[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

Plus, she’s one of Almighty Zeilinger’s fave pieces he created.

1 Like

Hayley’s text reads “the first time you install a program,” and the SMC’d program during Stimhack is technically the second program, so I don’t think you’d get to use Hayley at all then. Probably have to wait for the Stimhack to resolve. Or, naturally, trigger Hayley before the Stimhack.

2 Likes

Or, as I understood hhooo, smc was already installed a turn prior before you used test run. With that scenario you could test run, stimhack, smc install, install from grip all in one click and with stimhack funds for both installs.

1 Like

Huh? Then what program did Test Run install? And still, the Test Ran program is the first program installed that turn, so that’s the install that would trigger Hayley.

Anything installed from an SMC’s paid ability would come after that, and is irrelevant.

(Edit, adding on)
What I think we’re seeing is that Hayley and Stimhack are amazing on their own, without any help from Comet. If SMC is installed on a prior turn, Stimhack can pay for both the SMC’d program and a program from the grip. Same can go with hardware from Personal Workshop, but that’s a bit silly.

This may be an excellent solution to Hayley’s econ problem: give her the full “college experience” with 3 Stimhacks. With just SMCs and her ability, Hayley can leverage Stimhack money more fluidly than CT with her personal workshops.

I’m not even sure if Comet is right for her. Astrolabe’s cheap install cost is better for Hayley, and she needs cards more than she needs to play multiple events.

2 Likes

Here’s the Kate deck I played in the SSCI. It went 9-2 throughout the event. I like an RDI over an Indexing in glacier match ups. Clot is insanely good and should be included unless the meta is 10% NEH or less. Utopia could be cut for a third Day Job, second Stimhack, or Datasucker depending on your preference. I like having one Plascrete because SE decks are still prevalent enough. One Lady is enough, I never found myself lacking counters.

PPVP Kate w/ Clot SSCI 3rd place

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (22)
2x Day Job (Order and Chaos) ••
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) ••
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
2x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
1x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
1x Stimhack (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (10)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)
1x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (3)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains)

Icebreaker (6)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
2x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Mimic (Core Set)
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)

Program (4)
1x Clot (The Valley) ••
1x Parasite (Core Set) ••
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Valley

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

(Real men play 45 cards)

8 Likes

The variance still plays a role, regardless of whether you see your whole deck since there is still measurable effect on the probability that you see card X at click T. More so, a 46th card adds more variance than a 61st. E.g. the probability that you’re holding a PPVP in your opening hand decreases by about half a percent. If we were to chart average credit pools between 45 and 46 card decks we would probably see the 46 card deck lagging behind slightly. Now, it’s possible that the deck is fairly insensitive to such a difference, but there is also the possibility that such a lag can have a butterfly effect due to how scoring windows work.

@bblum

Your feature game was just quite atypical and should not be used as evidence. I modelled your accesses very precisely using an agnostic model that I just recently developed (viewing accesses from the perspective of the runner without the “eye of God” spectator advantage). You “found” 5 agendas when my modelling predicts 7.15, so you were actually quite unlucky in that game.

1 Like

Really like this list, Joe. My only concern with it is that it seems like you’re putting a of expectation on your two SMC by only running one Lady. My favorite part about the 2 dog/2 cycy version is that you can expect to naturally draw a couple of breakers, which lessened the need for the 3rd SMC. Adding Clot and cutting a dog makes me feel like the plas could become a 3rd SMC.

And congratulations, great showing.

4 Likes

Don’t you think the amount of variance in how many agendas a given number of accesses will see is much higher than the variance that a 46th card adds to your opening hand? I’d rather take a tiny chance on bad starting hand than subject myself to the whims of the corp’s R&D by playing fewer multiaccess cards, which you’d expect to be “just enough” on an average or better game but fall short on an unlucky game. I play the 4th R&D multiaccess card and the 2nd SOT because they’re insurance that even when RNJesus frowns on me, I can still win.

I do appreciate the mathematical approach. But it’s fallacious (and rather ironic) to dismiss an unlucky game as an invalid example because it was “atypical”, when mitigating variance is precisely what we’re arguing about. In this example, my 46th card decreased my variance.

4 Likes

Comet has anti-synergies with Hayley. To maximize Comet you want events in your hand, to maximize Hayley you want installable cards in hand. If you don’t have an insane hand limit, you will not be able to fire them both off very often.

If you want more click-compression with Hayley. run a resource variant with all-nighters instead of comet. This will convert her ability to actual clicks.

As I see it, stealth is the most logical choice for her, since it has lots of small cheap pieces you need to assemble. A protege build might also work, with one-shot breakers.

1 Like

Does the Test Run resolve after SMC is installed, or at the same time?

installation of SMC completes during the test run. So Hayleys ability will fire before comets.

1 Like

You can play a ton of resources and a ton of events with a smattering of breakers/SMC and make use of her ability just fine. QT -> trigger comet to play “resource Modded” -> resource installed triggers Hayley to let you drop another resource. Draw 5 and drop two resources for a total cost of one click and the printed cost of the resources is really strong.

You can also go the Game Day/Beach Party or Public Sympathy route. Game Day being a double is offset by Comet and Hayley, and the fact that it can draw 4-9 cards for one cred.

It’s going to take a while to hash out the best decks for her.

2 Likes

Of course you can, but then you have many moving pieces which needs to be installed in the right order to be efficient. Not saying it is impossible, but I don’t think it will be the best build for her.

But even with gameday/Beach party, comet and Hayley are anti-synergistic. Also, beach party slows down Hayley, which seems a bit counterproductive.

Aesop/Armitage/Beach Party could be reasonable. Aesop econ, use Beach party to swing a few game days, pitch it for 3 creds, etc.

The key to Hayley is going to lie in the rulings on timing windows regarding Test Run/Modded/Stimhack/etc. Being able to play events that install as well is where the power turns and the real appeal to play her are. If you’re just going for a touch of click efficiency I feel like Kate or CT will be better usually. We’ll see.

1 Like

Why do we need rulings about them? If you install a program during an event it will trigger Hayleys ability before the event has fully resolved. So comet will trigger after the double install.

2 Likes

Pshaw, Beach Party is obviously an Anarch card that just mis-colored in the final stages of production :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

On a side note, I wish the art of beach party was more in-universe. The art would be really cool with, say, Andy, Kate, and Reina Roja rocking bathing suits while playing volleyball or something. Throw a few guys into the mix - Gabriel and Exile talk shop while Valencia and Hayley get a tan in the background.

I always think it’s interesting seeing our runners on other cards, and seeing them busy with things outside of running could be interesting and give a glimpse into their personality.

1 Like

Out of that list, Haley is the only one I could even imagine going to a beach party!

Notable omissions on your list, however, include The Professor and, most notably, Whizzard (assuming the wifi is reasonable there).

Edit: MaxX could also possibly attend… strictly ironically, of course.

3 Likes

You see? I don’t know anyone’s personality other than a few lines on a few cards. Some opportunities like thus to try and flesh out the runners a bit more with art is something I would hope FFG would jump on.

1 Like

Noise would be up for it I think.

3 Likes