The Geist Bazaar + Camera Thread

hm, I read it (the FAQ update from today) as “if you search for something and it’s in your deck, you must find it. Any time you search, you have to shuffle before doing anything else.” Will have to examine the exact wording for rules lawyering.

From the FAQ:

Search
If a player is searching for a card, he or she must find the card,
if able. If a player is unable to fulfill the condition of the search,
then nothing happens, but the deck is always reshuffled.

Text of replicator:

Whenever you install a piece of hardware (including Replicator), you may search your stack for another copy of that hardware, reveal it, and add it your grip. Shuffle your stack.

I would read that is installing hardware, electing to search for another copy, being unable to fulfill the condition of the search (and therefore neither revealing it nor adding it to my grip), and then reshuffling the deck.

1 Like

I’m going to post vids of me playing the deck. I definitely think that certain cards can be swapped around. I’m coming around to the idea of losing one Tech Writer for a SOT. And I think we can do better than the central breakers. Is Aurora ever worth thinking about? :3

Here’s another one: honestly not the best game to show off Geist (yay net damage in Harmony!). And I am very heavily leaning towards playing 1 Vamp to get the most out of this incredibly money advantage.

1 Like

I looked long and hard at Aurora yesterday when retuning my build, but I just can’t see how it would ever be playable. 6 for Eli, 8 for Spiderweb? Eww.

2 Likes

This is the Bazaar Geist that I’ve been playing for the last month.

• I’ve cut the B&E suite because it seemed like overkill. You’re rich enough to play regular breakers and it saves a lot of deckspace. Also it’s quicker to setup.

• I’ve been messing around with TTW lately. Doppelganger and Jack Sinclair are mostly there to farm TTW counters (bouncing). But they also improve the NEH matchup, since you can actually check remotes without losing tempo. With the newest MWL changes I’ll probably change back to my old list with 2xForger and 2xRDI. But hey those cards where fun to get out of the binder.

• I know people will laugh about the cortez, but they were in the original “Easy marks for days” and I never wanted to cut them. They do a lot of work slowing down the corp and getting you easy accesses. With Bazaar replicator they get even better. I would rather cut a Spy Camera than touching one of those cortez chips.

• Also play Crescentus guys!

Bizaar Geist

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord (The Underway)

Event (5)

Hardware (15)

Resource (17)

Icebreaker (4)

Program (4)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Liberated Mind

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

This is from rules:
A player can only trigger an action or ability if its effect has the
potential to change the game state.

And i think there was a ruling by Damon that says shuffling doesn’t count as changing game state. So you can’t trigger replicator if there are no copies left at the time.

I think the “failed to find” is to cover for weird situations where maybe you search and it triggers some sort of deck trash–maybe the search caused net damage (not sure how… but maybe someday?) which caused top card to get milled (via new jinteki id!) which happened to be the last copy of the card you were replicating?

Whoa, that’s definitely bizarre. I had a slot for Crescentus, but I’m not in the denial business right now. I will try yours out. Where’s your FTE!?! :wink:

Thinking on changes to my build: I could cut one replicator or two Peddlers for a Vamp, and then actually put my money to good use.

1 Like

All right, I’m out of work so here we go. I would consider myself an “obsessive casual” rather than “competitive” player, so I would love debate/criticism from the elites :slight_smile:

Our decks are pretty similar, with the biggest differences being commitment to Replizaar, the breaker suite, and the econ resources. I eased off of replizaar a little to get in more instant-speed econ/draw, a film critic, and more flexible breakers. I definitely have games where I don’t get the cameras up as fast as I would like, but I can normally limp along until that time.

The differences between our decks (yours → mine)

##Events:
-1 freedom through equality, + 1 legwork

I tried FTE for a while and I actually really like it. Slots are really hard to find, and I thought that it was probably saving me ~1 R&D access per game (assuming there’s no jackson etc. on the table), which didn’t seem quite impactful enough. If I can find some slack elsewhere, this is going right back in.

##Hardware
+1 forger, -1 replicator

I like having a second forger in hand because I can trash the one on the board to dodge a tag (relying on a hopper to keep my link at 2+) and then immediately install the second. Having more trashable link options on the table keeps things flexible.

I dropped a replicator to scare up some influence (corroder and film critic). I just found that the draw was normally good enough that you find one of them pretty quickly and the third copy wasn’t pulling its weight in terms of slots or influence.

That being said, I’ve also tinkered with builds that focused on trashable hardware (cortez chip, clone chip, bookmark(?)), but they never quite got off the ground. Maybe if there was a good low-cost trashable hardware option, a 3rd replicator to get things humming would be worth it.

