1x Refractor ••
2x Switchblade

Program (3)
3x Cloak ••••• •

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Up and Over

2 Likes

He was in sorta bad shape since I think he had 1 agenda scored to my six. I was pretty much all set up (gordian in my hand, passport on the table) and while I wasn’t swimming in cash, I wasn’t poor either. A good ABT might have given him time to recover. But it hit an agenda and he didn’t have the jackson, so I got my 7th point. It was a reasonable play under the circumstances.

It didn’t really matter though since his Maxx deck thrashed me for the third time that tournament. Medium is a real bitch of card against NBN FA, espsially if you’re running the grail version rather than the version that can run Lotus Fields. The game was pretty much over after I tried to one ICE remote out an Astro on turn 2 and he had the breaker in hand. If only I had use Enigma instead of Galahad, which as @dashakan pointed out, was pretty much the superior play, so that was on me.

2 Likes

I will defend my house next time god damn it. Great day all around, and I’ll just settle for my conquest bye and winning swiss. Does that count @mediohxcore for the OCTGN tourney? ~_~

See you guys at the next Philly thing, hopefully before Regionals!

2 Likes

Round 1 I played vs Leela and Tennin FA. I beat both easily, as Leela is a good MU and I got really lucky R&D accesses to close the Tennin game before it started.

Round 2 vs Justin with Janus Blue Sun and Stimshop CT

CT got 2 good stimhacks in to trash a SanSan and install Opus, but the Opus was late and the SanSan server had something else in it that he had to pay out of pocket to trash. Basically, slow setup time cost the game.

Blue Sun was trickier because I didn’t see David, but he was flooded so I stole a naked Atlas and kept his econ down with Stimhack Corroder into OAI Curtain. The Janus got me for 3 more brain damage, (I forgot about Janus being a thing and only had 3 Suckers to go with Mimic), but I had enough money not to get traced down and Maxx ability was good for keeping me out of Snare range on my late runs, though he didn’t have inf for them because of Janus anyway.

Round 3 vs Niles with Caprice Red Coats and CT Stimshop (again?!)

This was the best round. Against red coats, I had to Levvy early because all my Parasites were milled and I needed them to keep him from getting too much set up, but Niles was flooded despite awesome central ICE. He played snatch and grab but I knew about it so I just put $6 on kati until he eventually discarded it because I wasn’t giving him a window. I got a Parasite on his R&D tollbooth right off the Levy. I kept tearing down his outer remote next ICE with Parasite/Knife and when he finally went to score with a Caprice, I won the psi game through a Heimdall 2 pretty much shattering his hopes. He kept purging to keep Tollbooth from dying so I couldn’t Medium dig him, but I eventually got my whole setup out and kept waiting, putting $3 on kati, until there was $42 on Kati and $30 in my bank. Tollbooth eventually went down, and with all the recursion gone and both Caprices trashed, he had no way to score and he conceded before I decked him by trashing/stealing half of his 6 card R&D with him only on 2 points.

Against CT, I scored some early points before he could set up by rushing and then by SanSan. Up 6-4, his best plan was to R&D lock me, so I installed Jackson over my SanSan and a DBS. I had Biotic x2 in hand so I went for a turn where I could go deep into R&D to find an agenda. EOT I rezzed DBS, and on my turn I jacksoned for 4 cards, finding the last agenda, and Biotic Biotic install adv adv on SanSan ftw.

Round 4 vs Ben playing Andy Sucker and Grail NEH.

I beat Andy in a close game in a bad MU by drawing all 3 Biotics to score my first 3 agendas and locking out Sec Testing. When he was about to stabilize, he ran HQ and saw a DBS with me on $0. I saw and agenda with a DBS already in play, and saw my opportunity to steal a win, (without any Biotics left, I didn’t want to wait for recursion), so I took the Vitruvius and installed it in a recently vacated Adonis server with an Architect and an unrezzed Eli and took $2 more, hoping he would assume it was the DBS and take his turn to finish setting up with a Gordian Blade I figured he was holding and maybe a run on R&D. Sure enough, he wasted his turn conferring with Mr. Li and installing the Blade and I scored out the win with my balls on the table.

