The MaxX Thread

I don’t know if it’s the better econ for MaxX but i wouldn’t dismiss it without testing. At least it really seems worth a try.

I wouldn’t run LARLA with Opus tho. Sure i would have a terrible PE Match up but i think i could do better with the spare influence (and one bad match up isn’t that big of a deal, let’s just do the right meta call :p).

A list i want to try soon (with Opus) is this :

MaxX Opus

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (16)
2x Amped Up (Order and Chaos)
3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Inject (Up and Over)
3x Retrieval Run (Future Proof)
1x Singularity (Double Time)
2x Stimhack (Core Set)
1x Vamp (Trace Amount)
1x Wanton Destruction (Order and Chaos)

Hardware (7)
3x Box-E (First Contact) •••
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••••• •
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (3)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (8)
2x Corroder (Core Set)
2x Knight (Mala Tempora)
2x Mimic (Core Set)
2x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (13)
2x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Djinn (Core Set)
3x Magnum Opus (Core Set) ••••• •
1x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
2x Parasite (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
47 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

Mulligan to have Magnum in hand or pray to draw/trash it soon (with retrieval run or Clone chip + eventually stimhack). The plan is to have the full rig installed fast. I go for box-e since i plan to take some brain (amped up + Medium if the R&D is porous is a no brainer). Singularity + Recursion is the only thing who let this deck a chance against PE (but still a bad match up imo).

MU will still be a problem but this decklist is just a general idea and will need a ot of testing.

I like that we’re starting to see some posted, I’d like to encourage everyone to get them out there so we can start to get a feel for what the ID looks like. Tested or not, I’d like to see 'em. Get 'em out boys.

I like divvying up MaxX builds based off their use of the 12 influence, (conceding that LARLA, for the time being, is the first card in her decks).

To add to the 3 Opus vs 3 Lucky Find debate, I’d like to reiterate sly squid’s early build with 2 Siphons in an Eater build. It def gets points for being more thematic, and I think it’s good to build her for maximum aggression.

I admire squid’s focus of having the econ package simply be events (just Day Job, dirty, and gamble in there with the siphons) to play off her natural draw. The only thing his build is missing I think is inject.

Siphon in MaxX, coupled with Wanton and Keyhole/Eater seem to offer a ridiculous amount of early aggression. Play her like a criminal if possible.

Squid’s build has no room for Clones, but one of my favorite things about MaxX is that she breathes life into retrieval run. Splash a Femme and be happy.

I’m a bit reserved on Eater based strategy since it is hard countered by Crisium Grid (you can’t fire Keyhole/Siphon nor accessing cards due to Eater). Since CG cost only one influence you could see it a lot if those kinds of strategy become frequent. =/

Yeah, but Crisium is still a rough include in a lot of decks. It’s a purely defensive card if the corp isn’t playing Off the Grid, and the defense it offers is often inconsequential.

So it’s a hard include, and even if they do have it, it’s highly unlikely they’ll be able to install it on both HQ and R&D. With Siphons, Wanton, and Keyhole, MaxX only needs access to one of those centrals for devastation.

Still, in Squid’s list, it possibly better to cut the safety valves of 2 Singularities and 2 Quest Completed for 2 Datasuckers and 2 Parasites. They, along with the Knights and Femme, should allow for pesky Crisium trashing if needed.

Fast remote play then becomes harder to deal with though… It’s a deck building puzzle, extreme central pressure vs the ability to surprise snipe a remote.

Fine, you asked for it.

Here’s mine - it’s actually tested and plays reasonably well. One Prepaid is sufficient to make them worth it, two are the sweet spot (free Deja Vu!). I don’t really plan on Levying more than once, except for super-long games. Inject is possibly even more critical than Levy is.

The one thing the list is probably missing is D4V1D, even though I haven’t really felt the need for him in testing so far.

Prepaid MaxX

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (20)

Hardware (10)

Resource (3)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (10)

15 influence spent (max 15)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

You won’t like Lotus field with this build mate.

3 Likes

That’s what the Crypsis is for… and yes, I know. Shame she doesn’t have 16 inf, otherwise I’d drop one Levy for 2 Personal Touches. I’m considering dropping Levy #3 for Gordian Blade, but the jury’s still out. Also a possibility is Spooned, kinda wary of it though.

Any other suggestions?

