The Geist Zeitgeist

I’ve been trying some different builds with Geist, too. So far I came to the conclusion that SMC really isn’t that great with him. If you are looking for a 1-of, the chance to draw it when sacrificing the SMC is really annoying … (and it happens all the time - thanks Murphy …)

1 Like

Well obviously you need to run saviore-faire then.

4 Likes

Have you been using the full B&E suite with Shiv or just Crowbars and Spikes with Faeries?

I’d also like to echo how good the B&E breakers have been. It’s pretty easy to get them into “effective range” so you can make “blind” Siphon, Legwork, or Maker’s runs etc.

What have you been doing for econ? Drip + Kati supplemented by Visage and Siphon, and of course the burst Sure Gamble, has been decently effective.

Also, I’d like to put in a good word for Grappling Hook + e3s in Geist. Grappling Hook works on a surprising amount of ice and e3s make Eli sad.

EDIT: New thought: Fisk Investment Seminar is going to make Geist absolutely insane. It solves all of his early set-up issues and almost eliminates Andy’s initial card advantage over him.

I think you can choose to let SMC fire before resolving Geist’s ability.

The FAQ entry on Chain Reactions, if I recall correctly, shows that Geist’s ability goes off before the effect is carried out.

2 Likes

I’ve used the full suite. Shiv is too too good, you must play it. Installs for free, and buffs all your other breakers, and with Faerie sometimes you don’t need to ever use them, they just are STR bonuses. With Autoscripter out you’re golden.

I’m lukewarm on the Underworld Contacts at the moment, but they have been decent. Econ I tried with Daily Casts/Gamble/Kati but I feel like Fall Guys and Forgers and Decoys will be great here; clickless Siphon tag removal + cards. Here’s the current list I’m going to try. Need to cut 2 cards. Could cut a Crowbar probably.

Sac construct will work nicely with Faerie as well as Autoscripter in case you fail a run.

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord

Event (12)
3x Account Siphon
1x Emergency Shutdown
2x Inside Job
1x Legwork
3x Sure Gamble
2x The Maker’s Eye ••••

Hardware (8)
1x Autoscripter
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
1x Dyson Mem Chip
3x Forger

Resource (14)
2x Decoy
3x Fall Guy
2x Kati Jones
1x Sacrificial Construct •
2x Same Old Thing
1x Symmetrical Visage
3x Underworld Contact

Icebreaker (13)
1x Corroder ••
3x Crowbar
2x Faerie
3x Shiv
3x Spike
1x ZU.13 Key Master ••

The econ is deceptive and hard to plan so far, this needs more testing. It looks light, but you save so much cash B&E’ing–it’s significant. I tried Crescentus but never felt like installing it–I think you want your Clone Chips purely for the breakers.

I tried a fun version of connections Geist with Off Campus Apartment and Calling in Favors, seemed like it could work, but probably not as strong as something similar to list above.

4 Likes

Dyson Memchip is to me what memstrips are to @mediohxcore. If I’m not mistaken, they are for him too.

Why not just run global sec, you don’t need the damn MU anyway.

I’ll have to consider the Shiv then. Do you feel like running without Levy is safe? I really like this list though. I’m definitely going to try some things from it.

Here is my newest build that haven’t tested yet:

They’re Illusions Michael! 1.2 (thanks @hhooo)

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord

Event (12)
3x Account Siphon
2x Drive By
1x Inside Job
1x Legwork
1x Levy AR Lab Access •••
3x Sure Gamble
1x The Maker’s Eye ••

Hardware (8)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
2x e3 Feedback Implants
3x Forger

Resource (11)
2x Data Folding
2x Kati Jones
2x Same Old Thing
2x Street Peddler ••
2x Symmetrical Visage
1x Utopia Shard •

Icebreaker (12)
1x Breach
3x Crowbar
3x Faerie
1x Femme Fatale
1x Passport
3x Spike

Program (3)
1x Datasucker •
2x Grappling Hook

15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)

The previous version that I’ve been playing had +1 Data Folding, +2 Career Fair, + 1 Legwork, and Medium instead of Maker’s, Datasucker, Drive-By, IJ.

Like the UCs, Data Folding has been ok, not great.

Street Peddler has been interesting. It’s basically like having 1 extra card in hand. You can use it for board building or save B&E programs on it to surprise the corp during a run.

Running Corroder and Zu.13 might be the way to go though.

1 Like

The idea is that you use Forger until you find the Dyson. Then you use Forgers as tag removal + card for Siphons, so it’s econ. I know ppl don’t like it but I’m going to get some games in with it to really see.

1 Like

It looks like you have enough money to, at some point in the game, spend 3c for the permanent +1 link.

Yep. And hey, link is good, and is another form of money.

14 Likes

This is my problem deck building. Too many cards I want to try. Street Peddler looking pretty nice in your list.

Like the build.

This is what I’m going to try first. Will prob. fail.

Fear the Ghostwalker

Armand “Geist” Walker: Tech Lord (The Underway)

Event (9)

Hardware (9)

Resource (10)

Icebreaker (13)

Program (4)

45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find that you can fill the 3 x Crescentus spot with something else–I never felt like using them when I was testing. Dang, you have Street Peddler too. I gotta get me some of them.

I’ve been playing this in Gen Pop online, and scoring very well.

Geist in the Machine

Armand “Geist” Walker (The Underway)

Event (15)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (6)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]••••• •[/color]
3x Desperado (Core Set)

Resource (14)
2x Crash Space (Core Set)
2x Fall Guy (Double Time)
3x John Masanori (Opening Moves)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (4)
1x Eater (Order and Chaos) [color=#FF4500]•••[/color]
3x Faerie (Future Proof)

Program (6)
3x Crescentus (A Study in Static)
3x Parasite (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]••••• •[/color]
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

Are 10 (did I count right?) cards that trigger the ability worth playing Geist?

13 is my count.

1 Like

On OCTGN? I didn’t see Underway rezzed when I played last night?

@spags - I think 13 is probably enough, though some of them are fairly marginal.

@kenobob on jinteki.net.

2 Likes