What beats NBN?

I know the Source isn’t very good (even though I will continue to try to put it in decks). But I would think a 1x Chakana in Shaper seems like a good idea (I know I’m contradicting my previous post now).

Speed is once again king. Time for Nordrunner to dust off his redcoats list again, probably.

I’ve been playing the Dallas StimShop deck functioning under a similar assumption (quick rig is great, and workshop lets me not spend money until I want to spend it). It’s worked okay. If you see Biotic early then you know you can Stimhack yourself to 2 cards. However, I’ve done really badly against Weyland with that deck, and even still it’s only okay against NEH. I will say it’s a difficult deck to pilot. Also not having Workshop or MO early hurts.

Probably just go with Gabe-dexing…

Hello ! Congrats on your wins ! Did you finish first with this deck ?

There is one thing i really don’t understand about it : How do you manage your memory ?! With two 2 MU programs, you can’t have Magnum + Sneakdoor + breakers out…

Thanks for your answer

Unfortunately I only took 2nd place. Managing memory isn’t as bad as it looks. Most of the time you don’t want Sneakdoor and Opus at the same time. Quite often you’ll only need one of the two and when you need to switch the attack vector, you just trash the Opus or vice versa. That said, the single Crypsis works quite well with both of them on the table.

I added one (Chakana) into my Noiseshop and it’s been pretty pimp tbh.

Thanks a lot for doing this, as I definitely did not have time to do so :slight_smile: Instead I read your decklist, tested it quite a lot and (after very small changes - 2nd Emergency Shutdown instead of 3rd Dirty Laundry and Plascretes instead of Crash Spaces) took it to Polish Nationals together with a fairly standard NEH build, finishing 4th out of 51 participants. The runner deck went 4-2 in Swiss (1-2 against NEH, 3 other wins against RP, RP and CI which during those three games didn’t even score a single agenda), then 2-1 in elimination (winning against Weyland, winning against NEH I lost to in Swiss, losing against Tennin in my final game).

2 Likes

Great job, were you happy with the changes? Where did you run into problems?

Hard to say. I used Plascrete because I felt Crash Space makes me safe only from Weyland Scorch, but if facing CI or Midseasons, it will at most buy me one turn more. In the end the only SE deck I faced was Weyland and flatline was never a possibility because I installed Magnum Opus turn 2 and had more credits than the corp all the time. Shutdown was nice, I killed some Lotus Fields, some Tsurugis etc, but Dirty Laundry also helped, I think I should use 2 Shutdown, 3 Laundry, 2 Inside Job as people generally were aware of Inside Job and didn’t give windows to use it to score so I mostly used it as pseudo economy when there was some expensive ice on the outside of a central.

My 3 runner losses were:

• NEH where I made a terrible mistake of facechecking with Opus but no Faerie and of course ran into a Rototurret,
  • NEH where I could not draw breakers I needed while he got early Astros (I defeated that one later in elimination),
  • Tennin with Will’o’the Wisp which went to win the tournament and which was really strong against me with no remotes and killing my breakers, and addtionally, when after drawing cards 16 clicks in a row I got my 2nd Passport, he scored a Philotic, did 1 net damage to me and killed my Passport out of full hand.
1 Like

I’ve been coming back to Stimhack as a solution to NEH as well. Ditching Lucky Find for Stimhack means 3 more card slots (-3 PPVP and -3 Lucky Find) as well as 3 additional influence, which means I can run Corroder, Parasite, and Imp.

Before switching to Stimhack, I didn’t like Atman at 4, after realizing that it’s only cheaper than Corrodering past Eli after the 4th time you break Eli. But Stimhack obviously changes that equation…

Maybe an all Atman rig with datasuckers supporting Parasite is warranted again? That makes me want to run Desperado, but I don’t think the influence can be spared.

As far as the dominance of NEH…

I think Astroscript is actually not the problem card. If anything needs to be banned, it’s Fast Track. Biotic Labor, Astroscript, Jackson Howard, and SanSan City Grid are all cards that fit into multiple archetypes, without which those Corp decks would suffer greatly. Imagine NBN without Astroscript… it would plummet to the bottom of the pack. But here is the situation that is oppressive:

-Runner has scoured HQ, no agendas there. Runner has trashed every SSCG. Runner has R&D on lockdown, killed every Jackson Howard. Corp is on 5 or 6 points with ASPP token. Corp Fast Tracks for Breaking News or ASPP, Biotic Labors ASPP + token for the win, or simply Breaking News + token for the win.

The problem with this scenario is that the runner has NO opportunity to access agendas (despite board dominance) but the corp does. It’s the most non-interactive part of NBN. Without Fast Track, NBN’s best option without agendas in hand is to Jackson-draw. This still leaves agendas in hand for one turn, or requires more hoops to jump through (Biotic + SSCG on table) and provides opportunities for good runners to prevent the score (keeping R&D locked, trashing SSCGs in remotes).

We also imagined what cards might be created to battle the big yellow meanie.