I think you should drop at least 1 levy (if not 2) for an Atman (and something else if you drop both).
Atman in Anarch is probably the best answer to a LOT of issue they have.

2 Likes

I think if Crypsis is your way through Lotus Field then Spooned makes it much less awful. But you need to see both together which isn’t that likely.

Interesting build, but I might take issue with 3x levy. I do think PPVP is fairly solid, but I’m a whore for recurring creds.

I started tinkering with my build, and I’ve decided 3x ret run was mandatory for me. Like squid I eschewed clone chips, however, I still run a full suite of scavenges. The breaker package makes it more clear why - 3 femme 3 morningstar 3 mimic 2 yog - and also 3 of inject. I ran a game with it last night and the set up time was insane (short), and using SoT for scavenge to move the ladies around was great. Also summoning femme as needed with RR was pretty great. I did feel like I was left wanting for knights to ensure RR would work. The archives pressure is hilarious. I’d love to have more inf for 2x torch, but Yog is still pretty kick ass.

In my opinion, MaxX shouldn’t play too much cards who only works when other cards are on board. That’s why Atman is good (it solve a lot of issue by herself) and why any cards who need at least 1 other support card (like crypsis + spooned) is bad. You really don’t want to use recursion on 2 cards to make something works. You want cards who are efficient by themselve (and the crypsis / mimic / corroder suite is really efficient alone), a couple of cards to support it (datasucker/parasite, atman, grimoire), some multi-access and your econ.

I feel the best way to exploit MaxX is by keeping it simple. Every card you draw should be useful, strong and directly usable without much supports.

4 Likes

I feel like that might be true for economy, but as far as programs go, using the heap as part of your grip, and allowing access to the heap grants you flexibility, which is basically the only substantial benefit that her self-mill side effect offers.

I would rather see a larger suite of useful programs go into the trash, and then have access to them. I don’t think it makes sense to place high value on the drawn programs, when you can be perfectly capable of maximizing cards in the trash. True with events as well. The real issue is hardware. What hardware do you want in your deck that you’re fine with not needing or if you need it, its worth running a recursion effect for?

The amount of recursion in a deck is limited and can be milled as well with her ability. Using the heap as a part of the grip only works if you have a clone chip on the board or retrieval run / déjà-vu in your grip. I think the kind of rig MaxX should play are the one you can just drop down on the board and that’s it. Just keep it simple.

By that token, if you build effectively, you’re as likely to draw the recursion effect as mill the breaker. In fact, due to the usefulness of recursion effects (flexibility), it makes sense to run more of them, and fewer breakers, as subsequent breakers don’t add much if any value.

The cost is the additional cost of the recursion effect, which is fine, if its tricking you out with a big powerful effect (retrieval run -> morning star for instance).

1 Like

This is why I think Inject could be key for MaxX, IMO. In a Prepaid econ shell, you hit both your economy and your recursion, so getting money from programs going in the heap is fine.

5 Likes

I agree, I found that inject was crucial for accumulating those hardware I mentioned above. I put in 3x akamatsu and 2x spinal modem (because F*** YEA M*********ERS), inject gave me a real chance at drawing them and not just trashing them, as they are crucial to holding all my programmy goodness. 3x inject for sure.

edit: I should note that I don’t mean that her ability has a poor chance to draw the hardware, but rather that once they’re trashed, there is no sense in getting them back…inject gives you 4 pulls to find them NOW, and puts your expensive programs in the heap, AND gives you a chance to find RetRun/scavenge/clone chip. 100% upside IMO.

1 Like

I don’t normally like Prepaid, except maybe out of Kate, but a free draw every turn, and a very real incentive to run Levy and a bunch of in-faction, really good, events that cost 1+… That’s sounding strong. Hope it lives up to testing.

1 Like

Prepaid MaxX seems very strong based on my initial testing with the Retrieval Run build I posted above. I think I may need to fit more multiaccess into it for fast advance though.

@Calimsha Atman is an interesting idea, especially if you are able to Stimhack/Clone Chip or Retrieval Run it out with pre-paids. The biggest problem I had was fitting influence for a Lotus Field counter.

Do people not consider Knight a good Lotus Field answer? In faction, installs for 2, breaks for 2. Atman is out of faction, and installs for 7 v. Lotus Field. Granted, Atman at 4 can solve other problems, but I still like Yog + Sucker with Knight support (although probably not in MaxX).