Official Rules Question Thread

So on the Corp’s turn, CtM would trace a runner, because they’d resolve their triggers first and the trash hasn’t been replaced yet.

This will get really messy later as long as replacements are treated as triggers without any higher priority. I think I got it now, though.

More accurately, CtM Triggered, but failed to Resolve. Thus, because it Triggered, it won’t Trigger again.

Testing my knowledge: SecTest and Sneakdoor both Trigger on Archives run. Because they’re both triggers, controlled by me, I can choose the order. If I resolve SecTest first, I can still resolve Sneakdoor’s (And gain 2cr instead of accessing HQ cards). If I resolve Sneakdoor’s first, I can no longer resolve SecTest’s as the successful Archives run doesn’t exist anymore. (And would no longer trigger SecTest on any future Archives runs, as it already triggered once. But I’d access HQ cards)

Of course trade access doesn’t occurs at the same moment of the run, succes is 4.2 and access is 4.4…
Sneakdoor is a better Slum analogy because the replacement is on the trigger moment.

Note that while I have approximations, all of you confond “trashed a card” on CTM and “is trashing any card”

Close. Sneakdoor creates a constant effect which will make the successful run on Archives a successful run on HQ instead. Constant effects take priority, always, over conditional triggered abilities. So, you don’t “resolve” Sneakdoor first, it’s always on, once used. If you put Sec Test on Archives and then Sneakdoor, you will access HQ.

Exactly.

3 Likes

No it’s not.

Paying the trash cost is the trigger moment.

The card being trashed is the replacement moment.

1 Like

Oh, I really hope somebody confirms that this is the reasoning, because it clears up this whole chain of Calvinball-ish discussion. Is this already covered in the detailed rules/FAQ. If not, how can we get this added?
EDIT: Thank you, @CJFM !

1 Like

Is CTM wording is “trashed a card” or “is trashing any card” ?

Read the entire card again.

1 Like

Read it yourself. To me past tense indicates stuff is done, and “a <> 0”. So invocating cascading for those is wrong,plus “a” never meant “any”.

… There is no past tense used anywhere in CtM’s card text.

1 Like

CtM can’t trigger a second time, just like Tori can’t trigger after it replaces net damage, for the next net damage. Here is the Tori Hanzo rule (FAQ 3.1, p. 11):

If the first instance of net damage is prevented by another effect or replaced with Tori Hanzō’s own effect, Tori Hanzō cannot trigger for the remainder of the run.

1 Like
  • I’m redacting this because Jacob already answered your question -

Ok, so to makes things clear, you’re invocating cascading ruling for Slum / CTM ?

Apologies.

But because Replacement Effects are Triggers, SecTest will also Trigger when you try to Replace the Successful Archives run? It being a Constant Ability doesn’t matter because of the Replacement Effect…?

Right. The problem with Slums/CtM is whether the Trash happens at all. Tori sees the net damage, even at the same time something like Net Shield would. The weirdness of Slums is that despite it saying ‘dont trash it, RFG instead’, that actually means it’s a trigger that watches for the same thing CtM does: Trash.

Replacement effects aren’t triggers. “Conditional”, “constant”, etc. describe abilities, not individual effects.

I understood the main problem I think.

By “trashes a card”, they understood the “trash action”.
By “trashes a card”, you and I understood results & cards.

I think this is it.

I honestly don’t know how to make a difference.

I was actually referring to the part of the ruling that says Tori can’t trigger a second time after it replaces the first net damage. So Tori doesn’t see the next net damage, even after it replaced the first one as a brain damage. This is the same as CtM not seeing the next trash, after Slums replaces it with RFG.

2 Likes

So something’s wrong with this, then?

And, once more, with feeling: If it’s the Corp’s turn, will CTM Trace the Runner that used Slums to trash?

I erred in that explanation
I believe it should be.

1. Slums Triggers, sets up replacement effect.
  2. Trash happens, one trigger, one cascading effect that happens first: 1) Slums’ replacement effect, 2) Corp’s CTM trace.
  3. Runner’s replacement effect happens first. RFG card trashed.
  4. CTM can’t see a trash because the card was RFG’d instead of trashed.

@jakodrako and the FAQ will agree that the replacement effect takes priority. So no.

No, it will not. Isn’t that what everyone is yelling about? Because people don’t like the answer “no” to that question?