Official Stimhack Netrunner Mentor Program Updated With Pairings! Now with a tournament!

Oh no! I just discovered this thread. Is it too late to get in on this as a mentee/student?

To sign up, make a post with the following info
Role: Mentee
Time zone: CST (US Central)
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes
I’ve played a lot of NEH Sportsball and RP on the corpside and Maxx on the runner side. Primarily looking for advice regarding higher level decision making and game sense. Hoping to start taking competitive play more seriously. Interested in becoming more familiar with the competitive standard decks but also in the more challenging/interesting competitively viable decks.

I just “met up” with fellow mentee last night for a couple of games and it was a lot of fun. So helpful to just talk through choices and why we are making them and what possible outcomes could be. “What is the worst case scenario for what that unrezzed ICE is?”

Maybe one of my problems is trying to think of everything in my head rather than talking it out. Difficult to do in competitive situations, but I think I need to talk more in this game.

3 Likes

To anyone in the GMT -6 timezone whom has not yet been paired with a mentor, I am willing to take on another mentee so just send me a PM if you’d like. I am also more than willing to pair up with another mentor. I could always learn more!

If I’m not too late

Role: Mentee
Time zone: Pacific (Portland)
Able to use Voice Chat?: Skype, can install something else if needed
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:
Want to get better in general, but most interested in getting better at Noise and Fast Advance. Help with Criminal and Jinteki shell game would also be appreciated. I use OCTGN, might dip my toes into jinteki.net at some point.

Usually available weeknights.

@TinyGrimes and I had our first chat. Looking forward to some game sharing and playing!

2 Likes

I learned so much from @spags in our chat. I can’t wait to do it again soon. Thanks for setting up this great program. P.S. I just used my new knowledge to wreck someone on Jinteki with NEH Astro.

8 Likes

Are any sessions being recorded/streamed? I don’t really have the time to mentor (or be a mentee, depending on how prideful I feel like being) right now, but I’d love to see what people are discussing and how things are going.

I meant to record my session with my mentee, but forgot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hopefully I’ll remember next time!

Top secret, bro.

Will be recording next time too

Would like to join this as well. Seems there aren’t enough mentors?

Role: Mentor (I guess?)
Time: UTC-5
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes. Skype preferred.
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: Not sure???
I don’t have much actual tournament experience, since my local meta is only just starting and the one legit tournament I’ve gone to was a 63-player Regionals where I hit Top 8. Since then, I’ve been nursing a mediocre record in SHL.
While I may not be at the level of a player who is able to do well at Worlds, I have enough hubris to say that I think my skill level is higher than “intermediate” (whatever that means).
I’m confident in my ability to see scoring windows and where and when I should run. However, being able to bounce ideas off of someone (mid-game) that frequently does well in tournaments would be invaluable. Comparing plays and questioning each others’ logic and stuff like that.
I don’t have a particular specialty, but I tend to do pretty bad with combo decks like 7-point CI, and I have zero experience running Val DLR.

Prefer to start after mid December since I’ve got a busy personal schedule until then.

1 Like

Got in contact with @crisscrosses, who says he is keen.

Not sure about @dr00, who hasn’t yet responded - unfortunately for him, he has had the displeasure of meeting me in person. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t mind taking a second mentee. I plan on Recording our games too. Any takers?

1 Like

I’m down. Like to work on my fast advance game and get advanced with Kate.

On OCTGN, Est Time

1 Like

@RJay I’m cool with this. We’ve PM’d.

Noted.

Thanks for organising this. Just had my first session as a mentor for @tolaasin and had a blast. He was a really receptive student, we got along really well. I learned a lot, and I think he did too. I’m looking forward to our next session.

I’d really recommend mentoring to anyone who can give a few hours a week. I think it will help me develop as a player. There’s a lot to be gained by watching the game critically and understanding and trying to correct mistakes.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, it’s always great to hear positive experiences!

I can probably take a second mentee on if needed.

2 Likes

Probably the most enlightening session I’ve spent playing netrunner in the last months - while it’s great to watch videos, and read up on strategy, actually playing a game and verbalising what you’re thinking, and hearing what a more experienced player is thinking for the same board state was revelatory. @masterair and I planned in 90 minutes but went on for 3 hours!

If you’re an experienced player, and can offer some time to invest in newer players online, please give it ago.

Plus, we got to steal 7 points off @Calimsha, which is always a good feeling :smile:.

6 Likes