Official Rules Question Thread

I am also interested in this answer before I put the finishing touches on this one for jnet…

1 Like

Runner has slums installed runs click one on CTM remote hits virtual tour.

Can this be slummed?
Does it trigger ctm ability?
How about the next thing trashed that turn?

1.it can be slummed
2. It only triggers CTMs ability if you choose to trash it instead of slumming it.
3. The game registers a trash occurred even though it was immediately replaced, as such future cards trashed that turn don’t trigger CTM.

2 Likes

Thanks this is what i thought. I heard it has been ruled differently at German nats.

Well the argument in this case is not weather the ruling, as presented here, is the correct one, but if it is or is not as ruled by Damon both online and as a TO in American Nats.

The argument “was” if Damon’s ruling is official or not and if the German TO can ignore it and apply whatever ruling they choose if said ruling by Damon is not considered valid and official.

Which results in: "whatever Damon says can be ignored and a TO can apply whatever ruling they like in whatever case they like, as long as the rule is not in the official FAQ "

Each person can then decide which method they think is the proper one to apply in these types of cases; go with Damon or go not with Damon :unamused:

this seems like awful logic. That means he can ignore any ruling presently in the UFAQ.

I agree it is awful logic and yes, that means that one can ignore the UFAQ.

Official/Unofficial rulings aside, how would you even arrive at the conclusion that virtual tour can’t be hit by slums? Would require a pretty large gap in an understanding the rules (choosing to trigger slums is after virtual tour has been satisfied).

Just seems like disastrous TOing. Shame that’s happening at national events.

I just assumed that the TO wasn’t doing the CtM ruling. Did the TO not allow a salsette a mumbad virtual tour??!

Sorry I was making assumptions based on the initial proposed question. That might not have actually happened.

You know what? I’m starting to second guess myself on the mumbad virtual tour. It has to trash…I’m not sure you can replace the effect… Anyone know where jakodraco is?

I would assume that MVT would just force you to pay an action that would result in it being trashed, not prevent you from later replacing it. Would mean it would need to be checking MVT at different points in the alleged timing sequence.

This does bring up some interesting stuff though. By the UFAQ, Imp must be procced if the runner can’t trash otherwise. Must Imp be procced if the runner can later trash? If not, then we must be checking against the board state to determine if there’s later, valid trash abilities that can satisfy MVT (which means we’re checking against MVT in multiple spots anyway). So, I guess it’s plausible?

There is some ANCUR stuff that show that a card is trashed first and after that you choose to Slums it, or not.

Both

" not allowed Slumming MVT "

and

" if first card is Slummed second trashed card does trigger CTM "

rulings were made at German Nats.

Yeah I agree with the fact that slums occurs after trashing MVT. Also, part 2 had been known and ruled, and the fact that that wasn’t used, even if not in the official FAQ, is shoddy TOing, IMO. But where I’m caught up now is on part 1:

If one card says “you must do X”, are you later allowed to replace X? I can’t find any real precedent on this. Most “must” effects are either revealing traps or additional costs (with no method of replacement outside of things that specifically say to ignore).

The only interaction I could muster up is Neutralize All Threats + Slums, but really that’s a similar interaction to MVT, so I don’t think that goes anywhere.

I’m fairly confident that MVT should be slums-able, but I can at least understand the alternative interpretation. Does anyone have anything that counters that interpretation? Has this, or anything similar, been ruled (official or otherwise)?

Shameful.

6 Likes

I’ve brought this up offline before to my local community; I wish there was a TO accreditation program that could hold TO’s accountable for doing things like this.

But if that existed, there’d also need to be resources for TO’s to outreach before making fairly ambiguous rulings (for example, I’m still not sure that there’s reasonable precedent to assume they don’t have a plausible stance about MVT vs. Slums). Hell, even the CtM + Slums ruling isn’t available through any official channels; that would need to change.

Ultimately, it would probably fall apart on an infrastructure level because this game simply isn’t big enough, but it would get around a lot of the shiesty shit that’s happened at big events in the past.

1. You cannot choose to use Slums, it’s mandatory I don’t know why I typed that, I meant that MVT is mandatory, sorry (just a goof, and I reread this today not sure what I was thinking). 2) You would have to pay to trash MVT, which MVT requires, which slums’ it, provided it’s the first card trashed that turn.

That German Nats ruling is terrible. :frowning:

The argument I’m putting forth is if slums replacement would be prevented by MVT mandating that it must be trashed (IE: the trash not being allowed to be replaced).

It’s not my personal stance; it seems like quite a stretch to me, honestly. I’m just trying to understand what the TO might’ve been thinking, and how to rationalize that the train of thought was demonstrably incorrect using known interactions/rulings. I’m coming up dry on the latter, though.

I think it’s better not to rationalize irrational behavior. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think getting to root cause is important (if beyond my FFG pay-grade). :slight_smile:

Take this discussion for example; you and me (along with most people here) seem to feel that the nationals ruling is poor. But it isn’t spelled out anywhere that he’s wrong AFAICT, so what’s to stop him/her from making that exact same ruling again at future events? The response on this forums seems to indicate that people would like to see this not happen in the future, but how to prevent it?