[Updated] I for one welcome our new Whizzard Overlord

Also, since the Kim thread evolved into a Memstrips Appreciation Thread, I believe refugees from there are welcome here.

4 Likes

I’ve gone with Kim (and its derivatives Kiming, Kimed etc) as the verb.

Overall, I’d say Whizzard definitely has the edge against RP and Glacier ETF. However, I’d argue one of the main advantages of playing Kim is you can cut Imp and dodge the tempo/mem hit from it. Scrubber does similar work, doesn’t eat mem, and keeps going forever.

Oh yes. Interns is also freaking huge. That’s basically another Caprice/Sundew you don’t have deal with.

To make a point, take a generic RP list. (The Ice is a bit weird here, but it doesn’t matter for this).

If Edward Kim has 4+ credits to spend and hasn’t used his ability yet, trashes Ash, Caprice, Jackson or sundew, then he has a 53 percent chance to interact with the top card of the deck. Even you adjust for 3xFuture perfect, you only drop to 48.

That’s fucking crazy. You rip through R&D really goddamn quickly. Normally RP can be a bit lax about R&D, but against Kim that’s asking for trouble.

Although Whizzard does this cheaper, he also doesn’t do it nearly as fast.

Now this is not without problems, granted. Whizzard has more game versus low-ops HB, and is less chaotic, but saying that Kim doesn’t do anything special is kinda laughable.

It’s not going to neuter Butcher Shop. But it sure will slow them down.

2 Likes

So someone fit 2 Imp into a Whizzard deck. Go to 46 or 47 cards?

Take L4J.

-1 Sucker
-2 Visage
+1 Progenitor/Memstrips
+2 Imp

Sorry, time zones being what they are - sleep overcame me after putting up my post. Thanks for the hefty reply.

My confusion is assuaged. Your subsequent soliloquy indeed made more sense to me this time around, accounting for all manner of particular scenarios. As I imagined, it’s a bit of a balancing act between your available time/economy/‘resources’ and theirs, regarding using resources whilst tagged. They’re no longer stable, supporting vessels, but many Corps will be hesitant to trash them anyhow, if you put them in a difficult spot, tempo-wise. Plus, after a Midseasons, they’re unlikely to be flush on disposable, resource-trashing cash. Given that 14 pieces in your deck are devoted to resources (the three Fairs plus the 11 resources), I do still find it a little peculiar that you’re not more worried about tags, but as you note, there are certainly situations where it’s arguably more beneficial for the Corp to just draw heavily to try to find their pieces than attempt to kill off your stuff. Nonetheless, I am glad to find out that your approach to tag-floating is much more nuanced and game state dependent than I was giving you credit for.

Heh - not gonna argue with that. Been playing Orange since the beginning of Spin Cycle. Noise, even. Those were truly some dark times. I very nearly gave up on Anarch forever after the horrific one-two punch of Sweeps Week in True Colors and then Wraparound in Fear and Loathing. It was a sad, sad time to be Anarch. Admittedly, I was also a much worse player back then, but yeah, things have swung in our favour enormously since then.

You make some really good points here. Of course, it goes without saying that I am going to be investing considerable time into Career Fairing out and draining my Liberated Accounts (like you, I know I shouldn’t really have to qualify that I was doing this well before @spags and now @eric_c put up their impressive results, but I was playing with the beloved Fairs since before they came out, son - *proxy game is next level), so I’m unlikely to be in a terrible position, economically. But indeed, if I am diligently checking every face-down remote against NEH without establishing my own board presence, even Whiz’s credits aren’t going to save me.

I distinctly remember a game where I trashed all three of RP’s Celebrity Gifts as well as a Hedge Fund out of R&D before they were able to use them - suffice to say, I won that game fairly decisively. You would think that confirmation bias would be actually making me more partial to your argument. Sadly, games such as the one described really only occur with any degree of frequency against lower-level opponents for me. As is oft-mentioned in Edward discussions, if you are getting R&D accesses consistently, and/or with Medium, you’re very likely going to be winning anyway, irrespective of your ability. It’s getting to that state in the first place that’s difficult; once there, I will grant that Edward is able to maintain consistent access better than many, by denying economy ops coming down the pipeline.

Anyhow, this really is the Whizzard thread, and while this has been a fairly interwoven discussion, we should probably cease this Ed blasphemy here. Thanks for the insightful words.

*Also, I done told you:

4 Likes

I’ve been playing Power Shutdown (and I won’t shut up about it, I know :P) since Clot and Blacklist dropped, in NEH. NRE, SMC, CC, and Zu all get killed pretty often. I will say yet again that this is going to catch on (been seeing others discuss it the last couple days around here) and that Progenitor was already great, but competed for deck slots 40 - 45 or thereabouts so often got cut; when PS catches on Progenitor is the natural progression for Anarch,solving mem problems, buffering your NRE, and preventing late game lockout. You heard it here, folks! :smiley:

Starting this game? Pretty sure I first tried this out last August or so. Prob. earlier. :wink:

2 Likes

I call hax. :smirk:

Also, do I get to blame you for Skulljack being an utterly irredeemable pile of horseshit? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Skulljack and Titanium Ribs strike me as being reversed, faction-wise:

• Crims would love Skulljack as an inf-free (and tag-resistant) alternative to splashing Scrubber. I mean, the cost is a little harsh, but it would essentially turn you into Desperado Val against horizontal decks, and everyone knows she manages just fine.
  • Anarchs are so incredibly empowered by Titanium Ribs it isn’t even funny: suddenly, IHW becomes solid flatline prevention even against Butchers (and you can choose not to have both trigger if you have multiples), you get to choose what you ditch after Stimhacking, and best of all, Amped Up is actually usable for pulling off insane event-based combos (rather than trashing your key piece and leaving you there looking stupid)

The only conclusion I can possibly come to was that this is done on purpose, and Lukas didn’t really want to create neutral cybernetics costing influence.

