Online Core-only learning tournament starts Nov. 12

Welcome to Stimhack Triple Core Tournament (STC 1)!

With new interest in the game, I wanted to start a tournament for players who want to try games using only Core 2.0.

This is learning-oriented event, but anyone may sign up. Whether you’ve been playing for 5 years or have never played an online game before, you are welcome to sign up. The more the merrier.

How will the tournament work?
This will be an online version of a regular FFG tournament with 4-6 weeks of Swiss pairings followed by a single elimination top cut. The number of Swiss rounds and the size of the top cut will be decided by regular FFG tournament guidelines for relaxed events. The top cut will be played in a best 2-of-3 games format.

Each Sunday night starting Nov 12, the tournament organizer will post pairings. Players will need to arrange games during the week and report results by the following Sunday. In other words, you will play one game per week.

All games will be played on Jinteki.net

Scoring will be standard with 3 points for a win. Players may not ID or two-for-one.

Policy Regarding Scheduling Conflicts
Pairings will be posted before midnight Eastern Time each week. Players should contact each other on Monday to arrange a time to play before the reporting deadline. (Remember, you will both Corp and Run.) If a player does not respond to initial attempts to contact within 24 hours, they will forfeit the games for the week. (I’ll need documentation of attempts to contact.)

If players cannot reach a mutually agreeable time to play despite sincere attempts on both ends, then I will enter the results as a 3-3 tie unless one player agrees to concede the match to the other.

If problems with Jinteki or other connection issues disrupt a game. Start over.

If problems with Jinteki or other connection issues prevent the conclusion of a match before the deadline, it will be entered as a 3-3 split unless one player concedes the match to the other.

How do I join?

To sign up, you will need a Slack account. That is the best way to arrange games. If you do not provide a Slack username, your entry will be invalid. If you do not have a Slack account, you can use this link.

The Slack channel for this tournament is #teaching_league.

NOTE: I hope people will use the Slack channel to help each other out with deck building ideas and questions about game play.

What are the deck building rules?
We will use standard deck building rules, but since the emphasis is on learning, you will be allowed to change your deck list and your IDs each round. You may stick to the same decks or change them each week as you like.

Legal card pool: You may only use cards in Core 2.0, but you may use up to 3 or any card in the Core set.

MWL 2.0 is in full effect for this tournament.

Where can I post my match results?
Use this Google Form to report the results of you games. Only one player needs to submit match results each week.

If you have any questions, please post here or over in the Slack channel.

Good luck and have fun.

4 Likes

We already have 20 players signed up!

If you are one of those, please feel free to head over to the teaching_league Slack channel and start talking and sharing ideas about decks. You might even organize a few practice games while you wait for the actual tournament to begin.

I’ll keep you posted as things develop this week.

1 Like

Still a couple of days to sign up.

First pairings will go up on Sunday.

The tournament will have 5 rounds of Swiss with a cut to a single-elimination Top 8.

I wanted to share a few reminders.

1. This is a learning tournament, so please help out new players and learning players. Many of our players will have never played Netrunner or never used Jinteki before.

2. We have players from vastly different time zones, so please be as flexible as you can be in scheduling games. Also, contact players as early in the week as you can. It is hard to schedule a game across the globe when you wait until Thursday to do so.

3. Have fun. Feel free to arrange non-tourney games in the Slack channel and to share and talk about deck-building ideas. Feel free to arrange opportunities to stream games. I’ve found leagues and tournaments are more fun when people can watch each other play.

Thanks for your participation. Good luck.

1 Like

Here are the pairings for the first round.

Some reminders:

1. Contact your opponent on Slack as soon as possible to arrange a game. Waiting will likely lead to no game being organized.

2. Please be as flexible as possible in arranging game times. Some of you live in different parts of the world.

3. You will play both sides (Runner/Corp). ONE player should report results of your match at this link. (A copy of the reporting link is also at the top of Slack channel.

