[Completed] OFFICIAL Stimhack OCTGN League #1

Hello Netrunner Universe,

I am very excited to launch the first Official SimHack OCTGN League with @SneakySly. There has been a big demand, so here we go!

-First and foremost here, while OCTGN is a great interface, please do your homework and know how to use OCTGN prior to entering any league games. OCTGN is not entirely intuitive, but thankfully Tuism (from BGG) made an excellent easy to use OCTGN GUIDE.

-We will be using http://www.challengeboards.net/ as our league host. You will need to “register” for BOTH the website and for the specific league. The league is called “The Official Stimhack League”

Please make your names on OCTGN, Stimhack, and the league website as close to the same as possible to avoid confusion for your opponents!

-The league will start 07/20/2014 and conclude 9/20/2014. (The League has now officially started!)

-When you start a league game, just make sure you have “Stimhack League” in the title. It will deter non league players, and let other Stimhack league players you are looking for a game. I suggest starting a thread for scheduling games.

-There will be no minimum or maximum number of games you can play. Play anytime, as much as you like. The winner will report the game, and loser will have 36 hours to “reject” the game if there is a discrepancy. It’s also nice if you are the loser to go ahead and “verify” the loss, this will speed along the scoring of the game.

-You are not required to play a full match, playing only one side is ok. Although to keep in the spirit of Netrunner please mix up who you play and which side you play as much as possible.

-Play any legal decks you like. For simplicity sake, if the cards are “rezzed” on OCTGN, then they are available for league play.

-It rates on an ELO system, and the top 8 players will cut to elimination rounds to decide the ultimate winner.

Prizes:
The ultimate winner will get a special forum badge signifying their victory in the league. Additionally there will be other prizes such as @SneakySly’s personal Netrunner Plugged in Tour bag as well as lots of alt art from awesome community members like @Argamas, @PeekaySK and others. Full details on exactly what the prize pool will look like will come later.

I think that about does it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

21 Likes

Thanx, @Nordrunner! I am in.

Awesome. Thanks very much!

1 Like

iirc the collective/laramy fisk and both chronus ids are technically “rezzed” on octgn. might want to allow only released cards.

3 Likes

Awesome, I’m in. I’ll make sure to read the guide and get some OCTGN games in before the 20th so I have some idea what I’m doing.

Totally agree. So no:

-The Collective
-Laramie Fisk
-Either of the chronos protocol id’s

3 Likes

4 Likes

I am so going to get creamed… but someone has to be last. I am in!

2 Likes

I’m in! I failed to start a league at my local store, so this will let me play against a greater variety of people.

I know it’s strange to make this sort of request after you made the league and everything, but I think thing would be a lot more interesting if one of three things changed:

(1) The league is made longer than a month. With everyone starting at the same rating, it takes about 40-60 matches before the top players’ Elos to settle. Most players won’t play this many games in a month, and while it’s cool to encourage playing more, I don’t think a longer league will make people disinterested. It’s also just nice to have it going longer so it won’t be over as soon and we can keep playing league.

(2) Cut to top X for a playoff at the end. This just helps in the sense that if one guy plays 70 games, that doesn’t mean you have to play anywhere near that to win. It’s unlikely 8 players will play that many. It also takes away advantage from whichever player is available to play for the most time leading up to the end of the league, (that player can just play until they make first place and sort of “camp” there, if the other contenders aren’t playing at that time).

(3) Have the K value of the tournament decrease over time or with number of games played, or have a preliminary rating. I have no idea which of these options challonge supports, but (I think) any of them would make it so people got to their actual ratings faster.

Really, this is just me pointing out the main issue I had with the BGG leagues, (same format). It felt like if the goal was to see how good everyone was, that was sort of fucked up by the league mechanics.

EDIT: it appears option (3) is not available on this website.

4 Likes

As mentioned, it’s not perfect. Somehow I knew you’d have an opinion… :stuck_out_tongue: Feel free to organize and change anything you like, as nothing has started yet. I am only doing this because everyone was talking about a league and taking no action. If there is someone with more ambition than myself to make an improved version of the league, I am totally onboard.

3 Likes

I’d really appreciate a longer league, I’m probably not going to be able to get more than 20 games in over the course of a month. The top 8 thing someone else can organize if there isn’t a clear winner, but I’d really like a two month league if possible

4 Likes

Here’s another idea, (that I’m not sure will work within the confines of this website).

Rather than have a playoff at the end, just take the top 4 and play round robin, whoever has the highest rating at the end wins. This mitigates some of the games-played effect by giving people an opportunity to take some points from the top player and ensures the strongest players actually play each other without making the end ratings unimportant by cutting to top X and making everything ride on a couple of outside-the-actual-league games.

Not sure if there is a way to simply extend the league at the end, but 6 games are simple enough that we could just use an Elo calculator.

I will be on vacation for a goodly part of August, so I support a longer league.

2 Likes

I think it would be cool to have some sort of token prize for the winner, like a title for your account that says “Stimhack League Winner.” No idea how much work that would be, but if it went through that’d be great.

@Nordrunner @SneakySly thanks so much for running this :smiley:

4 Likes

In light of high demand, we have extended the tournament another month. Ends 9/20/2014.

3 Likes

I don’t know how much I will actually play, but I will sign up.

1 Like

Alt art Stimhack would be fitting if we could get an artist

2 Likes