I imagine that buying some more cards and referring to the new list of banned and restricted cards. However, it feels ludacris to have to spend 700 dollars just so my wife and I can play a game card game with the complete sets. On the other hand, we are both hardcore, competitive game nerds (on and off mid-stakes poker pros over the years, Magic local champ in jr. high, ect) and it feels like we aren’t going to have the rich depth of play with anything less than a full set.

The angst of loving a game but being sort of feeling insulted at the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for a stack of plastic playing cards has always been hard to resolve.

Say, if I just wanted skill-heavy, good games between the two of us, is there any middle ground between a 30 dollar investment and a 350 dollars (or more) investment?

thanks a lot.