What's up with Criminal?

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/559537

been playing this leela, debating sleeving it up to punish the yellow meta. so far on jnet i have only played vs 1 nbn, it went fine. other games versus weyland, hb, and rp all went well too. mongoose is pretty terrible, but i dont want to play femme. with the 3 mwl influence i would play an atman but i want the levy for pe and other attrition jinteki, which aren’t too rare. i think 3 legwork is really good right now

i am also curious to test this build with 3 terminals to get a monster late game post levy, would prob slot 1 high risk job if playing terminals

3 Likes

If you’re contemplating the terminal route I would probably recommend Ken. He gets more mileage out of it I’ve found.

I like this list. Solid pressure from all angles. I’m always a bit leery of Sneakdoor without HQI, but you’re building to hose NBN and Leela gets so much use from it that I won’t Haarp on it.

3 Likes

what criminal need is a breaker to deal with large ice. one shot stuff like david or sharpshooter wont work in crim due to the recursion issue, so what about something that pumps for doing things criminals like to do anyway.

Wintermute - AI - Cost 3 - Strength 0.
Name a server on install. The first time you make a successful run each turn place a power counter on wintermute. Each powercounter on wintermute increase its strength by 1.
1: Break a subroutine on named server.

2 Likes

I won a thing with Stealth Andy today. I think it’s still a pretty reasonable choice. I don’t think I have much to add that hasn’t already been said about the archetype, but the only thing it lost to MWL is a cloak and 1 flex influence. I tried a version that ran Box-E and a Deja Vu for recursion (with a Mongoose filling in that last MU), but Desperado is still too good to pass up.

My first game against NEH he had two Archangel on R&D. That was a pain to deal with, since I had to use ghost runner to get in (or let the trace fire, but I never did that). It’s not like you need the ghost runners for remotes against NEH. I did inside job R&D once or twice too.

Like I said on NetrunnerDB, my loss was to Blue Sun Mushin/Off the Grid. Mostly because I realized far too late that I could SOT for Special Order.

The other NEH game was tour guide and asset spam to tax you, but Switchblade walks over our guide and I had enough money to trash the majority of the assets.

I look forward to playing it more once political operative comes out.

piloted this +1 Corroder to 2nd seed outta swiss at a 34-player pre-MWL SC, beating some foodcoats, JRP crap, etc. along the way on no practice. DINGUS KEN!

Got swept out of finals because I couldn’t find a got-dang decoder, which was pretty sadpandas. Not sure what to do there just yet. Siphon into discount public-terminal High-Stakes is pretty much the best feeling a criminal runner can have, I think.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is the right place for this question, but whatever. Why doesn’t criminal have ANY AI breakers? It’s not like fracters or decoders where they exist but aren’t that great, there’s just no AI breakers for crim at all while anarchs have 5, 6 with the new aghora, and shapers are getting a 4th one with Brahman. Is there a method to this madness?

I get the sense that “Criminals have no AI” is a faction thing, the way that “Weyland doesn’t do traps” is a thing. In the game’s early days, that might have been good - Criminal have a lot of hard-hitting events, and giving them good AI would have let them leverage them a lot more. These days, though… I’m not so sure it’s still a good thing to constrain the faction with.

1 Like

Defined in terms of negatives - what a faction cannot do - what can the other factions not do?

The closest thing Crim has to an AI is Grappling Hook, and to a lesser extent E3 Feedback Implants. Maybe Copycat as well?

Either way, some programs on the powerlevel of D4 would be welcome in Crim. I doubt they give Criminal an AI given that Siphon is in faction, unfortunately.

Off the top of my head, Shapers can’t trash or derez ice (Criminals at least get Forged Activation Orders, and Kraken is neutral). Anarch pretty much can do everything. :expressionless:

2 Likes

Anarchs don’t really have tutors, other than Djinn. Djinn is an exception because viri are their wheelhouse.

1 Like

Oh! And Criminals have no recursion.
…yeah, it feels sort of like Criminals (and Weyland, too) have the most strictly negative definitions in their faction strengths/weaknesses.

Weyland’s identity has always been Scorched Earth. It used to be money, but then they forgot to print any new money cards. A lot of Weyland’s negative definitions are explained by “Eh, we’ll just blow them up instead.”

In that sense, Femme as well.

Lack of AI + lack of powerful draw for criminals is definitely something you have to overcome in your deckbuilding.

They could give Criminal an AI with a click-to-run ability, a la Keyhole. That way they could make it a powerful card without enabling AS spam.

8 Likes

Lately I’m wondering if they couldn’t come up with some sort of very limited recursion, specifically for the disposable Criminal stuff, that would feel a bit more… “criminally” and maybe just tiptoe over the line of the color pie? Not necessarily straight recursion into play, but at least the ability to use things more than once? Maybe some hardware that let’s you get back the one-time use stuff, but at a price? First, it would get Geist back to at somewhat competitive without spending all his influence on Clone Chip. Second, it would really open up the playability of some older criminal cards that just don’t see play that often (or only in really specific builds).

Something like:

Keister - Criminal Hardware (3 influence)
0 install cost
Click+Trash - Shuffle all programs with a (trash icon) from your heap into your stack, draw 3 cards.

Trying to avoid the similar mechanics of Clone Chip, I didn’t want it to be a straight install, particularly mid-run. Likewise, adding a single card from your heap to your grip was either going to be underwhelming if you had to trash the hardware, or completely OP if you could keep re-using it. I settled on just shuffling them all back into your deck, and then thought that adding a little draw would soften the blow of this not being straight recursion. Obviously this isn’t a card you want to see in your opening draw, but mid- to late-game this feels like it would give you a LOT more options, without having to essentially have two complete breaker suites.

Honestly, I feel that having a card like this is going to be the only way that the B&E breakers, Crescentus, and Grappling Hook could ever get into a competitive build. Being able to recycle Disruptor, Deus X, Sharpshooter, and SMC feels like it might get a bit out of hand in other factions, but Criminals aren’t going to have the influence to import more than a couple of those.

Thoughts?

5 Likes

I like it. This might single-handedly make Geist with B&Es playable again after Clone Chips cost too much influence. The drawing card bit might be too strong for 0 cost, or alternatively put it in Anarch for one influence, so Geist has to import it. Because who else is going to play that, right?

2 Likes

I think something like Special Order but for icebreakers in the heap would go a long way to making criminals function in the current environment.

2 Likes

It might be better as an event so it clogs your hand if you draw it early, similar to Levy. I think it’d be extremely powerful, but not in a bad way. I’d drop the draw, though, that’s just bonkers.

Here’s a list of all the programs with a trashcan ability:
crescentus
crowbar
davinci
deus x
disrupter
faerie
gorman drip
grappling hook
incubator
llds energy regulator
smc
sharpshooter
shiv
spike

It’s a lot more Criminal-heavy than I expected, though Shaper might love it for SMC and deus/shooter recursion.

That’s the most obvious choice, definiitely, but I feel like all Criminals could build around a card like this if they wanted to try out the B&E suite. Somebody with a thin stack, like Silhouette, could have a good 1/2 of their deck that was trashable programs and a bit of hardware, with the rest being really powerful run events and draw.

As for putting it in Anarch… bleh. Why does orange get all the toys? If anything make it a neutral with influence. :stuck_out_tongue: