Smoke and Mirrors -- A Scovak Thread

Net Mercur isn’t sweet. Net Mercur is the green Temujin. :astonished:

Against Jinteki thousand cut kind of build. Your best bet is Levy (+at least 1 SoT ofc). Net shield is ok but will not be enough.

Not enough money to use Feedback Filter (best silverbullet against those decks).

1 Like

Any suggestions on how to deal with CTM/Sync? I’m fairly new to stealth, and am happy with how my deck runs in a vacuum, but what I enjoy most about it is being able to run fairly credit-lite (even with temujin). That seems like a recipe for disaster though…

Here’s my list:

Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net

Event (11)
3x Diesel
3x Dirty Laundry
1x Legwork ●●
1x Networking ●
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (7)
2x Clone Chip ★★
1x Mirror
2x Plascrete Carapace
2x R&D Interface

Resource (12)
1x Beth Kilrain-Chang
3x Daily Casts
2x Ghost Runner
3x Net Mercur
3x Temüjin Contract ●●●●● ●

Icebreaker (4)
1x Atman
1x Corroder ●●
1x Dagger
1x Houdini

Program (6)
3x Cloak
1x Clot ●●
2x Self-modifying Code

13 influence spent (max 15-2★=13, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention

Deck built on https://netrunnerdb.com.

This is what I have been working on.

Smoke

Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net (Intervention)

Event (14)
2x Career Fair (Breaker Bay) [color=#4169E1]●●[/color]
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Employee Strike (Data and Destiny) [color=#708090]●●[/color]
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
1x Networking (Humanity’s Shadow) [color=#4169E1]●[/color]
2x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)

Hardware (4)
2x Mirror (23 Seconds)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
1x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (12)
1x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Net Mercur i[/i]
2x Patron (Salsette Island)
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) [color=#4169E1]●●●●● ●[/color]
1x The Turning Wheel (The Liberated Mind) [color=#708090]●[/color]

Icebreaker (4)
1x Dagger (Creation and Control)
1x Houdini i[/i]
1x Paperclip (Blood Money) [color=#FF4500]●●●[/color]
1x Refractor (First Contact)

Program (6)
3x Cloak (Creation and Control)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Houdini AND Refractor? Do you expect a lot of DNA Tracker and other strength 6 code gates?

Archangel is out there. Playing both might be a good call - refractor vs hb and weyland, Houdini vs jinteki and nbn.

@SavageOne the use of both is for testing to see which one I like more

3 Likes

I find Houdini to be the stronger choice simply for the sustained strength boost, but the boost to 6 itself also doesn’t require us to run NRE. The only awkward codegate I can name off the top of my head for Houdini would be Wormhole; with Mausolous on the horizon, this may be more relevant in a BoN-heavy meta than we think. Other than that, Houdini’s pretty beast in stealth.

I agree. Houdini is pretty much the choice right now. Especially since fairchild 3.0 and DNA tracker are both good and going to see play.

Mau will also see play.

For that reason alone, I really like Houdini. It feels very solid in the build.

Also CodeMarvelous, I really like your build with a few tweaks. It feels very solid.

I’ve been having good success with a PPvP stealth Smoke build. Slot in a film critic + nach, 2x estrike and there don’t seem to be any bad matchups.

PPVP + Net Mercur sounds pretty legit.

I was running a PPVP Stealth build for a while, but I found that for the same influence as the PPVPs and a lucky find or two, I could just slot in 3x Temujin instead and probably come out ahead on both money and card slots.

That being said, if you’re not running into any bad matchups, then it doesn’t really matter =P

1 Like

R&D lock is real with the deck. Switchblade is a big part of that. Net Mercur & Smoke herself make sure even triple sentry on R&D is not enough to even begin draining Ghost Runner (I have 1x) in the end game. The only card I’ve repeatedly missed is Clot, but since I don’t run Clone Chips either, it seems like a bad idea to put in Clot. FA is all about fast setup + R&D lock, but sometimes the setup is not fast enough.

Cards I’d like to fit in: “Freedom Through Equality” (really good when it’s cheaper to play), Rumor Mill (there’s a potential problem with Marcus Batty rig shooting), Legwork (though R&D lock + single accesses seem to be OK), Stimhack (because 9c for a click is surprisingly good). Don’t think it’s a good idea to run three currents though, two should be enough, went with double EStrike for consistency, though FTE + Rumor Mill could be better.

PPVP Smoke

Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net

Event (19)
2x Deuces Wild ●●
3x Diesel
2x Dirty Laundry
2x Employee Strike ●●
1x Levy AR Lab Access
2x Lucky Find ●●●●
2x Quality Time
3x Sure Gamble
2x The Maker’s Eye

Hardware (6)
1x Lockpick
1x Mirror
3x Prepaid VoicePAD ★★★
1x R&D Interface

Resource (7)
1x Beth Kilrain-Chang
1x Film Critic
1x Ghost Runner
1x Net Mercur
1x New Angeles City Hall
2x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (3)
1x Corroder ●●
1x Houdini
1x Switchblade ●●

Program (5)
3x Cloak
2x Self-modifying Code

12 influence spent (max 15-3★=12, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention

Yeah, and that may be better…but Temujin is conditional economy, PPVP I find less so. In theory, my deck doesn’t fall to tags, since the econ is event based, though I still try to avoid them as much as I can since it’s obviously nice if you can’t be punished there. It’s also possible to be locked out of your Temujin server early on, since stealth needs all types of breakers + a cloak or something. I’m not sure how big of an issue this is for the Smoke Temujin deck, but I can imagine the corp being able to play around that a bit more than PPVP. One thing Temujin also does is compress the economy into less card slots, which is kind of bad for consistency. Of course you can slot other econ cards in those released slots, but if it’s resource based you’re SOL if you’re tagged. PPVP has a similar problem with not finding the PPVPs, but eh, you can still play the econ ops and just Levy earlier or something.

I honestly think PPVP is stronger in a tag-heavy, gear-checky meta, but I guess you could just slot in more NACH with the Temujins and perhaps redundant breakers even if that’s the case.

edit: One thing Temujin allows you to do is pack in Parasite + Clot + Clone Chips or some combination anyway, and you’ll have a stronger FA matchup AND a good solution to NEXT suite, which I can imagine being a pain for Corroder + Houdini.

1 Like

Yeah, I had to entirely change out my rig after playing against Next. Those Silvers break your back if you are on Corroder. It is pretty much entirely because of that that I am trying Blackat or DaiV in my builds.

Blackat is not nearly as bad as it used to be post Net Mercur. It still sucks vs Curtain Wall, but it is slightly better against Eli some of the time and it is fantastic against spiderweb and Eli.

Dai’V pretty much does the same thing, but can break anything and costs way, way more.

Moral of the story kids is that you need some solution to those low strength multisub ice.

2 Likes

I tried kati jones as well, but a single copy is just not enough. Slotting 2 clone chip is a thing I can consider - 3 mean faster set up though, and I have really no idea what other high-impact 1-influence card in can splash.On top of my mind: datasucker,stimhack, networking. I also found that I don’t need ghost runner most of the time and daily casts as well, so I put sure gamble back in, and made some other minor tweaks - dropped corroder for Houdini and blackstone, added 2 employee strike and misdirection, which is amazing against tag punishment.

The updated list looks something like this:

3 Dirty Laundry
1 Modded
3 Cloak
3 Sure Gamble
1 Misdirection
1 Clot
1 Blackstone
3 Temüjin Contract
3 Net Mercur
2 Mirror
1 Inti
2 Beth Kilrain-Chang
1 Houdini
1 Switchblade
2 Employee Strike
3 Self-modifying Code
3 Diesel
3 Clone Chip
3 R&D Interface

Modded is the 40th card, can be anything else (Dai V for instance)

Too much Smoke, can’t see the Mirror

Event (9)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
2x Employee Strike (Data and Destiny) ••

Hardware (4)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)

Resource (17)
1x Political Operative (Democracy and Dogma) •
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) ••••• •
1x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
3x Net Mercur (Escalation)
2x New Angeles City Hall (Future Proof)
3x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
2x Film Critic (Old Hollywood)

Icebreaker (4)
1x Houdini (Escalation)
1x Dagger (Creation and Control)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)

Program (6)
3x Cloak (Creation and Control)
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
1x Clot (The Valley) ••

11 influence spent (maximum 15)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention

That’s what I’m currently working with.

Not 100% sold on Mirror right now. Very, very often I don’t make use of the returning credit, since I simply don’t want to run another ICE’d up server. MU-wise, the more positive aspect, 3 Cloaks on the board is more often than not just a dream situation or not really needed. Just get more credits on Net Mercur early, if you think they will stack hard. At least it helps with maintaning some sort of SMC/Clot play later on, that’s the biggest upside I can see.

ES to help with the occasional IG matchup - 2x SoT to maintain it, otherwise for Maker’s Eye or Levy. NACH + Film Critic is imho the best way to go against Tags and Boom/Kill right now. Film Critic is very often also good against Red corps. PolOp against e.g. Caprice, since I don’t run Rumor Mill in this version. ProCo has been really good in testing so far, you most likely see it early due to the deck size. There’s also Levy to reset, if you had to draw hard for money/specific cards.

1 Like

I like it. Although in the meta right now, I kind of am off Switchblade. I feel like Code Gates are going to be the ice to beat and lock you out for now.

That might change next pack when you can rez a ichi 1 for 1 or a 2.0 for 4.

Edit - Which you have covered via Houdini. Only thing I really miss in this build is career fair and turning wheel, which is probably entirely a fluff card.

yeah, this looks so cool; i’m excited to try it out

So I’m late to the party, but guys.

Net Mercur is ridiculous.

For some reason I thought it was once a turn instead of once a run. That’s bonkers good. Just gets better when you realize you can use it for either econ option, credit or card. Like… Damn!

1 Like

Yeah. Shaperado. Shit is glorious.

4 Likes

Stealtherado…

(Though, in hindsight, if Desperado had been a thing that accumulated credits like Net Mercur instead of putting into bank, and had been a Stealth card, that woulda been pretty cool.)