The Geist Zeitgeist

Lots of good cards to try. This is the deck for Autoscripter too, if there is one.

unfortunately, the corp gets to decide what to derez, so while it could be good on a first turn OAI Curtain Wall, it’s not a consistent fix for CW later on.

3 Likes

I think there is also a Muertos Gang/Forged Activation Orders/Cortez Chip Geist party sack variant as well. Criminal version of parasite. Then Shutdowns, Siphon, money and breakers. Crescentus.

4 Likes

All the strong IDs in the game are strong because they allow you to make a strong deck and contribute directly to the effectiveness of the deck. Any time a new ID comes out that requires a specific style of play I’m sceptical of its worth because it narrows your options and makes it less likely you’ll be able to come up with that initial strong deck.

In this dude’s case, it seems like you’re narrowing the card pool massively to find cards that work with his ability just to make him draw you some cards slower than Andromeda will. What am I missing?

5 Likes

Some of the most fun I have with Netrunner is this–thinking about new IDs and playstyles and making old cards playable. I enjoy testing out the new stuff that seems reasonable–some people like to stick to the tried and true, which is totally fine.

In this case, Cortez Chip goes from a lackluster card to one that says “Corp loses 2 credits and you draw a card, also maybe trash a piece of ice (if you FAO it–actually probably only want to use the C. Chip when FAO’ing).” Another thing I’m noting is that many of his cards cost 0 or 1 to play on the table, which allows him to make space for the new cards he’s hopefully drawing with the ability without losing tempo. I played Val for months and one of the problems when draw isn’t working with you is that it’s hard to keep drawing cards to find what you need without pitching other stuff you want to keep but can’t play because tempo.

So yeah, this is theorycrafting, but for me it’s very fun and possibly will go somewhere!

7 Likes

Fair enough! I guess I’m approaching them from a different perspective that’s all. This ability got spoiled a long time ago and just screams Exile to me. It’s situational card draw in a faction that already has a really strong draw-based ID in Andromeda. Draw 4 cards for free and mulligan if you don’t like them is really hard to match with a draw-based ability and this one in particular seems underwhelming.

2 Likes

Clone chip and Crescentus are very good cards. I think Cortez Chip is superb here too.

2 Likes

Okay so a straight up comparison. Andy gets you 4 cards drawn right off the bat that you can mulligan; after that nothing. Geist gets you a card draw every trash ability, so somewhere after say 6 trashes he’s got you to where you’d be if you’d started out as Andy to begin with. After that he gains you tempo on trashes. For me, given how much longer you’ll take to get the right pieces in play, I can’t see it being worth it. Unless you can somehow craft a deck that becomes unstoppable in the mid-game AND relies on the few extra card draws to function I think you’re better off taking the exact same deck and putting it in Andy and getting those card draws on your first turn rather than staggered throughout the game.

It increases consistency through improved draw (seeing more cards), can be used to benefit you (when I played Exile I’d use clone chip as scorched protection, or punitive protection sometimes).

Once you get down to work, and actually start playing and the paper math goes away, his ability is better than you think. Granularly being able to apply an ability in situations that can come up in game, his ability can be better than 1 big benefit (vis-a-vis Andy), since they let you push more situational wins, which lead to game wins/advantages.

For example, knocking a card off RnD in a vacuum isn’t a good ability, its just a card the corp wouldn’t draw. That is…on paper. In practice, that means accessing 1 more card on a later run, or hitting an agenda and forcing an unwanted ice rez on archives.

I’m not certain yet how Geist’s ability will help here, hidden info maybe (through rolodex)? This one will have to be played to be sure.

2 Likes

I think the cards Geist is playing are enough different that you can’t make a comparison easily to Andy. With Geist ideally you can set up plays in the mid-game where you are getting through normally taxing ice for free (drawing a card) and then Crescentus’ing the ice (draw). You gain tempo while at the same time putting the corp on the back foot.

The kind of pressure will be different. More of a return to Crim roots of econ warfare than Andy’s control style. Maybe?

7 Likes

Yeah, but Andy’s so boring.

12 Likes

The difference with Exile is they haven’t printed a card that triggers his ability since what, Scavenge in Creation and Control? Heap recursion is incredibly powerful and FFG is playing it very conservative with printing more, so he’s likely to be overshadowed by Kate indefinitely.

On the other hand, cards that [Trash] themselves are self-limiting and we’ll see a lot more in the future. I see Geist right now as closer to how Cerebral Imaging was at release - he doesn’t quite have the card support now but there’s a lot of future upside.

8 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa, yes it is, even in theory :)! You win if there are no cards left in RnD! It’s also a good idea in theory to see as many of the corp cards as possible, preferably without the corp dictating which cards you’re allowed to see (which is why RnD > HQ most of the time); spreading out where those cards are increases the likelihood you’ll be able to see them, etc. There are many ways in which repeatedly being able to bin cards from RnD is good both in theory and practice.

Anyhoo, back to the regularly scheduled Geisting. His ability to draw from a trash cost is also nice in theory.

1 Like

I see no reason why underworld contract would work better here than in any 1 link ID…

1 Like

Because it’s thematic. Geist is a magician thief, kind of like Mark Zuckerberg in that movie he was in with Haymitch. Everyone knows magician thieves hang out with shady people, i.e. Underworld Contacts.

As a result, you’re more likely to see UC in your opening hand with Geist, as a result.

17 Likes

Me…either? Double check the post.

1 Like

“Watch me pull a MemStrips out of this hat!”

7 Likes

It’s because Geist has the most reason the run 2 link, because of the breakers.

6 Likes

I’ve had a lot of success running R&D with a chip + crescentus. Granted that run was indexing, but I could go back twice on something like HQ too.

Often cost the corp 4c, nothing to scoff at.

1 Like

I think he runs account siphon better than just about any criminal. The main counter for account siphon is expensive ice on hq and assets. He cheaply breaks just about any ice 1 or 2 times and if those 1 or 2 times are on account siphon or vamp runs you are in good shape. Not to mention you get cheap tag removal with forger and crash space. Get added benefit from same old thing… cortez chip… etc…etc…

1 Like