Siskel and Ebert Ruin The Meta: Film Critic Discussion

Probably. Maybe. There’s enough gray area that FFG can take the card whichever way they want it to go. In absence of a ruling, it’s probably better for us to go with this plan though, where you can’t cycle agendas through without scoring them.

We don’t know that Glen Station works that way. I don’t believe the question has ever been asked.

When someone raised this query about Film Critic on netrunners.co.uk, I was all ‘aha, Glenn station works the same, there must be a ruling already!’ then I googled it and realised Glenn Station sees so little play nobody seems to have bothered getting a ruling on it :confused:

While I think it is prudent to get a ruling. I can’t think of any reason to believe that it’s possible to host an agenda on a Film Critic that is already hosting an agenda.

2 Likes

Seems fine in a deck with nothing but Government Takeover and Vanity Project, but yeah; It’s an agenda no one has really taken to. It’d be a very interesting one-of-only 3/2 or 2/1. Different discussion, though. Or even 5/3 if it had some other trigger associated with hosting something.

The only thing I know could happen that’d be weird with Glenn would be Turn Tabling it when it’s hosting something. Text would go inactive and the card it’s hosting would be trashed since it can’t host anything anymore. But, it’s not relevant aside from showing where the card would go if hosting wasn’t possible anymore for a card it was hosting.

I’ve been using it in a deck with The Source and other connections. I really think the Calling In Favors deck might finally be a thing. It beat up on Argus, made RP an actual fair match. Popping the Source off of street peddler is awesome, too.

Merged from: Film Critic Is Real

Metashakeup - Not sky is falling.

Played against @cranked last night and had my first peak at the card in action. It compliment’s Kate’s run only when she wants too mentality and really makes the central dig against Jinteki decks work again. While I thought it’d be better to just pay for NAPD, I think it turns out it’s better to have the cash reserves for running. You just look at the double click on film critic as making back your 4 bucks you would have spent on NAPD and it all works out. So, it’s like mandatory OPUS at some point after having seen NAPD. And, more importantly, TFP isn’t as much of a threat. And more annoyingly, on score abilities really are done as soon as you see it in play.

I’m not sure where critic will be best. It seems medium decks will love it; but Kate loves it too. As a connection, it’s even playable in criminal at 1 inf.

I think Jinteki “can’t touch this” decks are going to go on the decline, not disappear; but it’s probably the right call to avoid leaning too hard on these cards. I think they’ll still be good in rush. It’s just that those longer game plans aren’t going to be as powerful.

Ding Dong, RP stubbed its toe. And you can probably replace midseasons replacements with something else, now.

Similar experiences, anyone?

Corporate Town (Which toybox can rez) and Contract Killer seem like the best answers. But answers for answers, not a great strategy. Probably better to shift.

Snatch and Grab too, yeah? If you can hit it immediately after they load an agenda, you are better off than if they had just paid the 4.

I’ve tried Corporate Town with Toybox, and it didn’t work well for me.

1 Like

Snatch and grab is a good call; So long as you can get a credit lead or make paying into the trace unattractive.

Probably because toybox is not a good card outside of draft. I wonder if it had been only 2 clicks with maybe a credit cost? Maybe would have been more valuable.

I’m interested in this point. My feeling not having played against it is that RP suffers more than Midseason because Midseason is often an early/midgame threat anyway. By the late game, the runner is usually rich enough and close enough to winning that Midseason isn’t going to fire. The Midseason is there to keep the aggression off early. How many copies does Shaper run? 2? I can’t see any other faction running more than that.

RP, however, is going to suffer because nabbing 3 points out of RnD/HQ is a solid way to end the game vs them, especially on a Medium dig or suchlike. Frequently the issue is that centrals feel really fruitless on the last three turns of the game and the remote is locked. Now, central hail mary runs are much more likely to end in a win if you’ve been able to steal basically any points earlier.

I think Butchershop might particularly have issues because their fall back plan if Midseason kill doesn’t work is hampered by Clot, which is going right in the same decks that are running Film Critic. Yellow Flash is possible a more interesting interaction because it pushes the Midseason threat earlier in the game and could possibly outrace Film Critic? I’m not sure, though.

I, personally, am going off Midseason and onto yellow rush when D&D arrives, but I think that NBN has counterplay available that RP doesn’t.