-Runner current that blanks text boxes on agendas. This could be held and played after the first ASPP. While the token remains on the agenda, they now have to fast advance the next agenda with biotic or SSCG, or score a breaking news to clear the current. As it stands, NBN really only needs to have reasonable central defenses and suicide out one ASPP, and the game is insanely in their favor. This kind of current would help combat that, and also be effective against most other corps (House of Knives, Gila Hands, Efficiency Committee, Project Atlas, etc. all have useful post-scored abilities).

-Some kind of card that prevented the corp from searching their deck in addition to another useful ability would also combat this, albeit that is probably too narrow to see play. Would stop Project Atlas in addition, but that is also very narrow.

3 Likes

I think, if Kim can get in early and relatively often, he’ll be able to tear NEH apart. The “getting in early and relatively often” part is, as always, the kicker. But his ability functions without Imp, meaning Imp can be used to double-up (spending tokens to get rid of problematic Ice or assets in addition to Kim’s ability dealing with some of the ops). That said, of the three big scoring boosts NEH has, only one is actually trashed by Kim, it’s the loss of support cards (Fast Track, Ops Econ) that I think’ll really hurt 'em. As long as he can get a solid econ set up, paying the full trash cost for SanSan/Pad/whatnot won’t hurt him nearly as much as being unable to trash ops hurts Whiz.

Might push Making News down a bit further, though, as they rely more heavily on the operations.

Either way, it makes his multi-access options much more troublesome, because even if he can’t spend any money or Imp tokens, he’ll see new cards faster on a follow-up run, assuming he’s using Nerve Agent or Medium. Add in Imp, and a second Medium dig in a turn could be showing 3 new things, which is pretty good, even if that’s a server NEH wants to defend more heavily anyway.

Buuuuut of course, by the time we get him we’ll have more things that’ll hopefully have managed to put at least a small dent in things (hopefully), and he’ll be coming with things that’ll help at least as much as he will (Wanton Destruction being the big one that occurs to me).

This is the crux of it. I think it could be a good temporary solution to restrict (a la Thrones) APP and Fast Track so you can play either but not in the same deck. NEH would still be very good and actually have different competitive builds, but it wouldn’t be out of control. Non-NBN decks could still use Fast Track like Jinteki using it for mind game or Red Coats using it as a way to find agendas when it has scoring opportunities thanks to a safe remote. Everyone is happy.

As more cards (like Edward Kim) come out, the restriction could be dropped if FFG feels comfortable enough with that power level. I know that FFG has to be worried about the meta after US Nats (6 NEH, 1 MN, and 1 something else in the top 8), and I can’t help but think that Worlds will be a lot more diverse (and fun) if they make a change like this unless there is something in the next couple of packs that flips this dynamic on its ass.

1 Like

After playtesting a bunch with shango, I pretty much agree about fast track. The card isn’t as broken as astro, but it is yet another piece of glue that holds the deck together. A lot of our games were won with fast track, often even fast track and biotic labor at the same time.

The runner has to get their rig together quickly, pressure both centrals, AND keep the corp poor enough that they can’t pull off fast-track-biotic-labor turns. I’ve been playing andromeda, which is good for the first two but can’t afford to kill every sansan and economy asset and has to just race.

Another solution - which FFG might be more amenable to (if anybody out there is listening) - would be to give astro the “limit 1 per deck” clause that other, far weaker, agendas are already sporting. That also frees them up to begin printing other good support cards for NBN, e.g. to make psycho-scorch better, without the fear of tipping astrobiotics over the edge like what happened with NEH.

This was the very first tournament and people did not have time to think about how to play against those NBN decks. At Polish Nationals two weeks later the meta was way more healthy. 22/51 players played NBN and 3 of them made the cut to top 8 (finishing 2nd, 4th and 5th), with other top corps being Tennin (1st), RP (3rd), CI (6th), EtF (7th), BaBW (8th).

3 Likes

Same with the German Nationals, NEH was played quite often, as expected. Overall it did a lot worse then most feared. In the Top-16 cut we had 7 NBN (5 NEH, 1 MN, 1 TWIY), 4 Jinteki (3 RP, 1 PE), 4 HB (4 EtF), 1 Weyland (1 BaBW) with a Top-4 of PE, RP, NEH, MN.

2 Likes

This is a NEH hate fest, don’t be bringing your…uhm…whats the opposite of FUD? Well whatever it is, don’t be bringing that in here.

1 Like

If it was possible for any deck to go 90% against NEH, then NEH would be a terrible ID.

Imo, if you find a deck that can go 50% vs NEH, then you have the best runner deck in the format (and it will almost certainly be >50% against most other IDs).

We’ve found it… but it’s standard Andy. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well-built Noise decks and Parasite Gabe do at least 60% according to testing so far. Noise will get better with Inject for worlds, also. You can get that high with Andy, too, but it involves compromising your ability to play the long game against the slower decks, RP specifically.

4 Likes

Yeah agreed. Best luck I’ve had so far vs NEH is Noiseshop and having djinn fetching parasites and multi-access. Clear the way, access all the cards.

Care to share a Noise list? I’ve been trying old school Workshop Noise (2 PW, 2 QT, 1 Diesel, 3 Cache…I wanted to avoid the clunky Aesop’s/Wyldside business so I use QT) and I’ve done well against NEH if I have PW within the first few turns–famous last words. However, I’ve not too much RP success with it…