This was the first of 3 times I played vs Bens Grail NEH and so it was all somewhat of a Blur. In each game he managed to score an Astro, having only mediocre success at rushing behind Grail ICE before I set up, (the trick is to not install important programs, face check things naked and then install or lean on Clone Chips). I think most of the times I had the breakers I needed. Eventually, as it usually goes, you end the game with your breakers out and Medium in play and you just plow their R&D while making money. All three times this worked out for me. I’ll spare the elimination games of Maxx vs Grail NEH, (there were 2 more against Ben and another one), because they all went about the same. The rush/sneak agendas plans didn’t ever really work too well; I stole I think 4 agendas off the table in these games and only managed to let one through. However, I do think that’s NEH’s best shot vs Reg Ass, especially if it’s grail because it’s scary to check ICE.

The non Maxx vs NEH elim game was in the finals vs Ben, where we rematched Andy Sucker vs HBFA. This time, he had to mulligan and missed Desperado, but managed to topdeck it on turn 2 before he even ran Sec testing. The econ advantage snowballed, as I couldn’t stop testing until it was too late, and he took 4 points out of my 3 card hand with a Legwork I thought I had to bet on him not having. Like I said, I hail maried an ABT when it was 6-2, (6-4 after ABT), but flipped a Pet Proj into Archives and lost when he checked for it.

The last Maxx vs NEH was a slog (if I am remembering it as the correct game). I think I stole one Astro off the table but he iced his remote again with a code gate I couldn’t get past and scored the 2nd one. I immediately started Medium digging through a Popup window and scored some more points, but he cleared some and set up a huge tax with Grail ICE. I got both breaking news, which gave me some peace of mind about fast track ftw, but he got to game point while I was building cash for a big Medium turn. Anyway, I got in 3 accesses and ended up winning on the back of Medium again.

All in all, great day for Maxx, and I’m happy I played HBFA instead of the other deck I considered, NEARPAD. I shat all over Leela and didn’t have to worry as much about losing to Astrolabe. I don’t think the HB deck is super good in general but it’s hard to pick a corp deck these days if you don’t want to play NEH Biotics or RP Glacier (I didn’t), and I think it was a reasonable choice for the meta that day.

Reg Ass 4eva #1!!11!!

3 Likes

Jesus christ, was he not running Archived memories? Seems like the obvious play.

edit: wait, didn’t see the 30 in bank. facepalm

I run one archived memories, but my hand through 90% of this game was 12-15 points of agendas. I’d jackson them back, draw them all again, 3 times through jacksoning agendas back before I found the first Caprice, which was my only out most of the game since I didn’t get to score an ABT early with my 23 Ice list.

I did blow up Kati two turns in a row vs. Jesse though, so the Archived > S&G did make an appearance.

1 Like

Yeah, it was maybe the richest game I’ve ever played if you count the Kati money and money in the Bank together. I think I got to $60something last year in regionals playing Andy vs Scorch CI, but this was definitely more than that.

Recognizing when you don’t need to run is such a hugely important skill. Non-FA, non-horizontal decks rely on Ash or Caprice or flatline threat via trace, and out of these three only Caprice helps much if the runner is hugely rich, (which you don’t get to be by spending your money on random access central runs). If you’re playing enough ICE destruction, even Caprice can become just-ok against a super rich runner, as they can take a lot of shots at her and flip the odds on the 66% favor to the corp. As long as you don’t let a scoring window open, waiting is usually awesome, as the central accesses get better and better as the game goes on if no one is scoring points, and it’s on the corp to continue to pay to add tax to those servers as the game goes on, even if you’re not running, which tends to be expensive because of increased install costs, which just increase the credit differential even further. Also, Kati in particular gets more and more efficient the durdlier you play because you can spend more clicks putting money on and less taking off.

3 Likes

One of the most annoying plays I have faced in recent memory. @hhooo S&G my Kati with 6 on it (I had 0 credits) my next turn I took 2, installed Kati, and clicked her. He then drew, Archived S&G, and killed her again. Hell of a timewalk.

6 Likes

I agree, I played your maxx deck against an RP glacier that kept getting trickle, while I loaded kati, and i kept imping shit, but never attacking the remote until he jammed an agenda (he was out of jacksons, interns and caprices thanks to early medium). Essentially I’m competing on # ice he can rez, money almost doesn’t matter except ash, but at some point running 2 times doesn’t matter. He can have 1,000 credits at that point and it doesn’t matter.