1 Like

I think vs any NBN deck, you’ll get film critic down early. I’d run 2-3 in shaper depending on how necessary it was for my plan. Leaning heavily towards 2. If NBN tries to just lay down a bunch of agendas to outrace your ability to click your agendas into your hand, I think you just cycle the agendas through the critic and don’t worry about scoring them. In this way, it functions like imp. But even against other NBN decks, it’ll be good just to keep your creds up early if you see an NAPD.

In criminal, I expect it to show up in logos/hostage decks as a 1-of. In an off campus deck, potentially as a 2-of.
Anarch probably doesn’t run it because they already have imp.
Shaper, I would expect it from now on.

FC testing is in full effect here since gencon, and I think these assesments are spot on- it’s not a sky is falling situation, but it definitely feels strong against many of the current strongest decks. TFP has been the power-behind-the-throne of RP for a long time and this card stabs it right in the back. It doesn’t nullify the deck at all, just gives you a plan B beyond “always draw right and be rich and win every psi game”

So far it hasn’t been shaking up my Yellow Flash game too much- instead of desperately racing for credits while I score agendas, they’re desperately digging for FC, either way I’m rushing agendas same as always. a one-of Snatch-n-grab helps out as well.

3 Likes

Also, presumably the agenda just goes to archives if you do trash film critic, so it’s not like its totally safe at that point as it is a known agenda in archives, which the corp has to have protection for, either via popping Jackson immediately (which can be problematic) or protecting with enough ICE to dissuade or stop the run completely, which thins out ICE density over the other, typically more valuable servers. In any event, it puts the corp into a reactive damage control mode which is never where they want to be.

edit: Also, wow, what a run-on sentence, I am so sorry to all my English teachers for breaking your hearts…

3 Likes

Do we have a final say on how Hosting works with this during multiple agenda hits?

If most are correct, you able to host the second agenda you find and toss the previous one in the bin.

If my Corp straw-reaching is true, Film Critic is ‘full’ after the first agenda and can’t host new agendas.

The problem is that the “single host” and access trigger are in separate paragraphs. So the abilities aren’t tied together and the second one will always trigger when you access something that triggers it. There’s no conditional on “not hosting an agenda already”. So, when you host the second agenda, you have to trash the first by the constant rule.

Thanks. That ultimately feels right and strong. I’ve been having a lot of fun with Hayley Professor and Nasir with Film Critic. No longer do I have to run 3x Plascrete because Midseasons was a guaranteed thing due to low econ rigs.

There is no rule for allowing the trashing of the hosted card on Film Critic, so if an agenda is on there, there is no way to replace it short of spending the two clicks to empty it first.

This is incorrect. The hosting of the agenda on Film Critic is optional. So when you try to host it, the game state would stop you at an illegal action and you would be unable to use Film Critic’s optional ability, which means the “no longer being access and is uninstalled” part never triggers.

6 Likes

That’s a very good argument for why it wouldn’t work. It’s kind of like over installing a console. May be correct. We’ll find out from a twitter ruling i suppose

2 Likes

i’ve said in other threads, but a great way to shift around Film Critic (instead of finding a direct answer) is to run more currents.

another side effect of the agenda never being stolen (we see everyone focus on Punitive, Midseasons, ambush agendas, etc.) is that currents won’t get turned off from a FC score.

there are plenty of interesting corp currents actually. if you’re Argus, and they turn off your ability, you can at least run Housekeeping or something. everyone can run Lag Time at the very least, making runs much more taxing.

on the runner side of this, it helps keep things like New Angeles City Hall (that glowing review helped keep your reputation in tact i guess), and The Source in play longer. will it be worth playing them? not sure, but it’s an interesting prospect.

the great thing about The Source and Film Critic is how much FC complements TS, getting past the increased cost to steal and the downside of being trashed as soon as an agenda is stolen. i think i’ve already decided to take Clot out of my Kate decks for a second Legwork (because i sorely missed it), but i think a swap for Clot for The Source in prepaid Kate might not be a completely terrible idea.

being trashed as soon as an agenda is stolen is still a huge draw back though, so it might end up still being a pretty terrible card after all is said and done. it would definitely need to revolve around a strategy of sniping agendas out of remotes. for Kate, it might just be a ‘win more’ card.

I like Source in Adam on account of Dr. Lovegood (though in all it is a bit contrived), but the poor sap might have trouble even fitting Critics in case the Dr is out.

Is there a chance that Ghost Branch might come back as a way to stick lots of tags on the runner in NBN or Weyland? We can always Back Channels to benefit from the bluff.

If you’re diligent about pulling the agenda off FC, it can almost neutralize Haarpsichord’s ability.