Official Rules Question Thread

That’s correct, the text was blank so it hasn’t yet triggered that turn. RP says “whenever”, which means it is a conditional triggered ability. You will have to run a central on click 3 before you are able to run a remote.

Replicating Perfection doesn’t say anything about the first time.

“Whenever” indicates a conditional ability, which must be active in order to trigger. RP waits for its trigger condition (the runner runs on a central server), at which point it resolves and sets up a lasting effect (ignore this ability until the end of the turn).

4 Likes

Regarding Archives Interface, I have in mind that you still access all the cards but remove one from the game. If three shocks are in archives you would still take 2 nets.

Am I correct in this ?

You are correct - provided the third shock was the target of AI, as implied. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jeeves is AFAIK the only card in the game with a “long” trigger.

What I mean by that is that the trigger on Jeeves is “The corp spends 3 clicks”, not “The corp spends the third click.”
A card must be rezzed during the WHOLE trigger, it seems. This has never been a problem before, because all earlier triggers have been instantaneous.

1 Like

How exactly does bad publicity work? Are the credits indistinguishable from others in your pool? i.e. can you choose to spend non-bad-pub credits in preference if for some reason it’s beneficial to have low money, or is it always the case that the first X credits you spend on a run are your bad pub credits?

I think you can decide to spend other credits if you want, but not sure. Pretty sure the rules say (can’t be bothered to check right now) that you add credits to your pool when you start the run, and remove them after the run if they are not used, which implies that you can spend some other credit tokens and remove all the bad pub I guess.

The Runner may spend these credits during his run as if they were in his credit pool, but any unspent bad publicity credits return to the bank at the end of the run.
Page 17, Column 1, Sidebar, Core Rule Book

I guess the may implies that it’s not mandatory to spend the bad pub credits.

2 Likes

(Emphasis mine)

The credits are kept separate even though they are treated “as if” they are in the credit pool. And spending them is optional (unless you hit a non-optional thing like Tollbooth and have no others to spend of course!).

2 Likes

(It might be noted too that you might want to save bad publicity where you have recurring credits, not just if you tactically want to be poor for some odd reason. And it’s worth noting out that for online play on Jinteki.net you’ll have to manually adjust at the end of a run where you take and spend recurring credits and you also have bad pub that you don’t entirely spend, since it assumes that bad pub always gets spent first. It came up just the other day!)

I think the RP / Strike interaction is interesting. I feel like RP actually has two abilities on a mechanical level:

A constant ability stating:

The runner cannot run on remote servers.

A conditional ability stating:

Ignore [RP’s constant ability] until the end of the turn whenever the runner runs on a central server.

So if your turn thus far has been:

1. Run a central server.
  2. Play a current (overriding Strike).

RP now has both of its abilities back. The constant ability is in effect and makes it impossible to run remotes, as the conditional ability has not been procced to cancel it (it was inactive during the run on click 1).

That’s how I see it, at least. If that ain’t right someone can feel free to clarify.

3 Likes

Might be slightly OT since it isn’t out yet, but what is the interaction with Wormhole/Orion and Mausolus going to be?

Wormhole/Orion have no text regarding how to treat parenthesis routines, so I feel like they either never do parenthesised text (regardless of their/mausoleums advancement), or they do both the non-parenthesis and parenthesis text.

The latter seems way too busted though so I’m guessing the prior. That said, if you read the routines logically in the context where there is no instruction on how to handle parenthesis, I feel like doing both is more intuitive.

Plus I really want Wormhole to give the runner two tags and end the run.

Nevermind, think I got my answer after actually reading Wormhole. Wormhole activates the subroutine on the ICE in question; it doesn’t copy the routine. So it’ll do whatever Mausolus would do (because it’s Mausolus that’s actually “doing”).

Still want 2 tag + ETR wormholes though. Have to settle for 1 tag + ETR. :pensive:

3 Likes

Yep, they just announced that CtM will not trigger if Slum is used but will trigger if the runner trashes à card afterwards.

I try to argue but it seems that I don’t have the same skill than those who explained it to me here. So far no change of minds. :frowning:

I hope FFG will release a new FAQ explaining this case soon.

Kinda makes you feel like all the discussion and effort here is for naught. :confused:

Figuring out how relatively complicated interactions work doesn’t seem meaningful if it’s being dismissed at the second-highest tier of competitive play lol.

Seriously? Who’s in charge of the French nationals?

1 Like

I don’t know for sure who is in charge actually, it seems it’s a collegial decision from the judges.

The TO is Edge (French distributor of the game) but I don’t know if they’re in charge in this particular case or if they’re delegating to others.

Honestly, we need an official announcement from FFG regarding that matter. I don’t see any other solution. :-/

To whom do we have to write to get things done at FFG ?

I’ve already submitted my concerns (about everything; not specifically the French nationals) through their official contact forms. Don’t think anything will be done here, but, appropriately, c’est la vie.

@Wiegraf is one the consultant for rules there. I’m quite sure he will not be TO on site though.

Note that I disagree with the french decision too, now that I understood core mechanisms behind this.
I tried to explain it and though I made it easy to learn (because of my 631 questions I bothered you with).

For some reason, I can’t help for now, sorry.

1 Like

Siiiigh!

It makes no difference if Damon’s tweet/ruling at NANats/Word is official or not because:

1. Any other ruling the TO makes will be similarily unofficial.

2. There is no need for an FAQ in this matter as the ruling as made
    by Damon can be derived through the official game rules and official
    presedence, so any other ruling will be objectively wrong. Tell that to the French TO and ask them to support their erraneous ruling with resources instead of making things up

Do we really need every instance/variation of every rule to be
written in an official document for people to accept them? No we don’t
it would be absurd since it is impossible.

“Hey the rules only state that a runner steals an
agenda when accessed, this new agenda came out after the rules were
written I need it FAQ:d that this agenda explicitly follows the same
rules as the rest of the game, otherwise the runner can not steal this
agenda from me ever” is a similarily silly thing to say/judge.

How can the communities even allow these people to be TOs/judges ???

7 Likes

I’m starting to wonder if this is less about FAQs vs uFAQs and more about just not liking the ruling. I’ve never seen the netrunner community this incalcitrant.

3 Likes