OFFICIAL Stimhack OCTGN League PART II

Sixth in fact. There is a couple of games that I’ve won and who aren’t validated yet. I’m above you by something like 10 pts.

1 Like

Congrats to the top 4.

Fuck Caprice for knocking me out :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

DAMN YOU! You are right again! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, @calimsha, I tried to help you as much as I could. :wink:

Good to know that all it takes to finish above @Nordrunner is play 2 league games against Calimsha, lose both, and then call it good. :smiley: Final record: 0-2.

3 Likes

Thanks for organising this league, it was a lot of fun again.

Congrats to the top 4!

I still think top 4 cut is silly. Shout out to everyone who made it within 50 or so elo of the top cut; given the way the challenge board works, I think that’s about how uncertain the ratings are. All of you are world-class players, cut or no.

5 Likes

A computer cannot fully randomize. I’ve read a few articles on it.

Which I can’t seem to find and I’m at work so I can’t devote too much time. I’ll record my friend, a physics/calc professor next time he tries to explain it to me :stuck_out_tongue: (He’s mostly used it to “poopoo” Hearthstone, but the concept stands regardless).

1 Like

Top 4 makes sense logistically - we want to get the playoffs done with in a reasonable amount of time. Then we can start league #3 so everyone can continue to enjoy playing league.

For the third league we need someone to look into changes to the ranking system IMO. At the very least, the existing K-value is brutal.

Ideally we could use a system that factors in how many games someone has played, since many players on the league haven’t played enough games for their ELO to approximate their true skill.

As an example, @mediohxcore went 7-2 for a ELO of 1576. When I was ranked 1713, the worst possible thing I could do is even attempt to play against him because he’s ~200 points undervalued and certainly favoured against me. In the best case, he’s not wearing his lucky wife beater and I manage to split, which still loses me a ton of points.

It would be far better for me to gradually inflate my ranking and try to squeak into the cut by sweeping some 1500 player who is actually a 1400 but didn’t play enough games yet for that to be reflected.

ChallengeBoards is open source - there has to be a .NET coder on these forums that could have a look?

5 Likes

While I’m willing to believe octgn/hearthstone/mtgo use a crappy PRNG instead of a cryptographically secure one, you can definitely get truly random numbers if you care enough.

4 Likes

I mean, this is technically true, but beside the point: computers can generate distributions of numbers where the correlations are weak enough for all practical purposes. Certainly for a card game.:You don’t need to hook up your computer to a Gieger counter or something, even if it’s cool to do so.

1 Like

Every single discussion I’ve ever had on this topic eventually degenerates into debating the definition of ‘random’.

Isn’t there a “league excel sheet”?

I’m willing to run it again to with a sheet avoid the disadvantages of the current site.

I also propose to make it a closed league, only people on this forum. 90% off all incidents were with unknown people who never responded to anything.

1 Like

I created a new thread for discussing how to improve things the next time a SHL gets run: SHL3 Setup

3 Likes

Caprice is a bitch :stuck_out_tongue:

So what happens now? :wink:

And now we wait:

You’ll get a PM :wink:

1 Like

Are “StimHack League: Top 8” badges going to be handed out for top8-ing this?

edit: @Argamas ? I am not sure who has power over handing out badges.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be too excited about beating me this league. I was either playing jank or made sure I got agenda flooded. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

shouts to patlanicus, 100 games more than the next person and still a 60% win rate, respect

personally I don’t think there should be a 2 month wait before the next league

1 Like

Arrangements for the finals are made. We will start a new league soon after that. I hope within two weeks. We can all play O&C then :wink:

4 Likes