Rebooting the Mentorship Program!

Hello everyone!

There’s been interest recently in doing a mentorship program again, so I thought I’d try to organize one to help out our newer players find help to get better. Back in the day (it was 3 years ago, how time flies) the Official Stimhack Netrunner Mentor Program helped me a lot in improving and also to build long-lasting friendships in the community, so I really think this is something worth doing.

What I’d like from you my fellow runner is if you are looking to learn or have the capacity to teach, please post in this thread.

• For mentees: For example f you want to learn basic strategy, are doing good but want to jump to the next level or are perhaps curious about a specific strategy or matchup, those and more are all fine.
  • For mentors: if you are comfortable with spending time to help another player improve, that’s all I’m asking for. Topics, capacity and methods are up to however you feel like helping out. For a couple of tips on how to do learning sessions there’s another thread with a few comments: A Mentorship Program Corollary - Methods of Teaching - #2 by RJay

The plan is that after a while (let’s go with end of Sunday this week for start, but will see based on responses if we need more time) I will pair mentees and mentors based on timezone, capacity and needs. Once the pairings are done and posted it will be up to the pairs to figure out how to go on.

In my personal experience doing a session talking through lines while playing on Jinteki.net once or twice a week is helpful, but if you want to do a weekend-long workshop, play every evening or something else, it’s up to you. I’m just asking the mentors to figure out a plan with the mentee and please stick to it.

Your posts should follow this format:
Role: Are you wanting to be a mentor or a mentee?
Time zone: Will try to match people so they are roughly in the same timezone. For work and sleep schedules to match up :slight_smile:
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes/No
Languages: If you have a preferred language, feel free to write it here, might help matching up people with the same preference.
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: I know you lot are really humble, but try to write something about what you feel your strengths are as a mentor (fundamental skills, Shaper decks, making meta calls, deckbuilding, anything) and as a mentee try to have a specific idea of what you are trying to improve in (how to sniff out agendas, how to build better decks, how to handle asset decks) or even a goal you are trying to achieve (make top cut in a local event, make memes good enough to get Deck of the Week on NRDB, etc).

If you want to be both mentor and mentee, no one is stopping you, just either make two posts or be clear in your post that you want to be both.

Thank you in advance for anyone offering to help!

9 Likes

As I had already mentioned in the Slack, I’d be happy to join as a mentor!

Role: Mentor
Time zone: Typically in the evening GMT+1
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes
Languages: English, German
Particular expertise: Taking somewhat janky builds and making them work in a competitive environment (at least when I get the meta calls right…), general fundamentals, theorycrafting for alternate card pools.

Glad you’re doing this, lets get some people up to speed and into top cuts!

Role: mentor
Timezone: GMT+1 (MEST)
voice chat: Absolutely. Why did I buy an expensive mic if not for this?
Areas of expertise: I believe I have reasonably strong fundamentals and a good grasp on the meta and how to adapt decks to (beat) it. I don’t really build new decks. My teaching method comes from the dark souls school of thought: Let people make mistakes and ask them what they think went wrong.

Thanks a lot @percomis for restarting this, right after our Slack discussion :slight_smile:

Role: mentee
Timezone: GMT+1
voice chat: Yep!
Languages: English, French
Improvement focus: I am too careful, I don’t take enough risks. Your standard durdle player who needs triple safety checks all the time and therefore pretty much lets the opponent dictate the tempo. Not saying this is my only problem, but I’d like to improve this specifically. Probably by becoming better at reading the current board state to better weigh the risks of b o l d moves ^^

Role: mentor (always learning anyway)
Time zone: GMT+1
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes (Discord, etc.)
Languages: English, Polish
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: fundamentals: basics of iterative deckbuilding, general game flow, tweaking decks from NetrunnerDB, jnet etiquette, bluffing; Shaper, Anarch, Weyland, Jinteki, HB (I can play all the other factions too, but I’m not that good at them)

Contacting me: send me a PM here or via stimslack (@Vesper there)

I’m definitely up for this… cos I’m average at this game. Will happily teach some n00bs though

Role: both
Timezone: GMT
Voice chat: Yes
Languages: English
Where I need to improve: Spotting risks (runner), spotting/making scoring windows (corp), not picking terrible decks (both)

What I can teach: Shaper Bullshit. Shapers almost always have options, and my best skill is spotting those lines. Happy to set some puzzles along the lines of “here is the board state, how do you pull this off?”

Role: Mentee
Time zone: GMT
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes (Discord, Twitch)
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: Runner specifically. I’ve only mainly played Hayley Shaper, and struggle calculating runs early - mid game. I also seem to have a habit of dying to deep R+D runs, or other kill forks (Punitive, HPT). My Corp games seem to have a significantly better win rate. Note: Although I have specifically mentioned Hayley Shaper, I am open to other decks to improve my overall play style!

Role: Mainly mentee, but see below :slight_smile:
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise:

As a mentee I want to mainly focus on improving my ability to formulate a game plan and on my technical play. Too often I feel I lose to obvious ‘gotchas’ or my game plan emerges a little too late. I think my runner game is weaker than my corp and I don’t apply early pressure as well as I could. I’d also love to expand to play archetypes I struggle with or don’t play much, including more horizontal corp strategies and more technical runners. On the deck building side I’d love to learn how to better compose an ice suite. It might be a stretch, but I’d love to make a cut at a nats or higher event (as a goal).