4. All results are due by 5 p.m EST on Sunday, November 19.

Good luck and have fun.

arbalargachar arbalargachar
Hrage Hrage

Hammerdal Rocky
Callisto Callisto

rustyautoparts rustyautoparts
fgcsem4n fgcsem4n

_bald _bald
internet_potato internet_potato

44N 44N
Towellover42 Towellover42

Grizzle Grizz
Newt Newt

mbzrl mbzrl
mionisation mionsation

Muttwalrus MuttWalrus
Grosseteste grosseteste

BinkBonkle BinkBonkle
sighmon sighmon

zegrid zegrid
YankeeFlatline YankeeFlatline

Knin KNin
FightingWalloon FightingWalloon

FeyrBert FeyrBert
merkator merkator

mrmjb mrmjb
Barbrarian Barbrarian

stringtheory stringtheory
Aethusium Aethusium

Zzzman74 Zzzman74
loveless loveless

Abraxas black.iron.prison
SpaceIce SpaceIce

Seleos seleos
TJackhammer TJackhammer

Hoju_ca Hoju_ca
Lute LuteArrow

bombsofaugust bombsofaugust
wombat929 wombat929

BlackCherries BlackCherries
waxbanks waxbanks

jimmymcsnakes jimmymcsnakes
xXRobotWizardXx RobotWizard

Haway hiddenaway
Chriskg Chriskg

rubiximus rubiximus
dirtnoise dirtnoise

Neojko Neojko
Dyllan56 Dyllan56

3 Likes

Damn, I missed this cos I was away for a bit - gutted I can’t play. Looking forward to whatever comes next! :slight_smile:

Round One is over. Round Two pairings are below.

We had 6 players who did not file a game result or did not respond to their opponent and so were dropped from the tournament. Going forward, that problem should be eliminated, but do not forget to make contact for this week early and respond quickly when contacted. With Thanksgiving this week in the USA, scheduling might be a challenge for some.

Report all results for Round Two by 5 p.m. EST on Sunday, Nov. 26. Good luck and have fun!

Callisto Callisto
Knin KNin

SpaceIce SpaceIce
fgcsem4n fgcsem4n

Hoju_ca Hoju_ca
Grosseteste grosseteste

sighmon sighmon
Haway hiddenaway

merkator merkator
Barbrarian Barbrarian

Seleos seleos

mbzrl mbzrl

dirtnoise dirtnoise

Grizzle Grizz
Aethusium Aethusium

zegrid zegrid

Zzzman74 Zzzman74
Neojko Neojko

loveless loveless
wombat929 wombat929

Newt Newt
Dyllan56 Dyllan56

_bald _bald
BinkBonkle BinkBonkle

mionisation mionsation

FeyrBert FeyrBert
xXRobotWizardXx RobotWizard

mrmjb mrmjb
Hammerdal Rocky

Chriskg Chriskg

waxbanks waxbanks
TJackhammer TJackhammer

rubiximus rubiximus
3N1GM4 3N1GM4

Thanks, @FightingWalloon. As the tourney goes on, will the results / standings appear anywhere?

Yes. I’ll post a leader board. I was going to wait until round 3 to do that but seems like lots of interest, so I’ll do it after this round.

1 Like

ROUND 2 is complete. Here are the pairings for ROUND 3. (I have dropped players who are not responding to scheduling attempts or skip out on games. I am playing on in rounds where my participation avoids having to have a bye.)

SpaceIce SpaceIce

mbzrl mbzrl
Callisto Callisto

Haway hiddenaway
Hoju_ca Hoju_ca

Seleos seleos

zegrid zegrid
Newt Newt

Barbrarian Barbrarian

fgcsem4n fgcsem4n
merkator merkator

Grizzle Grizz
3N1GM4 3N1GM4

sighmon sighmon
Knin KNin

Neojko Neojko

dirtnoise dirtnoise
wombat929 wombat929

Zzzman74 Zzzman74
Grosseteste grosseteste

loveless loveless
Aethusium Aethusium

FeyrBert FeyrBert

TJackhammer TJackhammer

_bald _bald

Hammerdal Rocky
mionisation mionsation

mrmjb mrmjb

BinkBonkle BinkBonkle
rubiximus rubiximus

waxbanks waxbanks

Please report the results of this round by 5 p.m. EST on Sunday, December 3.

