Official Rules Question Thread

By that same argument, the first time Tori fires, there is no net damage. Hence the next time there would be net damage, Tori fires.

Or Muresh, for that matter. It prevents the first meat damage per turn. But since it prevents it there never was any meat damage, so it prevents the next, too.

5 Likes

What enables a trash cost to be paid?

Core Rules page 18
Trashing Cards
If the Runner accesses a card with a trash cost, he may pay
credits equal to its trash cost in order to trash it to Archives
faceup.

The trash cost can only be paid by invoking the runner’s ability to trash a card by paying its trash cost. Paying to trash a card is trashing a card, there is no separation between those events.

1 Like

Besides which, we know from Tori that the thing being replaced, if it counts for ‘first time’ triggers, has happened for those triggers and cannot happen again.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe that between the core rules, and the Tori FAQ ruling, the CtM v Slums interaction is established in the official rules and doesn’t require an official ruling/FAQ entry/addendum.

I won’t say it is intuitive, as I argued over this point myself in this very thread, but @jakodrako explained it to me and I do now see the logic behind it. Sometimes it can be a little embarrassing to have things pointed out from the rule book that I didn’t think was there (hence I know exactly where the trashing rule comes from), but I am certainly a better informed player for it.

2 Likes

Everyone should strive to have a better mental model of the game, especially TOs. I don’t know why some people are resisting that and find it embarassing to learn something new. That’s not embarassing, it’s fucking awesome.

9 Likes

Sees CtM/Slums interaction questions again
… AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

runs away, still screaming wildly

WE MADE A TOPIC FOR THIS, DANGIT
(In fact, here it is: Salsette/CtM Discussion Thread )

9 Likes

Don’t look back. It’ll probably come up again after French nationals, apparently. Lol. Just keep running.

5 Likes

Little known fact; it was contemplating this very situation that broke Adam.

2 Likes

Unrelated question to CtM and salsette (thank gosh). It’s the runners turn and there is an active employee strike. The corp ID is replicating perfection. click 1 runner runs on archives (or any central, doesn’t matter). Click 2, runner installs a different current, trashing the employee strike. Can the runner run a remote server for click 3? Since the ID was blank, RP was not looking for a run on a central during the first click and would not have seen it for when it is active I would think, similar to how Jeeves only counts actions taken after it was rezzed.

1 Like

You can run a remote without another central run. Just like how if a runner spends a click to draw Symmetrical Visage and then installs Symmetrical Visage, they will not get the 1 credit from the next click to draw action that turn. The game remembers the ‘first time X happens’ and the card effectively asks the game if a particular condition has occurred (not as unrelated to CtM and Salsette as you thought).

As to why Jeeves does not work this way…anyone?

That’s correct, the text was blank so it hasn’t yet triggered that turn. RP says “whenever”, which means it is a conditional triggered ability. You will have to run a central on click 3 before you are able to run a remote.

Replicating Perfection doesn’t say anything about the first time.

“Whenever” indicates a conditional ability, which must be active in order to trigger. RP waits for its trigger condition (the runner runs on a central server), at which point it resolves and sets up a lasting effect (ignore this ability until the end of the turn).

4 Likes

Regarding Archives Interface, I have in mind that you still access all the cards but remove one from the game. If three shocks are in archives you would still take 2 nets.

Am I correct in this ?

You are correct - provided the third shock was the target of AI, as implied. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jeeves is AFAIK the only card in the game with a “long” trigger.

What I mean by that is that the trigger on Jeeves is “The corp spends 3 clicks”, not “The corp spends the third click.”
A card must be rezzed during the WHOLE trigger, it seems. This has never been a problem before, because all earlier triggers have been instantaneous.

1 Like

How exactly does bad publicity work? Are the credits indistinguishable from others in your pool? i.e. can you choose to spend non-bad-pub credits in preference if for some reason it’s beneficial to have low money, or is it always the case that the first X credits you spend on a run are your bad pub credits?

I think you can decide to spend other credits if you want, but not sure. Pretty sure the rules say (can’t be bothered to check right now) that you add credits to your pool when you start the run, and remove them after the run if they are not used, which implies that you can spend some other credit tokens and remove all the bad pub I guess.

The Runner may spend these credits during his run as if they were in his credit pool, but any unspent bad publicity credits return to the bank at the end of the run.
Page 17, Column 1, Sidebar, Core Rule Book

I guess the may implies that it’s not mandatory to spend the bad pub credits.

2 Likes

(Emphasis mine)

The credits are kept separate even though they are treated “as if” they are in the credit pool. And spending them is optional (unless you hit a non-optional thing like Tollbooth and have no others to spend of course!).

2 Likes

(It might be noted too that you might want to save bad publicity where you have recurring credits, not just if you tactically want to be poor for some odd reason. And it’s worth noting out that for online play on Jinteki.net you’ll have to manually adjust at the end of a run where you take and spend recurring credits and you also have bad pub that you don’t entirely spend, since it assumes that bad pub always gets spent first. It came up just the other day!)

I think the RP / Strike interaction is interesting. I feel like RP actually has two abilities on a mechanical level:

A constant ability stating:

The runner cannot run on remote servers.

A conditional ability stating:

Ignore [RP’s constant ability] until the end of the turn whenever the runner runs on a central server.

So if your turn thus far has been:

1. Run a central server.
  2. Play a current (overriding Strike).

RP now has both of its abilities back. The constant ability is in effect and makes it impossible to run remotes, as the conditional ability has not been procced to cancel it (it was inactive during the run on click 1).

That’s how I see it, at least. If that ain’t right someone can feel free to clarify.

3 Likes