##Resources
-3 Technical Writer, + 2 Fall Guy

Fall guy is so, so good. I found that I wanted the clickless burst of econ/draw (and the ability to prevent Traders from dying to all-seeing I if I get tagged) more often than I wanted the econ from technical writers. With writers, I was typically either cracking them with only a few credits on them (to keep up the pace) or cracking them when I was already set up enough that I didn’t really need all the extra cash.

+1 film critic

I am so bad at psi games, I don’t think I’ve ever stolen a TFP. I cannot beat jinteki without this card. Hostage helps to get it on the board early if I know I’m going to need it.

+2 Same Old Thing
Losing Levy at an inopportune time is game-losing, so I like the insurance. I used to only have 1 SoT, but the Legwork (and, if necessary, Hostage) get recurred pretty often to good effect.

-1 Bazaar
2 seemed like enough. With 3x replicator, you can at least dig out one of them and throw it in the bin, but the extra bazaar is always such a drag to see.

##Icebreakers
-1 breach, +1 corroder
-1 passport, +1 peacock
+1 mongoose

I found that many of my losses were against deep remotes: I have ended games on 30+ credits with no way to get into a remote, which is just the worst feeling. Peacock is not a great breaker, but it gets the job done when needed. The second mongoose might be due to residual salt from losing a game due to breaking a grim (mongoose), grim (shiv), and then hitting an archer that I couldn’t break with my last shiv. That being said, people will stack up sentries if they know you’re on mongoose, so having a second can help out quite a bit.

welp see you later

2 Likes

i don’t know if i could ever go down to only 1 Fall Guy. hell, anything less than the maximum amount of Fall Guys just isn’t good enough

i also question the assertion that it gets to 5 link, considering all of the link cards are trashable for usable effects + money and card draw (and 3 of them even more card draw)

also, i think that with the recent nerf to Astroscript, there is less of a need for halting fast advance. rush is the main thing you have to worry about, and Siphon really helps with that

Fall guy is fine. It’s great. But it doesn’t make your tech writers bigger. I haven’t needed 3.

And yes, you rarely get to 5 link, but you could. Especially on the second pass through your deck. It does happen.

I wasn’t even playing fall guy until I swapped out my laundries for fte and fall guy.

There’s Security Chip, but it might be overkill if the deck is already rich (though it can help pave over that awkward point where you can’t keep enough breakers on the table in the early-midgame to get in when you need to). At 0 creds and 1 inf, it’s a pretty cheap splash.

right, I forgot about that one! This is a list I made a while ago, not really optimized at all: Deckbuilder · NetrunnerDB

I ran into slot issues since B&E takes up a lot of space and you are going to want lots of HW to be worthwhile. Dropping B&E freed up the slots, but then it normally took too long to find the breakers I needed. Maybe having Inside Man would help since you could add more expensive HW and use replicator/bazaar to burn your deck down quickly.

Seems cool and fun, I’ll definitely revisit it.

SO I think this deck looks sharp but I think the Hayley does this a little better because you can drop nine cards in a single click and double drop tech traders and tech writers, setting up faster.

also the geist deck often over draws on key turns.

That’s why you shouldn’t play B&E. The main reason why Hayley had an advantage imo was because you were able to clotlock. But afer the NMWL I think Geist might be better.

You have access to the sweet blue cards. And the shaper draw gets replaced by Geist his tempo.

3 Likes

I don’t have trouble overdrawing, and dropping nine cards in a single turn doesn’t really make up for not drawing 6 cards with those Cameras. I also agree with @ryanbantwins that the Geist version might be better post-MWL2.

I still am liking the B&E suite, though. But I’m going to give the 4-breaker Giest a go today.

1 Like

What 4 breakers? Corroder, (zu.13 | gordian blade), 2x Mongoose?

What kind of tutoring are you running? I don’t know how you could make it fit, influence-wise, but I feel like SMC + clone chip would be interesting to try in geist, if only because they become basically self-funding.

FWIW I think Geist is my new favorite runner, and that the B&E version with medium and OCA is much better. The OCA draw engine is fantastic, and with less of a threat of getting blown out by stuff (I suspect 1-2 Breaking news will be the jam for various reasons which I could go into), so your risk is mititgated. Also, getting your pile of 0-1 credit to install stuff isn’t so bad (pre-Levy), especially since the denial package is what we’re on with OCA/Medium Geist. Medium is such a strong card, and the better you get at keeping the corp poor, and RnD accessible, the better the deck gets. Spycam stuff is very strong, but nothing wins faster than a good old fashioned medium pounding.

interesting, I had always kind of assumed that B&E + R&D digs wasn’t a great synergy since repeated runs are hard to pull off with disposable breakers.

Are you doing econ denial + emergency shutdown and/or forged activation orders, or what?

Gave this list a shot. Went through my deck 3 times real fast, and then was clicking for 4 credits a turn. Oof. I definitely missed Technical Writer. I could have been a bazillionaire if I had those.

2 Likes