TheBigBoy's Elite Player Invitational

Bans are strange:)

For example your last list on nrdb does not feature any of this cards. But features lot of mvl influence. I would definetly ban wyldside instead of faust, all top tier anarch builds use it. Otherwise I expect orange domination as it is in standart meta.

PS actually I would love to see ban of both cards^^

PPS as for wining by jinteki without caprice - i think it’s not that hard without faust and clone chips. Rig shooters Markus Batty(and probably power shutdown) decks should be a thing.

The problem is opinions are like assholes - everyone has got one.

Its TheBBs invitational, he can set the parameters however he sees fit.

6 Likes

I’m not personally offended, but I think that there are several common perceptions about the current state of the game that are part of the broader context that makes people bristle at the naming.

Within the game and metagame, several dominant archetypes are viewed as non-interactive/“not netrunner”/anti-fun. The design choices by FFG have created a perceived dominance/favoritism of some factions at the expense of others (nbn over weyland, anarch over criminal). Within the competitive scene, attendance at large events is down. Some of these may be more true than other, but these are perceptions that I see repeated on reddit, facebook, and here.

One of the things that has been a constant in ANR and has helped it to weather these storms is the maturity and inclusivity of the community and the generally civil and constructive discourse it maintains. I think that is a precious thing, and language which has the potential to alienate players (even though it may be accurate and that is not the intent) chips away at that crucial part of the game and culture.

My final point would be more appropriate to the reddit comments section (but also would get lost there). Defending the name by talking about how much the participants have given to the community and how they are dominant players/trendsetters that deserve the name “elite” is not really helping. It sounds too much like boasting or telling people that they ought to show respect to their superiors.

I’m almost done drinking my coffee so I’ll wrap it up. I really appreciate the contributions to the game and the community made by the participants, and I think this is a cool idea. I think the name is accurate if potentially provocative. People are a little touchy right now because there are a number of problems in the game/metagame/community that have people worried about its future, and we should all keep this in mind when we do things to build a better world (need more coffee

8 Likes

I like the idea and I welcome all new ways to play Netrunner until I tried and didn’t like it. Which will not make me stop complaining about things I don’t like. :wink: So a big thumbs up for @TheBigBoy and best of luck for the event. I am eager to watch the games and listen to the commentary.

1 Like

Have you not played against a dedicated Turing Wheel abuse deck?

The fair use of the card as supplementary multi-access is fine. It’s the Au Revoir application that’s troubling…

1 Like

Oh my God. Au Revoir Turing decks are, dare I say it, good… Setup is slow, but that’s why you do it in CT.

This is a great idea. I’m fascinated to see what the players do with that banned list. Sure, if I were making a banned list it might be different, but the point isn’t really about balancing the game, otherwise you’d want a more systematic approach than one card per faction. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I imagine that the banned list is more about shaking things up than making them balanced. A new constraint will be a skill-testing situation for the players and will hopefully provide viewers with some games that they don’t see every day.

Anyway, I’ll be thinking about what I’d do and it’ll be fun to see how different my thoughts are to those of the invitees. Of course the prospect of watching some VODs of good netrunner is enticing, but the best thing is the original format. Looking forward to it.

And I think that if we are getting sensitive about the word “elite” we’re too touchy.
But I don’t want to offend anyone by saying “touchy”… Forget it.

2 Likes

Andy is the best one I think. You Import the SMCs.

1 Like

All three? That’s 9 Influence. I’d rather get the 3x Au Revoir for 3 Inf in CT, grab Clone Chips / Clot, and then cherry pick all the other Shaper goodies. Plus, 4+ card Maker’s Eye runs! Though I realize CC is banned here…

Just 2 SMC and tons of draw.

3 Likes

I dunno, man. We’ll maybe just have to agree to disagree here. You only gain a 9 card mull with Andy… CT has a lower deck size, more MU, Shaper draw for no Influence, and free Shaper goodies like 3x SMC and Maker’s and Levy.

Perhaps this isn’t the thread for this, though? We can move to the CT thread that someone just bumped. That would be located here.

1 Like

I still found it to be a little too slow vs. dedicated FA decks, and too “not whizzard” vs. the IG menace - but yes - 2 SMC, 3 TTW, Zu, Corroder, Shrike was the influence in the build I was playing. (Cloud breakers because memory is a problem)

1 Like

I’m baffled at the naming controversy.

But my blog is named after myself, so I guess I’m part of the problem.

1 Like

Is there a list of the participants, their location and what IDs they are using anywhere?

1 Like

There will be.

1 Like

There’s no controversy, people are just upset they aren’t Elite.

[quote=“cmcadvanced, post:32, topic:7699, full:true”]There’s no controversy, people are just upset they aren’t Elite.
[/quote]
I wish I could be elite but I don’t even have all gym badges.

7 Likes

Thanks once again to everyone who watched or participated in our first invitational tournament. We had about 150 concurrent viewers, which is pretty incredible!

Here are some links that you might find interesting:

Twitch VOD
Tournament bracket
Slide show with deck synopses
Spreadsheet with player breakdown and decklists

This was the first online tournament that either @TheBigBoy or I have run, so I know that we were a little clumsy on the technical side. Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions for future tournaments. Hopefully we can do it again soon!

10 Likes

This tournament was alot of fun, thanks to both bigboy and Timmy for organising it.

Quick impressions:

Corp seemed like the stronger side, I know I felt alot more secure in my corp, which didn’t lose a game, in testing and the tourney. Crims seemed likely to be popular, having lost the least of the runner factions, which made palana glacier a good choice, especially in a world without clone chips. Not surprised we saw a bunch of batty program trashing decks, even out of other corps.

I think I enjoy the meta more when the corp is stronger. I liked the feeling that my ice mattered.

I think just running the same or a very similar format again would be a decent idea. Wouldn’t mind seeing how the meta progresses after a first round of games.

4 Likes

Looking at the ban-list again, I guess Faust and Clone chip are just absolutely vital cards in the runner meta, whereas the Corp cards were more replaceable. I didn’t miss the Nisei Mk2 in my deck at all, which is weird.

3 Likes