2015 Store Championship
March 28th, 2015
Petrie’s Family Games
Colorado Springs, CO

Winner: Ryan Burke
21 Players
Cards legal up to Order and Chaos

1st Place Corp: Foundry Twins
1st Place Runner: Quetzal Supplier

Colorado’s final Store Championship is in the books. Ryan let me know that he’s doing a write-up on both of his lists, I’ll reply to this post with his thoughts on the decks as soon as he publishes it. You can look at the rest of the field here. Standard competitive decks (NEH AstroBiotics, ETF Fast Advance, RP Grail, Stealth Andy, Suckers Gabe, MaxX Keyhole Eater) accompanied by standard Colorado jank (Blue Sun Mushin, PE Punitive, Chaos Au Revoir, Switchblade Leela) - and that’s just the top half of the field, heh.

2 Likes

I won my first store champs!

card pool: up to O&C
event: Store Championship
players: 20ish, not sure exactly
location/store: Uncommons
city: NYC, NY
date: 3/29/15
winner: Kenny D

Corp:
NEH Fastrobitoics (2.0) (49 cards)

Near-Earth Hub: Broadcast Center

Agenda (11)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Breaking News
3 NAPD Contract
3 Project Beale

Asset (8)
2 Daily Business Show
3 Jackson Howard
3 PAD Campaign

Upgrade (3)
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (12)
2 Biotic Labor
2 Fast Track
3 Hedge Fund
2 Shipment from SanSan
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (6)
3 Eli 1.0
3 Wraparound

Code Gate (6)
1 Enigma
3 Pop-up Window
1 Quandary
1 Tollbooth

Sentry (3)
3 Architect

Runner:
Smash the Patriarchy (4.0) (47 cards)

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (23)
2 Deja Vu
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Inject
3 I’ve Had Worse
1 Knifed
1 Levy AR Lab Access
2 Lucky Find
1 Queen’s Gambit
1 Retrieval Run
1 Spooned
3 Sure Gamble
2 Wanton Destruction

Hardware (4)
3 Clone Chip
1 Grimoire

Resource (5)
2 Daily Casts
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (3)
1 Corroder
1 Mimic
1 ZU.13 Key Master

Program (12)
2 D4v1d
3 Datasucker
2 Imp
2 Medium
3 Parasite

It was just 5 rounds of swiss. Maxx went 4-1, NEH went 5-0. Only game I lost was the first game of the day as Maxx when I was up 6-0. Made a couple of mistakes and played better the rest of the day. I played against 3 HB:ETF Glaciery builds which this maxx deck tends to have problems with, but was able to pull through most of them. Highlight of those games was getting through Heimdall 1.0/Heimdall 1.0/Viktor 2.0 with 1 click, 2 D4vids and taking a brain to steal a efficiency commitee and get a lot of tempo as the corp dropped to like 3 credits. Was pretty happy with how the deck performed, as I had put in some more econ (2 daily casts) for grimoire/retrieval run. Was definitely the right call.

Corp side was NEH’s last hurrah. I got really good draws my first 4 games and just ran over everyone with astrotrain bullshit. (I think I beat El-Ad turn 5 or 6). NEH’s last game was my last game of the day and was an amazing game, best game of the day. It was against Chris Hinkes’ Silhouette (who had been sitting near me earlier in the day and I had heard him say, install S&W). I ended up winning with him having scored all 3 of my astros. On his last turn he accessed my HQ with 3 money and saw the NAPD contract I fast advanced for the win on my turn (Biotic/San San) with just enough money. It was the right play on his part, because I had installed San San in a 2 ice deep remote the turn before, and he couldn’t have taken a money without losing a chance to inside job the remote (he knew inner ice was quandry, and he had clicked through eli to get the hq access/expose on remote).

2 Likes

Ryan’s write-ups are done, I updated both deck list links to his published decks on NetrunnerDB.

Very cool Quetzal deck. Obviously you didn’t need the free 1 influence you gave up, but did you consider one of the Shards? Even Eden Shard might be good if Medium digs are your main win avenue. Congratz.

Not my deck mind you, but I was surprised to see his free influence point with no Shards in the deck. He was playing Leela with Utopia Shard when I played him at the beginning of Store Champ season back in January, so I know he knows how good they are. :smile:

Spoilers. 10char

It’s cute when your tech card is made irrelevant in the best possible matchup for it just because your opponent knows you’re playing it.

Here’s an interesting question, though: what’s your threshold to change Kati behavior if you don’t know for sure that your opponent is playing it?