Please report all results to the Google Doc, even if the result is a no show by one player.

GL HF

The Always Be Running page for this tournament has been created now.

Log on and register on the page. You will be able to claim your spots, link to your decks, and upload videos from the tournament there.

1 Like

PAIRINGS FOR ROUND FOUR

PLEASE REMEMBER: Contact your opponent ASAP. Even a short message on Sunday or Monday can help avoid a scheduling crisis at the end of the week.

Good luck and have fun.

Results are due by 5 p.m. EST on Sunday, December 10.

mbzrl mbzrl

Hoju_ca Hoju_ca
SpaceIce SpaceIce

Haway hiddenaway
merkator merkator

Barbrarian Barbrarian

Seleos seleos
zegrid zegrid

Zzzman74 Zzzman74

Newt Newt
3N1GM4 3N1GM4

Callisto Callisto
BinkBonkle BinkBonkle

sighmon sighmon

Knin KNin
Hammerdal Rocky

loveless loveless
dirtnoise dirtnoise

wombat929 wombat929

FeyrBert FeyrBert
Aethusium Aethusium

mrmjb mrmjb
TJackhammer TJackhammer

Neojko Neojko

Grizzle Grizz
_bald _bald

Grosseteste grosseteste

mionisation mionsation
rubiximus rubiximus

waxbanks waxbanks

As usual, @FightingWalloon, thanks for putting this together (even if my shoddy play has earned my spot at the ass-end of the list). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks. I hope the games are fun even if the wins are hard to come by.

1 Like

Here we go on the final round of Swiss.

Please contact your opponent as early in the week as possible.

NO Intentional Draws or Two-for-Ones allowed.

GL HF

Results due by 5 p.m. Eastern on Sunday, December 17. Top cut will begin as soon as all games reported for this week.

mbzrl mbzrl
SpaceIce SpaceIce

3N1GM4 3N1GM4
merkator merkator

Barbrarian Barbrarian

loveless loveless

Seleos seleos
Hoju_ca Hoju_ca

Zzzman74 Zzzman74
sighmon sighmon

Haway hiddenaway
Aethusium Aethusium

zegrid zegrid
BinkBonkle BinkBonkle

Callisto Callisto
_bald _bald

mrmjb mrmjb

Knin KNin

Hammerdal Rocky
Grosseteste grosseteste

wombat929 wombat929
TJackhammer TJackhammer

Newt Newt

FeyrBert FeyrBert
mionisation mionsation

Grizzle Grizz

rubiximus rubiximus
waxbanks waxbanks

2 Likes

Just finished what will surely be my last round of play, and wanted to say thanks to @FightingWalloon for arranging this event, and to all my competitors for some truly enjoyable games of Netrunner. Thanks so much.

4 Likes

Thanks for playing! Good luck and have fun in your other games.

1 Like

Also from me, thanks @FightingWalloon for putting this together! This was super helpful to learn the game and the core card pool inside out. I especially liked how after each game everyone would take a couple minutes to dissect what happened!

1 Like

Swiss is complete. Here are the final rankings.

The Top Cut works like this. Matches will be best-of-three. Top seed gets to choose side for the first game. After that, loser chooses side. First player to win twice moves on. The Top Cut is single elimination.

Once all the first round games are complete, we will move on to the second, and so on.

PAIRINGS

Merkator (1) v. BinkBonkle (8)
Barbrarian (4) v. BlackCherries (5)

mbzrl (3) v. loveless (6)
SpaceIce (2) v. Seleos (7)

Good luck and have fun!

We move on to Round 2 of the Top Cut.

Merkator (1) v. Barbrarian (4)

SpaceIce (2) v. Loveless (6)

Same procedure. Best-of-three games when the match. Top seed gets to pick the side for first match. Loser gets to pick for each match after that as needed.

Good luck.

I know it is the holiday season, but please do your best to get these games played quickly so we can set the final match.

1 Like