Official Stimhack Netrunner Mentor Program Updated With Pairings! Now with a tournament!

Role: Mentor
Time zone: GMT (UK)
Voice Chat: Skype
Areas of expertise: Stronger corp player than runner. Inventor of weyland goverment takeover and have a love of kill decks matching any description. Good with foodcoats and most other current top corp decks. Runner side currently loving apoc maxx and am decent at PPvP kate, opus CT, noise or old style good stuff crims.
Platform: OCTGN or Jinteki, but I feel OCTGN’s ability to take back easily makes it a much better teaching platform.

2 Likes

Played for about 3 hours last night with my mentor, Chris (CJFM), and it was everything I hoped it would be. For me, the game reaches its full potential when you get to discuss cards and decisions with fellow players. Thanks again for this thread - it lets the Netrunner community do what it does best.

Chris recorded it and should put it up on his YouTube channel soon. We had a good time and played some tense, interesting games. I’m sure Chris will share the link.

Highlights include:

• me literally not being able to score out of R&D because every agenda left was a Kittie, and me learning to deduct the corp’s agenda spread before making end-game decisions. Special thanks to News Team for making this situation possible. -3 points in my score area :\

-A dubious bluff where I installed 2 Beales (I was NEH, not Haarpsicord), that got me to game point against a set-up Kate with Clot online. Lessons: sometimes doing the unexpected wins you games, and it pays to develop a nose for situations where the corp is likely to get cheeky.

• Fighting the good fight with Timmy’s Test-Run Whizzard and at least losing in style with 5 brain damage. Lessons: don’t pitch the only Kati in your deck even if you have lots o’ Liberated Accounts at the time. Also, take it a little easier and rig up, especially against HB.
4 Likes

That bluff worked out in the end! It was a pretty sick play. :smiley:

Game 1 - NEH Turtlebacks Fastro v PPVP Kate

Game 2 - Keno’s PPVP Kate v Sync Psychobiotics

Game 3 - TimmyL4JWhizzard vs Hargleblarg’s HB Glacier

7 Likes

Role: mentee
Time zone: cst, usually active in the evenings/nights
Able to use Voice Chat?: yes, my preference is anything but skype
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: honestly, just about anywhere. my corp game is marginally stronger than my runner game, but both need improvement. after going even at some regionals, i’ve been on a steady decline in terms of tournament results and i’m not totally sure why.

During playback, Chris realized I could have won the NEH game at 19:35 by simply over advancing that Beale with my 2 Astro tokens. Live and learn - a significant portion of this game is being aware of the small details.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

Due to many many months of playing PsychoBeale decks, I always look at Beale as a 5/3 or better that you can FA from hand for two points if you need to. Lots of NBN FA players seem to think it’s a blank 3/2 but its ability is insanely powerful (though slightly less amazing now that GFI is also in the game, but why not have both? :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

I blame playing too much Sync lately: I am still stubbornly hooked on 3x Food, 3x Astro, 3x Kitty.

2 Likes

That suite is pretty rad too, though I think I went with the Beales instead of Food in my SYNC attempt as well, adding in some BN and 15 minutes to flavor. It also ran Archer, so there’s that :smiley:

1 Like

Role: Mentee
Time zone: GMT-5 (USA EST) [I am very flexible right now. Anything from 1:00 PM to 3:00 AM works]
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes (Hangouts or Skype)
Platform: OCTGN please
Skill Level: Somewhere between Beginner and Intermediate. Still fairly new to the game but well past the basics.
Areas to Improve: For Corp - ICE placement and also how to choose a good assortment of ICE for your deck in the first place. I’m a die hard Weyland fan, so any green ID is fine by me, but I also enjoy playing most NBN corps as well. For Runner - I would love to improve on competitive Anarch play with runners such as MaxX, Whizzard and Reina.

What the heck are you doing as a mentee?! As far as I remember you routinely kick butt in your matches. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Had a pleasant over the shoulder play season with my Mentee-Mentee pairing of Lomar4976!

However the Mentee asigned to me (Ishnaron) seems to have vanished after we exchanged some PMs two weeks ago…what do?

2 Likes

Grab a new one. Grab two new ones. Grab all the GMT new mentee’s!
Theres more then enough to go around.

1 Like

Thanks Brenden, but there’s a big gulf from competent/slightly skilled to high skilled/expert. Trying to bridge that gap, plus it’s the most fun I’ve had playing Netrunner in a while. We’re playing tonight if you want to spar some.

Role: Mentor

Time Zone: GMT -8 (US Pacific)

Qualifications/Area of expertise: Won a store champs and came 5th overall at the Washington regionals.

On the corp side, I’m well versed in glacier builds-how to create scoring windows for yourself and how to give the runner only bad options. Tennin and HB are my strongest points, I’ve had reasonable success with Gagarin, but I’ve mostly avoided NBN. So, if you’re looking to Fastro, I won’t be much help.

As a runner, I’m classically trained as a Shaper, but have also been known to run aggressive Anarchs and reactionary Criminals. I am especially adept at avoiding flatlines, so if you find yourself in the morgue more often than you’d like, I can help with that.

Overall though, if you have a weird deck you want to get working, I’m there to help.

I’m mostly available in the middle of the week, but I’m fairly flexible on my schedule.

Edit: I can do Skype/Google hangouts, and octgn/jinteki are both fine

2 Likes

Time zone: GMT
Able to use voice chat?: Skype, hangouts, anything sensible
**Area where you think you need to improve:**When and where to apply pressure as runner as well as identifying when it’s best to try and, playing a lot of Whizzard atm which is my first real foray into anarch more generally just looking for feedback and to bounce some ideas off other players

Open to pairing up now that my schedule has finally eased up. I’m sure I could match my schedule to anyone in North America (everything outside that is way too tricky), but I need to schedule these things at least a day in advance.

Let’s do this!

For any of you wondering, you can still sign up if you want to! Even though there’s less activity, the programme hasn’t stopped.

2 Likes

Time zone: Eastern Standard
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes
Area where you think you need to improve: Using shaper and anarch decks. I have been using an andromeda deck for a while and recently started using a maxx deck based on Minh tran’s from worlds. On the corp side I have been using a hb food deck that I made and a spark deck. I haven’t really used jinteki at all but I need some help with game flow in general.

I still need a student (mine never responded!). Feel free to set me up with a mentee (or two :smiley: )

2 Likes