[Noise] Welcome (back) to the Church

So has anyone tried Making an Entrance in Noise? I found I didn’t like it at all, but maybe you good folks have had a different experience. It seems like a worse Inject in Noise, especially because you can only play it first click, which makes it useless when you have Wyldside but no Chrono. Meh.

You can still play priority events with Wyldside can’t you?

2 Likes

Yeah you can, losing a click doesn’t count as spending a click. It removes it from your total available pool.

3 Likes

This pretty much is my experience.

I’d probably describe it as a ‘better Rolodex, in Anarch’, but sure.

(Seriously FFG, stop printing better Criminal cards in Anarch for while!)

I’m trying out Making an Entrance in Noise, I’m liking it so far. Many times when I see people use Making an entrance, they don’t trash any cards. Inject and Street Peddler both trash cards, while offering an economic advantage.

As far as I can tell, the best advantage that Making an Entrance offers is the choice of what cards to keep or trash, including trashing all 6 if the card you need (Aesops, Wyldside) aren’t coming up. I play with a Levy, so I’m not afraid to burn my stack to get setup, and reset with Levy.

I’ve tried Making an Entrance and it was… fine. Ultimately, I found that having to spend clicks on drawing for the card that you wanted next (even allowing for trashing and re-arranging) felt slow. I’ll take that speed setting up my engine over being able to dig for a D4/ breaker with Making an Entrance any day.

That said, Inject does become a dead card once you are set up.

Noise uses a variety of draw cards that are generally dead once he is set up: Inject, Making an Entrance, Street Peddler, and I’ve Had Worse.

Of these, I’ve Had Worse has the most obvious utility for flatline-prevention, while Street Peddler can provide an instant-speed install that may or may not be relevant (or at least threaten one).

The purpose of these cards is to get you set up quickly. After that, all of these cards become much less useful.

IHW and Faust together are pretty good against Komainu, since you can break all the subs but one with Faust and then let the last damage hit IHW so you don’t risk losing any of the new cards.

1 Like

So I have been working on Geist recently but I wanted to know. Have people moved away from Noise?

are people having competitive success with him? its like he disappeared after the initial museum sky fall.

I’ve been playing him, but only because he’s the runner I have most experience with. Otherwise, I think the current meta is pretty bad for him.

His matchup against IG is awful (like, probably under 25%) and while I haven’t played against the Hot Tubs deck much, I imagine it’s similarly bad.
Palana glacier is also harder for him than EtF glacier ever was, because they have more hard stops early (both Ice and Caprice) and can rush to 4 points before you find Faust - by which point the game is pretty much over if one of those agendas was Nisei.
On the bright side, NBN is OK. Although Sensie made it better for them, I’d say it’s still probably about 50/50. The matchup is generally about whether they can trash your engine with Breaking News before you can Clot lock them to oblivion.

If you want to stick with him I’d say you need more money than you used to - in this asset-heavy meta you need to be able to trash resources with actual money as well as Imp in order to keep the corp down early. I cut a Lamprey and Sucker to fit more money, as neither does too much against the majority of decks right now.

4 Likes

I’m moving away from Noise these past few weeks. SYNC EoI is a bad matchup, as is NBN FA in general. I slotted AI a long time ago, so IG was less of an issue for me, but I didn’t find much success against Hot Tubs.

Archives Interface was a really helpful include for my deck, since it does a lot of work to neuter Jeeves-FA decks by taking out Subliminal Messaging. Without subliminal, it is much harder to trigger the Jeeves combo. Also farming Datasuckers is nice.

2 Likes

I’d still been playing Noise heavily with good success, but with new MWL, that deck is deeaaaaad.

I disagree, you lose your LARLA and slot back Crypsis. Donesies.

Couple of tropes can be a good replacement for LARLA.

1 Like

Yep, and you get to put in some econ to replace D4. All considered, its certainly not ‘dead’, imo, quite buffed since asset spam has been nerfed beyond recognition, corps will worry less about connections.

It feels like it’s back to ‘mill hard’ again, which I quite like, and IG isn’t a disgusting matchup anymore.

1 Like

And maybe it is time to #unslottheclot

Not with Jeeves about, IMO, but much closer to it.

With the new MWL, most current lists lose 7 influence: 2 x Faust, 2 x David and 3 x Wyldside. Taking out LARLA still leaves 4, and if you take out both David and Faust, Crypsis (and Corroder if you put it in) have a lot of work to do. Knight may be able to help a bit, but economy will be a problem and Noise is notoriously poor. More economy cards will have to come from somewhere as Cache, Pawnshop and Scheherazade cannot carry the load alone.

Plus, without LARLA, Wyldside + Inject + Peddler will get you decked pretty quickly. I’ve run Trope before, but unless you get one early, I find that you stall out quite early.

Apologies, I should have been clearer: I didn’t mean all Noise decks are dead, just the current popular iterations (e.g. BigBoy Noise) are. With the sorts of changes that need to be made, it starts to look like a completly different deck.

2 Likes

All your stuff becomes econ. It’s just old-school Noise. Remember when we had to choose to sell Wyldside when we had 10 cards left?

Cyberfeeders, Daily Casts, and pinpoint Crypsis runs. It’s hard mode, but it’s not like it’s any different to many, many iterations we went through since core. I was never sold on inject though, and BigBoy Noise was practical and strong, but ‘ungraceful’ and ‘easy’ in my opinion. It attempted quite succesfully to mitigate against early remote pressure with Faust, which it did, no doubt. But Noise historically has always had that weakness, it’s not like he’s suddenly dead because he has it again.

FWIW, Old School poor boy Noise will still win tourneys, no doubt in my mind. Without sounding ranty, I don’t expect anybody to find a different, better econ/draw engine and for it to be something we missed, and because of that, Faust and D4 have to go. Fixed strength could be an option as well, but when it was, Crypsis was always better. This deck never felt dead to me. Ever. It always felt like it had solutions and game.

Until MoH asset spam. Now that is by and large gone.

1 Like