I’m not sure I have as much to offer on the mentor side, on a regular basis, but I feel I have a pretty good grasp of current meta, competitive decks and match-ups (I go to and watch a lot of tournaments) and would be happy to provide advice along the lines of ‘what deck should I play?’, ‘is this tech card worth it?’, ‘what should I expect to play against?’ etc. This might be a bit more limited to U.K. meta as I know things vary a lot between countries.

Role: mentee
Timezone: GMT, typically available mid-late evening most days.
voice chat: Yes
Areas of expertise: Long time player, learnt by osmosis. I have variable results and usually end up in the middle third of the field, with a few outliers in both directions. Tend to over focus and not apply pressure correctly (or at all). Over careful against some threats and way too loose with others. Also tend to not pay attention to my opponents board state when I corp. Know how to construct reasonable decks, and enjoy limited formats (e.g. SOCR). Want to formalize my gut knowledge, improve my consistency, and get tips on how to focus correctly. Goal to make top cuts.

Time zone: GMT +1, but I am working shift hours, so I am irregularly available
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: I find it pretty hard to nail down my strengths and weaknesses. I am a technical player, relying much more on efficiency and clean gameplay than unexpected moves and yomi. I also like theorycrafting, but I am a subpar deck builder. If you want samples of me talking about Netrunner, you can listen to the podcast Dominic and I make (you can find it at https://thenochfunfzehnerminuten.podbean.com/ ; most episodes are german, but 11 and 16 are in english). This will probably give you more insight about me than my attempts to characterise myself :sweat_smile:
My mentoring is flexible, I would play games with you (against each other or together against someone else), watch and commentate replays or just talk about things that interest you. I definitely like Labbes’ approach of not giving lectures, but a instead offering a dialogue where we talk about things you want to improve.

Timezone: EST
Voice Chat: Yes (Discord)
Areas to focus on: Figuring out what decks to play, general Runner play, understanding the meta/card pool.

Played a reasonable amount back in the Prepaid Kate era, and for brief periods since then. Would like to get back into things but been having a fair bit of trouble on Jinteki, especially as Runner.

Languages: German, English

Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: Played my first few games in 2014 (two person meta - my wife and me). In 2015 I met Ricardo (onedayyou). He was my first mentor and took me to my first tournament - a regional. Since then I organized quite some Netrunner tournaments (GNK, SC, 3 regionals).

My own successes at tournaments were always meager. Mostly lower third of the field.

I want to get some deck building skills. Need some practice with „meta-decks“ to better understand them, to be prepared for the next tournaments.

Languages: English, Spanish
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: I need more practice doing icebreakers maths and try to make better decisions and pressure as a runner. I tend to overthink every move because I don’t know how to play against most of the corp archetypes. With the corp I like to improve at making scoring windows and ice selection. Also, on both sides, I would like to play outside my comfort zone (Anarch-Jinteki).

**Role:**Mentee
**Languages:**Dutch/English
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: Improving my game. Used to play shaper but wanna try Minifactions. I make a lot of mistakes by not thinking enough. Also need help to improve my deckbuilding. Have troubles with judging cards.

I disagree that you have little to offer as a mentor. I’d love to meet up to go through some fundamentals (I mean me learning fundamentals from you) if we could ever make that work.

1 Like

Role : Mentee
Timezone : EST
Voice Chat : Yes
Languages : English
Areas to focus on : Basically everything. I fell in love with the theme and style of play of netrunner last year but never found anyone to play with. Always felt a little too intimidated going into an established group at a game store. So I am totally new outside of having read the learn to play and watched some YouTube videos.

Ok, let’s make that happen! I’ll be in touch when I’m back from hols.

1 Like

Role: mentor
Time zone: CET, in the evening
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes, Discord, Skype, Slack
Languages: German (want to support our local language), English of course
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: Call it fundamentals, I was thinking of signing up as mentee, but usually you learn a lot when teaching, so I’m up for this.
Play a lot of Glacier, like some aggro decks, like shaper and I’m a Nexus fanboy.

Timezone: GMT
voice chat: Prefer not as poor quality, but can if deal breaker
Languages: English,
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise I’ve been playing the game a long time and have taught a lot of players to go from “Learned the rules” up to “Mid level strategy” . I have been exposed to the teaching of a lot of the best players in the game. I’m probably not the best person for keeping up with the absolute top of the meta, but I usually have a reasonable grounding in it.
I do want to note that there are mentees above who are at least as strong as I am. Byt Percomis was after mentors of all levels!

Name: Rufus Eyre-Varnier
Other alias’: rusefus
Able to use Voice Chat?: Yes, but I don’t really do it much so we’ll have to walk-through it a bit the first time.
Area where you think you need to improve or area where you think you have some particular expertise: Deck-building, Rush Corps, Fundamentals, Calculated Risk-taking. My general Corp expertise involve playing Corps that build an early advantage and use it to finish the game before the Runner can comfortably set up. For Runners, I have experience playing all factions and have an understanding of Factions strengths and weaknesses and can advise how to alter decklists with relevant tweaks and tech to get the best performance out of your preferred Runner.