Smoke and Mirrors -- A Scovak Thread

Congratulations, you managed to guess the exact cuts I made for the prepaids (and I somehow thought that I did have Maker’s Eye in there). You’re probably right that it’d be better that way.

You play Inti and a Lady. Most games right now you won’t need anything beyond Inti. You can run a CC or Scavenge to reset Lady for the ETF match-up.

You’ll need way more than just 8 tokens to deal with HB. If the only things you’re hitting when you play are Vanilla and Wraparound, then there’s no reason not to just play Inti. I appreciate building your deck for the meta, but if I tried to do that around here I’d hit Eli-Heimdall-Eli servers until I died from brain damage.

For better or worse, I try to build for complete coverage even if certain decks are under-represented in the meta. I’m not saying that makes my decks “better” in any way, it arguably makes them worse, but that’s how I frame my ideas and arguments about what to include. Thought that might give some context around why I like those certain things in my deck.

I even still include meat damage protection even though I haven’t seen scorched in half a year. :wink:

2 Likes

Well in deck building it is all about what you expect to see, and what your outs are. In general I agree with the 1 inti + 1 Lady breaker suite, that said my atman is going to be set at 4 against HB. If you are seeing a lot of Weyland (for whatever reason) inti is bad, as soon as they realize that is your main breaker their Ice wall is going to get advanced so it costs 3 instead of 1 to break.

For that server (Eli > Heimdall > Eli) the costs are:

• Inti - 17 (8 + 7 + 2)
  • Lady - 8 (2 + 4 + 2) uses the whole lady
  • Snowball - 13 (5 + 6 + 2)
  • Blackstone - 10 (5 + 3 + 2) including 1 stealth credit (same cost for heimdall 2.0)
  • Corroder - 15 (4 + 7 + 4)

If you are seeing these type of servers often, the answer is drop the ladies use surfer and click thru the eli :wink:

1 Like

Good thing nobody plays Heimdall 1.0.

Heimdall 2 gets played occasionally though, and that’s also str 7.

Heim 1 is pretty danged good, though, so that’s a shame.

With NRE Inti is actually enough against Weyland, at least right now. Meru has dropped off a bit so you just need to cover Vanilla, Spiderweb, and the occasional Bailiff. That’s my view of the meta, anyway. With BoN getting toyed with, Ice Wall may come back so relying on Inti against Weyland could become unreasonable.

I almost like playing one non-stealth breaker in stealth decks, because if you just go all-in on stealth, you can really tax your stealth credits. Plus, the deeper you go on Stealth the slower the setup is going to be.

One of the reasons I kinda like Blackstone isn’t because it’s a stealth Fracter that can replace Lady or Corroder in current lists, but because it’s an in-faction, good cost-to-strength option for stealth in the Fracter slot. This kinda sounds like I just said I don’t like it and like it for the same reasons, but let me elaborate. I like it because it opens other slots up for the non-stealth slot rather than just have the Fracter slot be the non-stealth slot. Specifically, it opens up the Decoder slot (since Killers are generally awkward and inefficient in odd ways, it almost always makes sense to have your Killer be a stealth breaker in order to not have to deal with that BS).

Honestly, I kinda want to throw Cyber Cyphers in the stealth deck. They’re some of the most efficient breakers printed, and though they have the downside of only working on 1 server, there’s plenty of ways around that. I guess the real issue with that is having memory for 2 of them while also fielding Cloaks. But as long as we’re running stealth breakers because of the efficiency provided, and working off the assumption that it’s better to have one of your breakers be a non-stealth breaker for speed and to alleviate stealth credit tax, Cyber seems to be a pretty good fit efficiency-wise.

Either way, I really do like the fact that we’re no longer really pigeon-holed into having the normie breaker be the Fracter.

2 Likes

CyCy loses a good amount of its appeal without running Lady as well, and Scavenge to keep everything in good working order. Escher could be enough to keep things in line though, and is good with stealth either way.

I don’t think blackstone is even really a stealth breaker most of the time. Playing a NRE/Sucker and there are zero barriers that see common play save Curtain Wall that it ever needs to pump to break. I really doubt it will ever heavily burden someone’s stealth pool.

3 Likes

You bring up a good point… 3 strength contains the vast majority of the Barriers played atm. Maybe it’s just good to throw it in and pretend it’s not stealth except for the small amount of time when it is =P

1 Like

Actually yeah - I think it’s just like a barrier Mimic, but with the option to get you out of terrible Sandburg situations.

1 Like

Would Smoke with Lady/CyCy/Scavenge be @Calimsha Smoke?

My planned build is similar to a lot of the builds here were some small, but I think significant tweaks.