6 Likes

Yeah. Neutral influence cards seem more high power/in need of restriction than this.

Just tested this a bit, nice one! But I guess it can perform only when people don’t bring astrobiotics? There is virtually no tech against it (apart from being Whizz), I think the deck would get wrecked pretty hard.

1 Like

Grail NEH is also problematic, particularly if Snares are involved #knockedOutOfTop8

1 Like

meh- I went 2-0 against astrobiotics on the day in Detroit. Their already flimsy ICE is like tissue paper against this deck, and between whizz and medium you put the pressure on hard. It’s especially tough to escape R&D lock with jacksons and DBS’s getting trashed out of RnD by whizz.

Obviously as always astrobiotics has an out- they can “just win” with the right draw, but this deck felt as strong as any and stronger than many against the FA king.

This seems somewhat accurate. I think there’s a tendency, looking at the card base, against neutral cards with INF.

I didn’t make the cards!

3 Likes

“All the cards tried hard.”

3 Likes

I’ve been working on a Whizzard deck for the past few weeks. I started with Reina Headlock but was unhappy with the lack of consistency, especially versus opponents who are aware of the Headlock plan and play super-careful. Scrubber gave me an important edge in many match-ups so switching to Whizzard seemed natural. From there, Headlock combo pieces were slowly phased out in favor of more mainstream rig components. I tuned the deck mostly for the RP matchup, as that seemed to be the most popular deck at the time. I ended up 4-3 in Cambridge, losing to RP and to two Butcher Shops (my final rank was 12 out of 72). I then took inspiration from @spags/Wooley’s build in the form of more breakers and Medium, added Butcher Shop hate, and ended up with this:

Woolly Mammoth v0.7 (Turntable)

Whizzard: Master Gamer (What Lies Ahead)

Event (11)
3x I’ve Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) [color=#708090]••••• •[/color]
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
2x Vamp (Trace Amount)

Hardware (4)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]••••[/color]
2x Turntable (Chrome City)

Resource (13)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
1x Hades Shard (First Contact) [color=#708090]•[/color]
1x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)
2x Symmetrical Visage (The Valley)
1x Utopia Shard (All That Remains) [color=#708090]•[/color]

Icebreaker (7)
2x Corroder (Core Set)
3x Eater (Order and Chaos)
2x Mimic (Core Set)

Program (11)
3x Crescentus (A Study in Static) [color=#4169E1]•••[/color]
1x D4v1d (The Spaces Between)
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set)
15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Chrome City

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

This list is still work-in-process, so please excuse the lack of polish.

Specific choices:

Economy. A rather standard combination of burst and drip. I originally had Desperado, but the tempo hit versus Butcher Shop was too painful, so I switched to 3x Lucky Find. I should be able to race most of the current Corp builds; while a post-OAI Blue Sun might have an edge, I can quickly recover.

Rig. The heart of this deck is Eater, which enables Crescentus and Vamp – no need to break ice if they cannot rez it. Also, as some of you pointed out, I am not a ballsy player, and Eater lets me facecheck with ease. The satellites are Corroder, Mimic, and Parasites. The Datasucker are a recent addition and are mostly there for the BS matchup (otherwise Parasites are useless).

Tricks. Turntable has been worth its weight in gold in the NEH matchup. Derailing the train is amazing. Medium is a crucial addition (I originally used Keyhole, but adopted Medium based on @spags/Wooley). This turned the deck into a Vamp/Medium deck: you set up, then empty their coffers and go to town. One last trick is the double shards. You can Utopia after an Eater, giving you a weak HQ access and an emergency button versus FA and kill decks. I’m still not sure about the Hades – testing needed, but it seems to me that players don’t prematurely Jackson enough, and that could punish them.

I guess this ended up as some sort of Wooley/Vamp hybrid? I am still tuning + training with this build, so I cannot provide any assurances to its potential. Hopefully I’ll know more in a couple of weeks, post-Philly.

3 Likes

I find it doesn’t have enough creds for Vamp to be effective enough.

1 Like

You would think so, right? I was surprised as well. And yet … even with the previous version (which used Desperado instead of Lucky Find and employed the super-slow Knight), I managed to Vamp consistently. The current version manages to rack up enough of a credit advantage to open up a Vamp window. Note that these are not “legendary” Vamps, I’m not draining the Corp from 50+ to 0. After enough harassment, Crescentus, and Parasite, I can usually Vamp from 20-25 to 0.

Sure. Guess it flows with the Headlock variant you have here.

Also, in this world, I’m pretty sure 2 D4V1D are necessary, esp. with your Crescentus. Can really wreck a BS deck.

1 Like

I agree. I remove one D4v1d when testing – right now I want to test Hades Shard so I replaced one D4v1d with it. Otherwise, D4v1d is wonderful – the fact that it breaks Wraparound, Tollbooth, rarely Susanoo, and BS shenanigans makes it a fine addition.