Reg-Ass E-Cig
Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net (Intervention)

Event (14)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
1x Rumor Mill (Blood Money) ●●
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (4)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ☆☆
1x Mirror (23 Seconds)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (13)
1x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Ghost Runner (The Spaces Between)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
1x Symmetrical Visage (The Valley)
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) ●●●●●●

Icebreaker (6)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains) ☆☆
2x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Dagger (Creation and Control)

Program (3)
1x Medium (Core Set) ●●●
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

11 influence spent (max 15-4☆=11, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Blood Money
Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

First, I’d like to say that I am on the side that says Reg-Ass with a Dagger is the way to go with her. The deck size is just too small and you don’t want to waste precious Stealth credits on multiple Stealth breakers. Dagger is just one of the best Sentry options available, forget just the best Stealth card, so it easily wins the slot. Refractor is a sad exclude but, like I said, supporting two Stealth breakers isn’t something I think you have space for. Blackstone… is shit, you guys.

Since I don’t think we want to run two Stealth breakers, I think the classic Atman/CyCy/Lady mix is definitely one of the most efficient set to fill out your suite. As noted by others, you need a healthy amount of Scavenge to make that work and maybe some Clone Chip. I think 2x Clone, 2x Scavenge with 2x Same Old Thing and 1x Levy makes this pretty workable.

Rumor Mill is just better than Political Operative, I think. Since other people were thinking about only going 1x on that too, I figured why not free up an Influence and pack in something that we could recur? You can just pop it down to blank that Caprice or Ash when you go to check the remote, and they have to respect it still if it is in your heap and you have SOT (SOT, Mill, Run).

I think Mirror gives you synergy on your R&D digs. I’m not sold on it yet, but I like the extra memory because you can have double-Lady or double-CyCy and the rest of your suite (including Medium) up at the same time. That said, since I am not running Cloak it might not be worth it? Anyway, 1x because it’s not strictly necessary.

Maker’s is in there to speed up your deep dig into R&D and add an extra solid target for SOT. Another thing I think a deck like this wants to do is win quickly off R&D, so any extra access we can put in probably makes it that much faster.

I’d like to maybe find an Influence for 1x Datasucker to go with Atman, but I don’t want to lose the Rumor Mill. It remains to be seen if adjusting her Strength is more important. NRE is a solid idea, which I saw further upthread, but honestly a lot of your suite is so efficient that Atman is only necessary for edge cases like Mother Goddess. So maybe neither are really all that necessary.

HHN might also be a problem due to the amount of Resources in the deck, but I am not sure if Shaper has a good counter to that other than moneying up? Perhaps Film Critic and NACH could go in?

Regarding Kati… I don’t think you need her. With Levy, you have up to 96c of profit on Contract alone. When you add all the other econ up, you’re close to 200c available. There’s just no reason to waste your time clicking away at Kati when you already have solid econ available. If the game goes that long, just concede.

As someone who has played a bunch of Stealth Kit, all of you who have high expectations for a rig involving Dagger should prepare to be disappointed.

9 Likes

@higgs_bozo To be fair, a stealth rig vs a rig that uses dagger as it’s killer are 2 completely different things. Out of Smoke, Dagger is practically a str 5 - 0 inf mimic, especially very early game.

@Orbital_Tangent love the tweaks compared to my version. After a few games I think the deck might want a single cloak in it. I think you’re right about Kati… Baby seems better and I can easily see dropping the Patrons even though I was going for run econ/draw synergy. Rumor Mill is obviously the right call over my Polop + Career Fair. Having now been on the wrong side of Rumor Mill as Palana, that card is straight busted. 100% worth spending 2 inf on.

2 Likes

Exactly. It is a better Mimic for most of the game. In the mid-game, hopefully it continues to be so because you’ve got a few Ghost Runners down. In late-game, you’ve Levy’d and are hopefully back on a few more Ghosts.

I can see there being a desire for 1x Cloak. It helps a lot with stacked Sentries taxing out the Ghosts. To be honest, though, I am not sure what the flex slot is. Visage, maybe, but I think we’d be click-drawing a fair amount in this deck because we dropped Patron and Earthrise. Could go Calimsha-style and just bump up to 41 cards.

I still don’t understand the lack of Switchblade support. Y’all realize that the only thing that can tax out Shapers are sentry subroutines, right? Lady tokens aren’t an issue with good play. In all the Stealth I have played I was always disappointed when I had to resort to Dagger. I would rather recur Sharpshooter than play Dagger, tbh

2 Likes

When Smoke actually comes out, the title of this thread will be changed to “Switchblade: the ID.” Just wait.

1 Like

I haven’t had a super big problem with just using Dagger in my PrePaid Stealthy Kate list yet, but that’s really because the PrePaid engine makes you rich enough that sentry subs don’t break the bank. It can be kinda taxing sometimes, but I’m not sure it’s a big enough issue to really worry about yet, as far as that deck is concerned.

Of course, I’m talking about my Kate deck. In Scovak, you get 15 whole influence in a 40 card deck, and have a free stealth credit every turn that you start with turn friggin one. The biggest issue with Switchblade is that you need 2 stealth credits to really do anything with it, and that’s cured entirely by her ID, at least on the first sentry encountered a turn. If Switchblade isn’t played from here to oblivion in her decks, I’m going to be very surprised.

2 Likes